Author Topic: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls  (Read 202143 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Isi´s easy Portuguese Rolls
« Reply #300 on: January 25, 2012, 01:31:57 pm »
I bought the fresh stuff from the Re Store (continental) in Leederville WA but honestly couldn't tell the difference after all the searching I had to do. I cut up the block into 25g pieces and froze them, but for ease of use I always buy the 280g Lowans Dried Yeast and keep it in the fridge.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline amie78

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2012, 11:06:39 am »
I ended up using dry yeast and these were awesome. My kids loved them. Will make them again for sure. Hopefully next time they will look a bit neater lol

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2012, 06:44:46 am »
CP did the yeast freeze well? I've never had any success with it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline RosieB

• DGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 28, 2012, 04:11:14 am »
CP did the yeast freeze well? I've never had any success with it.

Hi JD.  I tried freezing my fresh yeast but was disapointed with the result.  I cut it into pieces about 25g each and put into an airtight container.  I didn't defrost the pieces prior to popping into the TC with warm water and a quick whizz to defrost.
My bread did not rise as well when I used the frozen, 
and it (the yeast) turns into a gluggy mess if defrosted before use.

I think I will just keep it in the fridge and risk DH throwing it out again.  :).
Rosalie, from the Sunshine Coast, Qld.
Retired, full time carer for my 8YO Grandson with Asperger's Syndrome. 
I love gardening and cooking.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 28, 2012, 04:33:09 am »
I wasn't happy with the fresh yeast either when I tried it ages ago Rosie so now I just stick to dry yeast and if I can buy it in a bulk pack, I transfer it to a ziplock bag and keep it in the freezer.  It works well and I don't have to worry about a use by date.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Moo2

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 28, 2012, 06:35:27 am »
CP I buy the Lowans too. I don't have any trouble with it not working. Useby has always been long enough for my periodic bread making efforts.

Offline KathS

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:03 pm »
Thank you so much for this recipe! I was beginning to think I could only make hard bricks, but these turned out great!  ;D

Offline mrsmac

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2012, 06:29:53 am »
I made this for the first time yesterday, have written the recipe down a while ago, but always put it off, however yesterday I decided that was it and so it got made.  Everyone loved though DD2 still needs to adjust to it, as she's only ever had Helga's Grian varieties, so white bread was new to her.  I even threw a small handful of oatbran in to increase fibre content, next time looking at adding both pepitas and sunflower seeds with the oat bran.  Any suggestions if I should reduce flour content to accomodate the seeds?
Thanks in advance, btw only about a 1/4 left of the loaf made so new loaf due tomorrow...  ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2012, 06:49:20 am »
mrsmac, I have a notation on Isi's Very Normal Bread recipe as under which may be of help to you.

For a multigrain bread you can add 7 tablespoons various seeds but you will need to reduce the amount of flour by 100g.  You knead for only 2 minutes, add the seeds and knead for 1 more minute. If the mixture looks too moist at the end of the 2 minute knead,  add some more flour before adding the seeds.  Not sure who gave me this information, probably Chookie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline mrsmac

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:12 am »
Thanks JD, will give that a go in the morning before I send DS6 off to school so its resting while I'm out :) Cannot wait we all love the smell, taste and texture of this loaf, so glad I tried this recipe first before any others, so worth it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:49 pm »
Mrsmac,  not sure if this will help. Bought a seed and grain mix,  the grain was part crushed but looked a bit hard, so I measured out 100g, and covered it with boiling water to soften.    left it until it was just warm.   I then measured in 400g of white bread flour into TMX bowl,  added yeast and grain mix, with the soaking water.   I gradually added more warm water as it kneaded to get a good dough consistency.  this made a very nice grain loaf,  but the process needs a bit of experience to know what to look for when adding the water.  You sound like you are on the right track. Keep experimenting.

Offline spektor

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:58 am »
Instant  hit in this household. Think it might start a bread making obsession.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2012, 04:48:38 am »
Spektor,  it is a good obsession to have. ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: March 30, 2012, 08:39:43 am »
It certainly is. I see a different recipe and want to try it. I still get a buzz out of baking bread and yeast products. (after about 40 years :-\) I love the fact that it is so easy with the TMX.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 03, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »
I swore I wouldn't cook this week, I have so many ready-made (by TMX) meals in the freezer at the moment. But I couldn't resist making these rolls to go with the soup I defrosted for dinner after a busy day last Sunday. Couldn't let The Wiz think I'd forgotten him!
Melbourne, inner north