Author Topic: Mulled Cider  (Read 4156 times)

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
Mulled Cider
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:37:55 pm »
I've made this a few times over the autumn months - it worked very well for a crowd on my birthday.

Mulled Cider
Ingredients:
still (alcoholic) cider - preferably something good (I used Westons organic vintage)
light brown sugar
whole spices (e.g. cinnamon, cloves, allspice berries)
lemon peel
apples, cored and cut into wedges

Method:
Pour around 1.5 litres of cider into the TM jug. Add sugar - I really can't specify an amount because it depends on the sweetness of the cider, and personal preferences. It's better to add too little to start with, and top it up if necessary once it's dissolved. Add the spices (gently crush the cinnamon if using), apples, and thinly-pared lemon peel strips.

Heat to 80ºC  :-: ^^ for 10-20 minutes. The jug keeps its heat very well - it'll stay warm long enough to serve over the course of one to two hours, unless you top it up with more cider. If you do, add more sugar and apples but leave the spices and zest in - they'll do for several batches. Reset the temperature and time for each batch.

Tips:
I used bag-in-a-box cider. Don't bother using fizzy (I did that the first time) because it will go flat when heated and stirred. You may want to strain it before serving - but adding the apple wedges to the glass/mug is nice - you can eat them after you've drunk the cider! If you have some left, they work well as a simple dessert, maybe served with some whipped cream. Finally, when you've finished, you can save the spices, leave them to dry on some kitchen towel, and add them to the next batch - they'll have lost only some of their fragrance.

Offline scyrene

• View Profile
Re: Mulled Cider
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 12:03:05 am »
Oh, I meant to say - it's nice to add sultanas too! :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Mulled Cider
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 01:59:23 am »
Thanks - might have to wait til our winter - great work tho'  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.