Author Topic: Creamy Vanilla Frosting via ILB  (Read 152271 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Creamy Vanilla Frosting via ILB
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:42:56 pm »
Creamy Vanilla Frosting (originally from the 2009 Thermomix Calender)

Ingredients
35g plain flour
200g whole milk
150g sugar
200g unsalted butter
35g natural vanilla extract

Frosting Method
Place flour and milk into TM bowl and blend for 5 seconds on speed 6. Cook for 15 minutes at 80C on speed 4. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pushing plastic down onto surface of mixture. Cool completely.

In clean TM bowl add sugar and pulverise for 15 seconds on speed 9.
Add butter and chop for 5-10 seconds on speed 7.
Insert Butterfly and aerate butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes on speed 3 with MC off to allow air into the bowl. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary.
Add vanilla and beat for 6 seconds on speed 4.  
Add cooked milk mixture and continue to beat for around 2-3 minutes on speed 3 until very smooth and white.  
Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes (NO LONGER, NO LESS!) Use immediately.

Warning this is delish!!

Members' comments

maddy -  Once the butterfly is added you leave it in until completion of this recipe. I usually whip it in 1 minute intervals, stop and scrape jug, and repeat that process 3 times.
Truly, I think this is the best textured/tasting buttercream....so silky and doesn't taste like your eating a mouthful of butter with gritty sugar, which I find most buttercream recipes do.
I now just use this recipe, and have been experimenting by adding different flavours in place of the vanilla.

If you are piping swirls it will take more, so yes probably 12-14 cupcakes.
If I pipe a large rosette, I can  ice 18-20.  If using it for a covered cake, definitely double the quantities.

maddy - Raspberry Frosting

35g plain flour
200g whole milk
130g sugar
200g unsalted butter (room temp.)
70g raspberry jam (any flavour would work)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 drops pink food colouring

Place flour and milk into TM bowl and blend for 5 seconds on speed 6. Cook for 15 minutes at 80C on speed 4. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pushing plastic down onto surface of mixture. Cool completely.

Insert Butterfly and aerate butter and sugar for 2 minutes on speed 3 with MC off to allow air into the bowl.

Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla, jam & colouring, and mix for 6 seconds on speed 4.

Add cooked milk mixture and continue to beat for 3 minutes on speed 3 until very smooth and white. (scrape jug periodically)
Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes (NO LONGER, NO LESS!)

maddy - Chocolate Frosting
I add in 35-40g dutch cocoa when you whip the butter/sugar together.  I usually add 1 tsp vanilla extract too. Just taste it, and add more cocoa if you wish.
I have added around 40g of jams with success....so I might actually try ice-cream topping next, see what that tastes like.

maddy - Banana Cream Frosting
I made the flour/milk mix first, and left to cool.  
In a clean jug blitz 70g chopped banana into a puree, doesn't have to be perfect as it's whipped with the butter later.  (I used ripe, but not over ripe with dark spots).
Cleaned and dried jug, carried on with recipe and added the banana with 1 tsp. vanilla extract, after the initial 2 minutes of sugar/butter whipping.
You can taste the banana, and it's just as smooth

maddy - Strawberry Cream frosting
I blitzed 50g strawberry conserve in my mini processor and added with 1 tsp. vanilla extract.

maddy - The amount of vanilla extract - I always use 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, so the amount for this icing is perfect. If I am adding other flavours to it, I will just  use 1 tsp.

maddy - I can confirm that using brown sugar (light), makes a lovely caramel icing. Follow the exact process, but only adding 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract for a single batch.  The sugar won't mill down like raw or white, but the end result is still free from sugar grittiness.

maddy - if I plan to make this icing, I do the roux in the morning, leave on bench & it's ready to proceed when cupcakes are made.
You can double this icing quantity successfully, if lots is needed. I wouldn't go more than double.
Doubled, it really is to the brim when whipping.  I also find 50g vanilla extract is plenty for doubled quantity.
This amount will cover 40-50 cupcakes, as long as icing not piled too high.

Frozzie - different but so velvety and divine and you can add whatever flavour you want to it in the place of the vanilla. Also I did the first step and put it in the fridge once cool overnight and continued on in the morning so I think this recipe is very forgiving and I didn't put it in the fridge either after it was made.

johnro - Try it with Kahlua instead of orange juice / vanilla - probably not the best for children's cupcakes but I made ILB choc cake substituting coffee instead of cocoa and adding some crushed oreo biscuits - thanks for the suggestion Maddy.

samanthahobbs - Thanks for this recipe. I have never been able to successfully make a decent icing!! This was awesome.
I froze the left overs - so will see how that goes when thawing for the next cake.

