Author Topic: A Thermomix Pantry  (Read 13047 times)

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
A Thermomix Pantry
« on: March 17, 2009, 02:46:48 am »
I hope there isn't already a thread on this, I did a search but didn't find anything.

So what does a TMX-ready pantry look like for you? What sorts of things do you have on-hand?

I'm going to toss a lot of processed stuff and just keep wholefoods on hand like my raw sugar, grains, nuts, etc.
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: A Thermomix Pantry
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:16:45 am »
here's my main pantry

i have stuff in 4-5 other cupboards too lol (apart from feeling the need to have everything, i also have to have gluten free and regular stuff ;))

Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:23:25 am »
Jebus, you're organised! Maybe I should invest in some Tupperware lol.
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:24:48 am »
i ahve so much stuff in there i HAVE to be organised or it drives me insane!! as you can see from the edges of the photo the rest of my house is not at all organised  :D

i sold TW for a year to buy most of it LOL
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:59:04 am »
I don't think I would be brave enough to show my pantry. It's tidy but there seems to be so much in it. I always said that I wouldn't have 'stuff' on the floor of my pantry, it has heaps of bottles of olives waiting in brine to be eaten, as well as a couple of kitchen gadgets I no longer use.  At least they will disappear when daughter builds. The gadgets, not the olives-we'll eat those.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Ayla

• TM31
    • View Profile
    • Primal Home
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:03:54 am »
Lol, I didn't mean show me photos of your pantries, just a list of the kinds of things you have on-hand ;)
DS homeborn September 07
DD homeborn September 10

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:50 am »
i only show mine cause i'd be here half the day listing what's in mine LOL
My Cooking Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 08:01:55 am »
Hi Ayla, don't think you need to do much to get organised - with the recipe books and this forum (and Joy and brazens blogs) you should be able to find recipes that you would like to do using what you already have.

Not the pantry, but the freezer, would be what I would get ready.  lots of ice cubes for sorbets.  Also freeze cubes of juices in ice cube trays, cut favourite fruits into chunks and freeze flat before bagging so that you can make sorbets.  If you like yoghurt - freeze ice cube trays of yoghurt to make sorbets.

Sorbets are so easy to start and will give you confidence.

The Thermomix is supposed to save you time - so you shouldn't need to spend a lot of time pre-arrival getting ready.  Contact your consultant and see what recipes she plans for the delivery demo.

Good luck
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 08:57:26 am »
It's interesting that this is a thread on here as we have in the planning stages only (so don't get excited!!) a Thermomix 'Pantry' book that will go through a few recipes for things you can keep in your pantry (made in TM naturally) as well as essentials and basics that you should have in your pantry to maximize your usage of the TM!!
All suggestions can be send to recipes@thermomix.com.au (thank you all!!!)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:44:02 am »
I see where you are coming from Ayla - you want to have everything on hand so that as soon as you get your TMX, you can start cooking.  Would be handy to have the recipe books in advance aye but I would go through the recipes here (print out and start your own file like I have, it is then easier to find when you need it in a hurry or plan your menu for a week). From the forum recipes you can make a list of ingredients.  I always keep sambal oelek on hand, different asian sauces for flavour, coconut milk, I freeze hokkein noodles etc, different flours for breadmaking, yeast etc, chicken fillets are always handy to have on hand too but it will depend on what type of recipes you like. You've done a lot of reading lately so you should know by now which recipes you are going to start off with. Can't be much longer for you to wait now - start jumping up and down if there is too much of a delay!!! ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline bron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:50:16 pm »
Ayla, your weekly shopping ingredients will really change. We are a family of 5 and I now go through 24 or 36 eggs a week. A kilo of sugar!!! A week!!! Before sugar lasted me 6 months, but now I bake everything!!! Flour, use lots of that, and all different kinds, from spelt to wholemeal, bakers flour, self raising. Also use lots of milk and cream too! Plus raisins, almonds and walnuts etc.
Also as mentioned, start making ice, or freezing yoghurt, I like making ice cream with yoghurt!! Plus rice, use heaps of rice, all sorts!! Round, long and basmati. We now eat less potatoes, funny isn't it! Even though the potatoes are fab too...the rice is just divine. Plus we love the rice pudding, I make it every week in little dishes!! And even as ice-cream!!! ;D
Lots of olive oil too! And butter. But you can make that soon!! ;D
Try and clear out your freezer as much as you can, as you will spend all your time possible experimenting the recipes at first and then freezing left overs, and trying more!!
Good idea to prepare all the recipes that you want to try off here too. Print them and make a book, just in case internet crashes >:( and you really wanted to make a particular recipe! ::) I have a big book shelf in the kitchen now with all my THX books, THX Mags and recipes from here too!
How exciting.... why is it taking so long. In Spain, it gets delivered the following day! 8)
Amanda

Spain

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 01:52:17 am »

How exciting.... why is it taking so long. In Spain, it gets delivered the following day! 8)

Really - so when they say "mañana" - they don't mean never ???  ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 04:41:33 am »
I'm a little late to this thread (been busy here at home) but I'd suggest pearl tapioca (do you guys eat tapioca pudding?  I love it), sushi rice (short grained) for rice pudding (need a change from the tapioca) and arborio rice for risotto.  Oh, and barley for barley risotto.

Keep some stocks on hand for soups.

Vanilla for the many deserts.  Did I mention tapioca?

A lot of other ingredients aren't special to the TM.  You just change the process.