Author Topic: I got a surprise Thermomix for my b'day......  (Read 7884 times)

Offline flute

• View Profile
I got a surprise Thermomix for my b'day......
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:19:27 am »
Hi everyone!

My darling hubby brought me a Thermomix as a suprise birthday present 3wks ago. I'm trying not to take it as an insult on my cooking but rather a present to save me time. Something we all need more of. We hadn't even seen it in action.

I am a mother of 2 boys- a 12yrs old and a 13mths old. My younger boy is severely allergic to nuts and I am gluten free. It was getting very difficult to make quick and easy meals we could all enjoy. Any prepackaged or convenience food were out because lots of things contain 'trace of nuts' or gluten. Making everything from scratch was taking a long time.

I have been learn lots about the Thermomix but also have lots of questions. Hopefully I can ask some on here? I havent even attempted with my Veroma yet (thats the steaming thing for the top isnt it?). I have a lesson with my sale person tomorrow.

Thanks, in advance for welcoming me. I am very keen to hear any tips and tricks. And can someone point me in the direction to ask some questions?
Flute-
Oh and I am in Melbourne.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: I got a surprise Thermomix for my b'day......
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 07:05:53 am »
Hi flute, welcome to the forum.  What a lucky lady you are - it must have been such a big surprise to receive from your DH. I'm sure he only wanted to make life easier for you not hint that your cooking was no good  :D :D  There are plenty of members in the same boat as you (I'm not one of them though) so just ask anything you want.  No question is deemed 'silly' on this forum and very few questions go unanswered.  On the main page there is a heading Questions? Technical Issues etc where you can ask but you can also put your question within a topic or a recipe if that is what the question relates to.  Some of the girls have blogs and you will soon learn who they are and can check out their recipes for all sorts of allergies.  Good luck with your cooking and hope you enjoy your varoma demo tomorrow too. I love steaming things - it's a cinch to use.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Kym

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:55:48 am »
Lucky you and welcome!

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 08:21:19 am »
Congratulations on your present. I have coeliac disease and two young kids and not a day doesn't go by when I don't use my thermie. To cook gluten free food from scratch as well as the speed of getting everything prepared and cooked has been a godsend. The special diet section of this forum  is especially good  for tips on gluten free recipes and ideas. I also bought the wheat free cookbook that thermomix puts out and this has some nice recipes in it also. The thing you'll find though is that once you get started on the EDC and other specific thermomix recipes  you learn quickly how to adapt any other favourite recipes you might have. Also, a lot of the forum members here obviously have a wealth of experience and I've found that people discuss just about any topic. If you have a question you'll  usually get a very informative response really quickly and everyone is so passionate about cooking with their TM.  Enjoy your new gadget because your cooking won't ever be the same again!!!!! 
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 10:52:12 am »
Hi and welcome flute. What a wonderful gift you have been given. It really will make your life so much easier. As Judy said there are lots of people on here ready and willing to help with any problems you may have, no matter how small.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:43:40 pm »
Welcome to the forum flute.What a lovely birthday present from your DH.Many forum members have special diets so you will find lots of inspiration here.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:56:06 pm »
Welcome Flute!  ;D  What a wonderful husband!!!!  Mine was quite happy for me to buy one when I first saw it too, knowing it would save me so much time!  We eat dairy free, wheat free (sometimes gluten free) and naturally sweetened as much as possible, so we get heaps of use out of our tmx. You're going to love it!!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline flute

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 01:07:14 pm »
Thanks everyone. Such a warm welcome.
Im going to head over the the questions section in a minute- just searching to make sure I dont ask the same questions that have been asked 100 times before.
But I am having trouble with the noise. My kitchen is very open planned and its an issue when we have it on and want to watch TV. It can also wake the baby if doing hard foods. But I have been searching and I dont think there is anything I can do about it. Oh well- healthy food is worth the noise.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 01:08:55 pm »
Yeah, you just have to plan ahead for any grinding - do it when the baby's awake!  Eg: when grinding grains for flour, do a couple of batches and freeze them so if you're going to make bread when bub's asleep, it won't be so noisy!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:06:01 pm »
Welcome Flute. What a lovely birthday present. The TMX is noisy when grinding but as QC say you will learn to work around it. Happy cooking
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 10:26:20 pm »
The noise is unavoidable and my kids always tell me to stop the TM when they're watching play school or whatever so I tend to do the noisy stuff just before I get home from work and pick them up from creche or if my husband has them outside when they won't notice the noise! I just figure the noise is a  small price to pay when you consider what you're actuallly asking the machine to do and how powerful the motor is.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 01:46:31 am »
Welcome flute,  what a wonderful gift.  Learn to work around the grinding noise and you will have great fun making things.   Ask for help if you need it.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 04:39:41 am »
Welcome flue, my kids soon got used to the noise and would sleep through it, same as I could vacuum their rooms when they were asleep lol. The more you use it around them, the more they get used to it. You are going to love your birthday present and unfortunately DH is going to find it very hard to top lol. The more you use it, the more you will use it is my motto, as you find more and more to use it fore. ENJOY  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline salval

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 05:13:22 am »
Hi Flute, welcome.

I'm one of those women who, if given an "unasked for" kitchen appliance for their birthday wouldn't be happy (I hate cooking)... But a Thermomix is a different story entirely! :) What a fantastic present!! I've had mine for a month & don't know how many times I've commented that it's the best thing I've ever bought! Love it, love it, love it..

Hmmmn it is a bit noisy, but you (& children) get used to it. It's worth it.

Happy cooking.. and ask heaps of questions. Someone always has an answer for you.
Mum of 3 (2 x 2-legged & 1 x 4-legged)
TMX Consultant in Newport, Melbourne

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 06:40:30 am »
Welcome.
What a brilliant surprise present and given your circumstances will be a real god send for you.
You do get used to the news. Personally I like the fact I can't hear the kids over it - often consider going and grinding some ice when I've had enough of them, lol, but then they'd be swarming around asking what I'm making them, lol.