Author Topic: Custard - New EDC  (Read 11592 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Custard - New EDC
« on: August 30, 2013, 11:31:55 am »
I don't like it :(
My custards used to always work out perfectly and just lately the taste & texture has been "floury" and I've wasted lots of milk and eggs.
Tonight I made it again and was fed up with the results so thought I'd compare the old & new recipes,  just in case.
The old EDC uses 50g plain flour and the new one uses 30g cornflour. The old one also mills the sugar for twice the amount of time... I don't think the sugar would make a huge amount of difference but the flour certainly does. I think it might be in an attempt to have more GF recipes in the book. I prefer to use GF plain flour if required.
Has anyone else noticed this?
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Custard - New EDC
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:38:19 am »
I guess it's a matter of different tastes Jam. I have always milled sugar for 10secs and used 30g cornflour in my custard. That's what my consultant wrote in my EDC and we all like it that way.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Custard - New EDC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
Mmm,  interesting Kimmy. I wonder if it's the particular cornflour as it has a most unpleasant texture that I've not noticed before.
I also think 10sec is ample time for milling.
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 09:12:48 am »
I agree with the floury taste, I have gone back to the old EDC method with plain flour

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Custard - New EDC
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 12:21:17 pm »
Thanks for your reply Kath, I was worried I was the only one! Back to the old version for me too.

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 05:32:05 am »
Lol - I find the old one with 50g plain flour horrible and use a TBS of cornflour. And don't mill my sugar.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 08:02:16 am »
I always use 10g of cornflour to get the pourable consistency that I like.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 08:04:40 am »
I use varied amounts of flour for mine, depending on what I need it for. Pouring or setting.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline charlieboy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 10:40:28 am »
I made this the other night and preferred it :)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 12:10:13 pm »
Wow! It sounds like custard is similar to bolognaise -in that everyone has a preferred kind :)

Offline charlieboy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 09:46:17 pm »
Made this last week - quite liked it

Offline kent

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 07:16:05 am »
Does anyone know what would happen if you omitted the egg from the custard recipe?

Our son is raw egg allergic (egg cooked to hell and back in cakes are fine though), so am wondering if there's an alternative egg-free recipe anywhere?

I had a look at the ingredients in the supermarket custards yesterday, and none of them had egg in it.  Can we just omit it and see what happens?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 09:06:20 am »
This recipe posted by Jo (Quirky Cooking) is egg free Kent :)
Quirky Cooking Custard.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 01:41:44 pm »
I made the custard following the new EDC completely.  I liked it, a thick pouring consistency when hot to go over my apple roll and when cold, it would have been the perfect consistency for a trifle.  If I wanted it to be a thinner pouring consistency when hot & cold, I would do what CP does - use less cornflour.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chocolatte

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 03:50:08 am »
I made the custard following the new EDC completely.  I liked it, a thick pouring consistency when hot to go over my apple roll and when cold, it would have been the perfect consistency for a trifle.  If I wanted it to be a thinner pouring consistency when hot & cold, I would do what CP does - use less cornflour.

I am very please to read this review. I am glad when the recipes in the EDC book work as written.