CP - this icing is deeeelicious!

KarenH - I have made this frosting several times, and it is always fabulous.  
Last weekend I some leftover, so kept it in the fridge for 2 days.  I brought it back to room temperature, then tried to colour it yellow with some Queen brand liquid food dye from WW.  The frosting "split" and went all grainy, and didn't pipe well at all.
Not sure what happened, since I have coloured this frosting before, but i have always added the colour at the time of making it, not later on.
Just a warning for anyone who might try the same as me .......

maddy - Karen, that's interesting.  I haven't saved any excess in the past....some things just don't keep well in fridge or freezer, then brought back to life.  I would rather make a fresh batch when needed.

Cookie1 - I made this for the first time yesterday. It is yummo. I love this icing. I make it and then freeze the left overs for next time.

Jeninwa - My first time making the vanilla frosting it sure is yummy. I read through all the topic before making and using, got some great tips.

ES - I have made this 4 or 5 times, and twice it has curdled on me. Yesterday, I had refrigerated the cooked milk mixture, and I wonder if this caused it to curdle. Should I just bring it down to room temperature?  I managed to save it by adding more icing sugar and whipping it for a bit longer.

Katiej - I've made this frosting quite a few times ES and its never curdled on me.  I always put the cooked milk mixture into the fridge to cool, so I don't think that's the problem.

maddy - ES...that's really strange. Haven't had that happen. I always leave to cool completely on the bench before using,  but I have refrigerated if not using that day....sorry, I have no answers for you.

Wonder - ES I've had great success with this recipe and prefer it over buttercream now. I put the cooked flour and milk mixture straight into the fridge and it's very firm (solid) when I put it back in for remixing with the other ingredients. I've also forgotten to refrigerate it after making and before piping and it still worked although a little softer. I've also used a few different types of colour and not had a problem - sorry I'm not any help.

Brumington - I made this with the strawberry jam and it was lovely. I'm now planning my sons birthday cake and saw a fire engine that I'd like to attempt (a Betty Crocker one on YouTube). I have a few questions to ask the experts...
Can I colour this using gel colours?
I'd be decorating the cake the day before the party - will the icing be OK out of the fridge over night? I live in QLD by the way!
Would it be stiff enough to use in this sort of thing? I actually don't remember myself!

Wonder - Brumington, I find this icing not as stiff as normal buttercream. While we prefer the taste and texture of this one, when making a character cake where there isn't piping involved I prefer the buttercream. I seem to be able to get a more even finish, but I think it will really depend on the finish you are after.

berringamababe - I have made this a few times also had it curdle on me.  The room was quite warm and I thought that might be he reason why.

KathD11 - will the icing be ok (once on the cupcakes) out of the fridge overnight?

Wonder - KathD11, I've left mine out of the fridge in an airtight container for a couple of days and they were still fine - at least I didn't hear any complaints.

jo nz - It was SO delicious, and I'm making it again right now as DS has asked me to make a cake for his end-of-year shared lunch at school.  I iced it and left it out of the fridge for the party, but preferred the firmer texture from being in the fridge (there was a small piece leftover, but many people had seconds), so I'm making it today to refrigerate overnight.

VieveMS - Just whipped up some of this frosting to go on some cupcakes.  It's in the fridge now and then I am going to attempt to pipe it onto the cupcakes. I made a couple of Maddy's musk stick flowers as well.

Thermo18 asked, can hi lo milk be used
johnro replied - I always use skim milk for this.
Thermo18 - Thanks johnro, I did a trial run with the Hilo milk and it worked and it taste wonderful thank you so much.

Greyhoundmum - Just made a batch of this for the first time, I used cocoa and Baileys.

BZB - Lovely icing. Silky mouth feel and very easy to pipe. Just a tad too sweet. Will reduce sugar next time. Hope it won't affect the texture.

Jamberie - This icing is fabulous! And I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread (and others), there's no way I'd have been able to make these without your help (I tried).

My contribution to the knowledge of cupcake icing... is to start making the flour/milk roux before making the cupcakes. Hopefully the cupcakes and the roux will have cooled by about the same time (which is great for impatient people like me).

I made strawberry flavoured...I added 1.5 capfuls (Queen brand) of flavouring and a teaspoon or two of 'rose pink' colouring (also Queen brand) and continued to whizz it for another minute to make sure the colour went right through. Then sprinkled a little bit of fairy dust over the top.

I used a Wilton 1M tip and circled from the outside in.

I used the White Wings gluten free flour and it worked well, all the gf people at work were very happy to see lovely cupcakes they could actually eat.

