Author Topic: Mango chutney  (Read 28665 times)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
Re: Mango chutney
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 12:15:46 pm »
Times like this I miss living in FNQ!  Mangoes are always green on the trees around this time of year...   :-))

Yum!  8)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline cottchick

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 08:15:19 am »
I've got this cooking now, ten minutes to go and it smells fabulous. I'm just looking at Indian curry recipes to make a curry for tonight to go with it!

Offline Zelda

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 10:52:05 am »
I've just made this and it is really runny  ??? I ended up adding some cornflour towards the end but it didn't do much. Am going to refrigerate and hope this helps solidify it and cook some more tomorrow. Was hoping to use it at a BBQ tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
    • Jacq's Thermomix Recepten
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 11:31:19 pm »
Sad to hear it's so runny, Zelda. That has never happened to me before, I''ve made this a number of times and everytime it is okay. I have noticed a difference when the mango's are ripe, the chutney is not chunky anymore and is a bit runnier, but even then it is still okay. You can try to cook it a bit longer?
Jacqueline, Ridderkerk, Holland

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 11:50:06 am »
Hi guys, I would love to try this, it sounds yum! Problem is I've never heard of 'fenugreek'? Neither of the shops in town have it, or nigella seeds. Could I substitute something else? Mixed spice maybe? I dont want to leave making it too long or my mangos will go off :(

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 02:23:19 am »
Hi guys, I would love to try this, it sounds yum! Problem is I've never heard of 'fenugreek'? Neither of the shops in town have it, or nigella seeds. Could I substitute something else? Mixed spice maybe? I dont want to leave making it too long or my mangos will go off

My mango's are still on their way, but I ordered fenugreek and nigella seeds on ebay.  I noticed our local kitchen shop has a good range of herbs the other day.  I have never seen either of these in coles or woolies.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2011, 05:58:11 am »
I don't think I've got any hope of finding them in Karratha  :( However I found an indian spice website that says you can subsitute cumin seeds for the nigella, and just leave out the fenugreek, so thats what Im going to try!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:20 am »
I'm sure it will still be lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jacq

• View Profile
    • Jacq's Thermomix Recepten
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 06:50:31 am »
Let us know how it turned out without the fenugreek, Red Kell. I think fenugreek is one of the spices added in curry powder.
Jacqueline, Ridderkerk, Holland

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 07:02:07 am »
yes please i would like to know 2 ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 08:35:50 am »
Hi guys, I would love to try this, it sounds yum! Problem is I've never heard of 'fenugreek'? Neither of the shops in town have it, or nigella seeds. Could I substitute something else? Mixed spice maybe? I dont want to leave making it too long or my mangos will go off :(

Nigella seeds are another name for onion seeds, according to the Indian Cookbook. I bought them at our local green grocery.
Kerryn

Offline nola276

• Fishing, Caravanning, Painting and now Cooking.
    • View Profile
    • Watercolour Walkabout
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 10:44:11 am »
Red Kell,  You live in Karratha.  Lovely place, my daughter also lives in Karratha - and has a Thermie.
Cheers, Nola.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why it's called the present.
My Blog: http://watercolourwalkabout.blogspot.com/

Offline Red Kell

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2011, 10:46:01 pm »
Well, I cut up the Mangoes all ready to make this, got out all the ingredients and realized I've run out of cardamon! >:( I've taken this as a sign that I'm not meant to make this just yet, so have frozen the mango instead! :-)) Sorry, maybe next time I'll be a little more organized LOL!!!

Offline greenie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 05:53:40 am »
I'm just making this now with ripe mangoes.  Oddly I couldn't fit the water into the bowl, so left it out.  Was probably just as well because after 90 mins of cooking it is still fairly thin.  Will thicken up sufficiently when cool i think, but I'd say skip the water if you're using ripe mangoes.

DH and DD report it is delicious too!  Thanks for the recipe :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 06:41:43 am »
I found out last year that pantry moths love Nigella seeds. :'(
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/