Author Topic: I can cook!  (Read 7388 times)

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
I can cook!
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:46:57 pm »
Just had to share:

I am a lousy cook. No, really, I am. I boil rock hard eggs, my pasta goes too soft and my oat porridge too gluggy. I spend hours cleaning the base of my pots and pans because I burn them (occasionally toss em out, too!).

My poor family have been living off terrible homecooked food and takeouts. When going to potluck parties, I rely on instant spice mixes and sauces in jars. Even then the taste would be mediocre -- too bland or, in most cases, too salty!

Then I got the Thermie and in one day I have turned into a real cook!!! The miracle machine was delivered on Sunday afternoon and since then I have cooked:

- Restaurant quality mushroom risotto
- Cauliflower Chickpea curry that is so yummy my husband had 3 servings of
- Pizza bread (ok, it was supposed to be just pizza but the dough was too thick and turned into pizza bread instead which was still yummy!)
- Zucchini muffins -- my fussy miss 2 just adored them and ate 3 yesterday (unheard of!)
- Carrot cake -- still need to work on icing and my oven played up a little, but there was no doubt as to taste.

My husband has strongly opposed me in my decision to get the Thermie (I paid for it myself after a few months of saving up) and is slowly coming around. He can't believe how easy and mess free the cooking is. It's funny because I know he is in awe but because of male pride, he tries not to show it :)

I can't wait to try out more dishes and surprise myself with my own abilities as a cook (or should I say 'mixtress'?).

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
Re: I can cook!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:51:26 pm »

Thought I'd delight you with some pictures :)

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 10:54:03 pm »
Well done Thermielove your food looks great, keep experimenting and cooking  :)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:05:25 pm »
You go girl!!!!  That's fantastic!  oh, how I can relate to some of your past experiences!!! ;D ;D  Just keep on cooking quietly (or not so quietly as the case may be - grinding wheat at sp 9 anyone?) and your DH will about turn 180 degrees!!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »
Fantastic, great cooking. You'll be an excellent cook before you know it.

:)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline dhitri

• View Profile
    • Thermie Love
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:59 pm »
Thank you, everyone!

Forgot to mention that this morning I cooked the fluffiest, most heavenly porridge... It was 50g rolled oats, 250 milk, cooked at 9 min, 90 degrees, speed 3. I forgot to pulverise the oats beforehand but the porridge turned out beautifully!!! I added crumbs from thr carrot cake and chopped nuts to it and it was gorgeous dare I say.

Sorry for the newbie enthusiasm! I am sure all of you would understand ;-)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »
Well done ThermieLove, love your photos and love how your lives are going to be turned around.  Just wait until the next pot luck party, boy are they going to get a surprise when you turn up with goodies made from scratch.  

With the pizza, did you use the whole batch of dough to make just 1 pizza instead of dividing it up into 3-4 pizzas?  Also, I once made mine first thing in the morning and by the time I cooked them at lunchtime, they had risen.  Being new at the game then, I didn't realise that would happen and should have cooked them straightaway.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:39:24 pm »
Wow Thermilove...you have made an incredible turn around!
Yummy food photos too
You'll get him admitting it was a good desicion or using TM soon too (if you let him use it!! ;) )
:D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »
wow, hubby will love you, no stopping now. :)
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:01:18 am »
I love your quiet determination in saving up for it yourself. You will be the best cook on the block  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 03:11:50 am »
Isn't it great when things turn out, inspires you to try more things, I just made soup, (it's cold down here today). Threw in any veggies I had and some Veggie Stock from the EDC  and Voila 30 minutes later I was eating lovely creamy soup,  when you cream it at the end of cooking just remember to take the speed up slowly to 8 or 9 and whizz for 1 minute.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 06:18:11 am »
Impressive TL, well done!!!!! :D

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 06:22:04 am »
Well done!  Isn't it great to have the wonderful feeling of accomplishment.
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 06:52:41 am »
That is a great effort, wonderful photos.  I'm sure DH is impressed with your skills and your new machine.   I am sure he will enjoy the great food you prepare. Well done

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 06:57:18 am »
I so understand where you're coming from TL, I refer to myself as a "born-again" cook since I got my TMX. Good for you!
Melbourne, inner north