Lovely-lindaloo - I added some strawberry sauce that I had in the fridge that I had made the day before, which was just like strawberry ice cream topping. The cup cakes were a white chocolate mud cake non thermomix. They went down a treat at work. Thanks for everyone that contributed to this thread as you also contributed to my success.

Meggsy Moo - This is the reason I joined the forum ...I came across this recipe/forum when looking for a thermomix buttercream recipe ( I have tried a few and had a few disasters ) but it was the best buttercream I have ever tasted it was amazing ..thank you
I made 2 batches one with raspberry jam and one vanilla..one word ...yum.
I have also made a salted caramel frosting and it was yummy!! I just used the Nestle Top N Fill approx  1 1/2 table spoons and about 2 good pinches of sea salt flakes and it worked.

Bootobethin - I have made this dairy free and used soy milk and Nuttalex.
The Nuttalex is not as firm so I added slightly more sugar. It worked OK. It tasted great.

snappy - I've just made this icing for a full sized cake.  I made only the single amount and it was enough to cover the cake and sides as well as a thin layer in the middle.  Unless you are doing a 3 tier cake you shouldn't need to double.

teagg - I made a double batch today and cooked for longer - originally planned to double the time but stopped it earlier. Upon reflection I think it should have had double the time. Or at least longer than I did - however I didn't keep track of the time.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:12:28 pm by judydawn »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Creamy Vanilla Frosting via ILB
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 03:03:21 pm »
ok i posted this as it was in many other links but didnt have a post of its own and it deserves it...different but so velvety and divine and you can add whatever flavour you want to it in the place of hte vanilla..also I did the first step and put it in the fridge once cool overnight and continued on in the morning so I think this recipe is very forgiving and I didnt put it in the fridge either after it was made... :)

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:28:06 pm »
Try it with Kahlua instead of orange juice / vanilla - probably not the best for children's cupcakes but I made ILB choc cake substituting coffee instead of cocoa and adding some crushed oreo biscuits - thanks for the suggestion Maddy.  These were divine but forgot  :( the pics.  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 01:13:04 am »
Thanks for posting it here Frozzie - a star should always have it's own thread.
As I have said elsewhere, excess can be frozen.  Just thaw in the fridge and just zap it for a very short time to get the consistency back to where you want it to be. Too much zapping will make it too runny though so be careful  ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:55 am »
Has anyone turned this into a chocolate frosting by adding cocoa? Do you add in the cocoa with the flour and "cook" it, or would you add it later on?
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:54:01 am »
i would just add any alternate flavouring where you add the vanilla  :)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 04:37:47 am »
Raspberry Frosting

35g plain flour
200g whole milk

130g sugar
200g unsalted butter (room temp.)
70g raspberry jam (any flavour would work)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1-2 drops pink food colouring

Place flour and milk into TM bowl and blend for 5 seconds on speed 6. Cook for 15 minutes at 80C on speed 4. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pushing plastic down onto surface of mixture.
Cool completely.

Insert Butterfly and aerate butter and sugar for 2 minutes on speed 3 with MC off to allow air into the bowl.
 Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla, jam & colouring, and mix for 6 seconds on speed 4.
  Add cooked milk mixture and continue to beat for 3 minutes on speed 3 until very smooth and white. (scrape jug periodically)
 Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes (NO LONGER, NO LESS!)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:18:28 am »
I added kahlua and it was delish on Oreo cupcakes in which I added coffee  :) and have just finished your latest version Maddy - thank you for the raspberry version  :)

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:03:28 am by johnro »
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 01:42:19 pm »
So happy to see this frosting being well used…I LOVE this recipe and if you look in the 2012 calendar, it makes another starring appearance, with yet another tweak! Love the whole raspberry, chocolate ideas…mnnn, you guys are so creative!
 ;D

Offline samanthahobbs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 09:43:23 am »
Thanks for this recipe.
I have never been able to successfully make a decent icing!!
This was awesome.
I froze the left overs - so will see how that goes when thawing for the next cake.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 03:18:41 am »
this icing is deeeelicious!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 10:29:09 am »
These cupcakes look awesome. You guys are the cup cake queens
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 02:44:50 am »
Thanks for this recipe.
I have never been able to successfully make a decent icing!!
This was awesome.

Let me know how that works out, would be good to know!

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2011, 10:20:44 am »
Can someone tell me how much cocoa and if you replace the vanilla essence with another liquid?
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:22 am »
I added 2 tablespoons of cocoa at the end (ie not in with the flour when you cook it).  And I added the vanilla essence as well, but I suppose you could add any liquid ..... milk, liqueur, ...... maybe you could try it with no added liquid, and see if you are happy with the consistency?
Karen in Adelaide