Author Topic: To buy or not to buy!!  (Read 14837 times)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: To buy or not to buy!!
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 10:06:36 am »
Bubbles with a family of 7 it's not hard to save $60 a week on lunch box foods. If I had to buy everything for their lunch boxes I would go broke :)
Things like bread rolls, slices, cakes biscuits, muesli bars, pizzas, sausage rolls, scrolls etc etc. I am shocked at what my lot can demolish in a week.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline grapesy83

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:08 am »
I know exactly how you feel. You know in your head that the TMX is the right thing to have in your kitchen for healthy and happy eating but it's a lot of money for a machine that could potentially gather dust.  I purchased mine the other day and am waiting on delivery (after about 3 months of deliberation) but know that if I consciously cook using it then the investment will pay off.  I am also concerned that my children won't want to eat anything made from it as I can tell you the risotto and sorbet got thrown out after the demo as neither of them wanted a bar of it. I will probably start introducing new snacks into their daily routine and then expand on the main meals etc.  I have a very fussy husband when it comes to eating  meat and three veg (and not even veg really) is all he wants. Doesn't do soups, pastas, casseroles etc but to be honest I'm a convinced that once he sees it in action and adjusts to having it in the household he too will be impressed. Good luck with your decision and if it's something you can;t stop thinking about then I think that's a clear indication that you really do want one.

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 12:42:31 am »
I cook most of my main meals in the thermomix. It is so easy and healthy. Last night was chicken cacciatore and it was delicious. Even on a meat and veg night, I make my mashed potato in it.
Last Friday night when I stayed at mums, she asked if I would like to cook something for dinner. I said "No you don't have a thermomix and I can't remember cooking the old way"  :D
We have cherry tomatoes galore atm and have been making lovely tomato sauce with them. Cost saving of about $20.

DG
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline grapesy83

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 03:08:25 am »
How long does the tomato sauce keep for? Obviously not as long as the bottled stuff? Same question for the peanut butter and jams really. You probably don't get the same shelf life as packaged food.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 03:40:47 am »
I have made heaps of tomato sauce and tomato relish over the years (non -TM and TM)
I found that I had no problem with tomato sauce and relish lasting 6  to 12 months the non - TM way (but that is cooked for quiet a few hours and cooking up 9 kg of tomatoes)
With the TM recipe I think you would have no problem with it lasting 3 months. But as you only cool up a kg of tomatoes at a time you only getting a couple of bottles which you should be able to use up in less than 3 months.
I use the relish in lots of recipes as well as on it's own so we go through quiet a bit. :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 03:43:10 am »
As for jam and peanut butter they do last a while without any problems. I really go by smell and the look of foods. If they don't look or smell good then I toss them.
Jam usually would be fine for 6 months, peanut butter I'm not sure though. :)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 03:50:05 am »
Graoesy83- just to reassure you,my kids didn't touch any of the food made at my first TM demo either but  they sure do now! I didn't expect them to jump with joy as soon as I bought my TM but as it is my main way of cooking these days, they now ask me to cook in the "termomix" as they call it all the time. Also, it will definitely not gather dust either. Sure, you'll have days when you won't be using it at all or maybe just to cook one thing ie steaming rice etc but at least look at it as an extra helper in your kitchen doing stuff that you'd otherwise have to do conventionally and I look at it as extra time spent with the kids instead of slaving over the stove. The more you get used to TM recipes and all of the capabilities of the TM, the more you'll use it. In fact, I probably use it far more now than I ever did in the beginning and I don't know what I'd do without it.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 04:58:05 am »
Yes I agree Merlin, I am already noticing after a couple of weeks how less stressful 5pm-6pm is now that I can spend that time with my 4 and 2 y o rather than standing at the stove having them clinging to my legs whinging! I can also hear when the timer goes off even if we are in the backyard playing- it is so nice to hear that sound and just say to the kids 'ok, inside kids, tea is ready!' :D

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 04:59:40 am »
I have made heaps of tomato sauce and tomato relish over the years (non -TM and TM)
I found that I had no problem with tomato sauce and relish lasting 6  to 12 months the non - TM way (but that is cooked for quiet a few hours and cooking up 9 kg of tomatoes)
With the TM recipe I think you would have no problem with it lasting 3 months. But as you only cool up a kg of tomatoes at a time you only getting a couple of bottles which you should be able to use up in less than 3 months.
I use the relish in lots of recipes as well as on it's own so we go through quiet a bit. :)
Dede, can I please ask what recipes you use your relish in? I've recently been given two big jars from a friend, and am getting a bit sick of putting it in toasted sandwiches!

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 05:06:19 am »
I add relish to a lot of recipes like when making pizza I mix half relish half tomato paste to spread on the base.
Beef patties I always throw in a Tbs or 2 of relish.
Curried sausages I will add the same, sausage rolls, casseroles etc etc.
I guess it's up to your imagination what you can add it to for a little extra flavor.
Also I make cheese devils which is a savory toast. Hope that helps abit :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 10:11:01 am by judydawn »

Offline Bubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 05:29:00 am »
Thanks a lot , thats great :)

Offline grapesy83

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 06:11:05 am »
thanks for the info - definitely will make a conscious effort to whip up foods and meals that would never have captured my mind before having a TMX - also starting my consulting training in the middle of May - looks like I have thermo fever too!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 10:13:59 am »
Glad to hear you have made up your mind about becoming a consultant grapesy  -  best of luck with your training.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »
 those cheese devils sound delicious dede

South West WA AUSTRALIA