Author Topic: mayonnaise  (Read 62808 times)

Offline baf65

• View Profile
mayonnaise
« on: November 30, 2008, 05:22:08 am »
GRRRRR I just cannot get mayo right!!! I made it fine when I was training now when Ive tried it again, another failure!!!  Its just runny like salad cream.
I even tried starting again using a new egg and adding the failed mayo to that and it made it even more runny that it already was!!
Maybe my eggs are a couple of weeks old - even tho they were freshly laid the day before I bought them, and that is why its not worked?
Any tips!!!!????

Offline Alina0210

• View Profile
Re: mayonnaise
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 06:30:02 am »
bugger no idea... i still havent tried it yet.

Could it be your oil??

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 07:57:34 am »
dani at the kitchen playground makes mayo a fair bit so might be worth sending her a mesage through her blog?

i have never made mayo sorry!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:55:38 pm »
Here are my 2 tips. 

1.  Everything needs to be the same temperature to work, so I lay everything out on the counter for a couple of hours before I make it.

2.  I measure the oil into a jug rather than using the TM scale.  I've only ever had it work once using the TM to measure, whereas it's worked every time when I measure it in ml in a jug (assuming everything's the same temperature, of course).

Also, I use olive oil - don't know if that makes a difference?  The other 2 points I'm sure about, though.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how it turned out.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:48:30 am »
Great tips - running the oil in slowly and watching what happens is important.

Don't have the book here - does it use yolks or whole eggs?  Yolks are best, but some use whole eggs.

With the olive oil - it is important not to use a "strong" flavoured oil as it can make the mayo VERY strong.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:27 am »
yeh i used whole eggs as that was what i did in my trianing, and i even got the TM to 37 degrees so all at room temp
i think the eggs were just too old, so ive got some new fresh ones to try again!!
i used grapeseed oil as I think olive oil is probably too strong of a flavour

i'll let you know how another attempt goes!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:56:06 am »
Tip 3:

Just remembered that the other thing I learned to do was to pour the oil steadily - to keep the same speed of pouring going seems to be even more important that not doing it quickly.  A moderate, steady pour.  The measuring cup takes care of the rest.

I always had my eggs at room temperature - but used to forget to bring the mustard up to room temperature sometimes, too!  :P
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 01:43:34 pm »
Hi there baf65

mayo will always work depending on the amount of time you take to both beat yolks and the time for adding the oil. I beat yolks for 1.5 minutes then add oil (not on the lid) pouring in a steady stream onto top of turning butterfly...taking about 4-5 minutes...NEVER fails...also use a teaspoon of vinegar for the yolk part as well as teaspoon of water...then add lemon juice right at the very end for flavor and thinning. I have changed this in the revised Everyday book. Try using 3 yolks as well, and then adding 1 white for volume later (after it is nice and thick!)

Offline TM_Alex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:41:21 am »
Dear Baf,

I have seen your issue with mayonnaise and found to recipes, one in the Germany Thermomix recipe book and one in the French one:

The German version

1 egg (the entire egg)
10 g (lemon juice)
1 teaspoon of mustard (medium hot)
1 pinch of pepper
1/4 tea spoon of salt
250 g of oil (rapeseed-, thistle- or sunflower oil)

Step 1:

Put egg, lemon juice, mustard, salt and pepper into the bowl.

Step 2:
Place measuring cup on Thermomix lid, speed up TM to 3.5 (if you are above 1'500 m/4'500 f increase speed a little). Now slowly let the oil drop onto the Thermomix lid and hold the measuring cup (so that the measuring cup does not move up and the oil slowly drops in). After the entire oil dropped in, use spatula to put the remaining oil of the lid into the bowl, after this the mayonnaise should be perfect.

At least with me it always worked.

The French version I never tried but here the recipe from the French book:

2 egg yolk
1 soupspoon of mustard
1 soupspoon of vinegar or lemon juice
2 measuring cups of sunflower oil
1 pinch of salt
Pepper

Step 1:

Insert the butterfly (whisk) into the bowl and add the egg yolk, the mustard, the vinegar (or lemon juice) the salt and the pepper

Step 2:
Set the Thermomix on 2min with speed 4 (remember with butterfly never over speed 4) and drop the oil slowly on the lid of the Thermomix without brakes.

I never tried this recipe and hope my French was good enough.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 10:40:25 am »
thanks !! I will give that a try next time I make it

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: mayonnaise - thanks TM Alex
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 11:50:37 am »
Thanks for sharing the recipes  ;D  - great to see the variations.  Will give them a try.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 12:14:07 pm »
Thanks Alex - I'll definitely give the German one a go.  Not that I've had any problems with the one I use, so long as everything's the same temperature and I measure the oil - but hey, you've got to try new things, haven't you?  ;D

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 03:47:10 pm »
HERE is a link to my mayo recipe.  I don't use any mustard.  It's not a TM recipe, but it's made in a blender, so there's no need for conversion.  It has never failed me...

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:33:29 am »
I just tried the German version and it worked perfectly.  Very easy recipe - this will be the one I use from now on.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 08:33:49 pm »
How about trying garlic mayo....or as we call it here in Spain..... Ali-Oli, it's great for BBQs and with bread, the whole loaf disappears in seconds!

ALI-OLI

All ingredients at room temp (warm the egg in your hands for at least 10 mins if its cold)

2 cloves garlic
squeeze lemon juice
half teaspoon white wine vinegar
salt & pepper
1 whole egg
300g sunflower oil

Place all, except oil in THX, 10 seconds, speed 4.
Have oil weighed out previously into a jug
With MC placed and on speed 4, slowly and evenly pour oil onto lid, takes a couple of minutes, but works every time for me.
Amanda

Spain