Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6068319 times)

mcmich

Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #12675 on: January 19, 2014, 04:58:39 am »
Awesome - a new word I can call those ridiculous drivers when they overtake me going up hills and round corners.

You MANGLEWURZEL !  ;D

Love it - thanks DJ!

;D ;D ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12676 on: January 19, 2014, 05:00:15 am »
That's where we got curious GF. Jeremy  on Gardening Australia. It is a lovely word. I think it is called onomatapia or something similar when words sound like what they mean.  Although I am not sure mangelwurzle fits that description.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:29:05 am by cookie1 »
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12677 on: January 19, 2014, 05:49:11 am »
Love it, Nikkit!! ;D  just might adopt it, too!!!!

mcmich

« Reply #12678 on: January 19, 2014, 06:06:21 am »
Gardening today and cleaning up under the carport for BBQ next Sunday. I always dread starting the gardening but once I get into it I enjoy it so much.  :D

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12679 on: January 19, 2014, 06:08:43 am »
DJ i think you would be hany to have around. Sounds like opening day is getting closer.
Plenty of magelwurzels this way too!
Well we have the pleasure of extra "visitors" in the name of nits. Agh the pleasure of 4 year olds.  He is really cuddly at the moment as well!
Keeps ya busy.
Denise

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12680 on: January 19, 2014, 07:29:34 am »
Driving up to Port Douglas today we were passed on a very sharp curve with double lines by a mangelwurzle driving a motorbike at probably double the speed limit.

Yes it is  onomonopiac cookie. One of my favourite words

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12681 on: January 19, 2014, 07:30:25 am »
Bedlam you poor thing. Do you have a good nit plan?

It is a lovely word isn't it Gert?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12682 on: January 19, 2014, 07:38:55 am »
Only thing to do in this heat, is lie out in the shade, read a book & jump in the pool every 10 mins :)
H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #12683 on: January 19, 2014, 08:02:49 am »
We don't eat manglewurzels ...... Never tried.
Swedes for us fodder beet for the sheep. It is related to sugar beet too. But they are very fibrous too,tough I imagine. Of course if starving would try one. Animals love the sweetness of them. Some are red, some are yellow.
The green tops are cut off at harvesting and the roots are stored in a clamp. They weigh a lot... And are very muddy and slippery.
I will photograph one on a dry day, before and after chopping and of the sheep eating them.

I love this new interpretation for plonkers...... Idiots.... Whatever LOL. It made my morning.
Plasterer back today so better get dressed !

Bedlam no opening is still a long way off. Every day a bit more is done... DH goes FT with work in two weeks so that may slow things a bit. Only the donkey will be left at home and the donkey can't lift!!!! 

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #12684 on: January 19, 2014, 08:33:24 am »
The GD's went home yesterday so I spent the day washing linen and cleaning the house.  Have DS2 and GS coming next weekend.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

mcmich

« Reply #12685 on: January 19, 2014, 08:40:21 am »
DJ i think you would be hany to have around. Sounds like opening day is getting closer.
Plenty of magelwurzels this way too!
Well we have the pleasure of extra "visitors" in the name of nits. Agh the pleasure of 4 year olds.  He is really cuddly at the moment as well!
Keeps ya busy.

Uhh, feel for you Bedlam - I managed to get through the school years with my 2, without nits.
My daughter, a preschool teacher has had a problem since she started teaching  ??? luckily she has very fine blonde hair. She has found rinsing her hair with vinegar (just plain white) a very good deterrent.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #12686 on: January 19, 2014, 10:50:02 am »
Driving up to Port Douglas today we were passed on a very sharp curve with double lines by a mangelwurzle driving a motorbike at probably double the speed limit.

Yes it is  onomonopiac cookie. One of my favourite words

Gert

My dad (who was a life long motorbike enthusiast) used to call those sorts of riders "temporary Australians" Gert. I think mangelwurzle is a lot catchier though!
Went to Sovereign Hill today, first time the kids have been and they loved it. Great day, well worth the drive to Ballarat. Didn't find any gold in the creek though.
Watching Escape to the Country right now, yes I'm a fan too 😀
And it's onomatopoeic by the way 😉
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12687 on: January 19, 2014, 11:02:45 am »
DH and I spent the weekend at a hotel in the city as an early 25th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. We had a lovely weekend. We each had to organise a surprise outing, DH arranged a dinner river cruise for Friday night which was great and we then had a great time at a bar speaking with two German tourists - drank way too much and didn't feel very well on Saturday. My surprise was a trip to an authentic Japanese bath house and then a massage. DH wasn't so sure about the bath house but it was certainly experience, and something we both wouldn't mind doing again. We ate at a few restaurants we had been wanting to try and all the food was great. All up we had a lovely few days but it's back to the reality of work bright and early tomorrow with DH starting at 5.30am!!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12688 on: January 19, 2014, 11:08:43 am »
What a great weekend Wonder, well planned by both of you - what a great idea. Best wishes to both of you for another 25 happy years together.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12689 on: January 19, 2014, 11:11:09 am »
Wonder.. What a brilliant gift to yourselves !!!  A wonderful idea- and great gifts to each other ..Congratulations on your 25th!!