Author Topic: To buy or not to buy!!  (Read 14730 times)

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
To buy or not to buy!!
« on: April 11, 2012, 08:23:17 pm »
I am looking at buying a TM and have had the demonstration at my home. in addition to this I have been looking through some of the books and have looked at this forum and found loads of lovely recipes, but am still torn as to whether to buy one or not!! It is such a lot of money initially, money that I have in my savings, but just don't know whether I can justify spending that kind of money on something unless I am absolutely convinced that it will change my life for the better. My two boys are such fussy eaters, only because they like what they know, and I enjoy knowing that they will eat what I know they traditionally like, and I don't want to purchase one to find that they won't eat anything it makes. Everyone seems to only have good things to say, (with the occasional negative) but I just need a bit more reassurance. many thanks, Ali.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: To buy or not to buy!!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 09:03:12 pm »
Hi Ali23 and welcome to the forum.

You are certainly correct when you say that purchasing a TMX is a lot of money, but that doesn't seem to be a hurdle you are faced with.  Like everything new that you buy, whether it be a TMX, a handbag, a car, a new set of towels ... everything is just a little different to what you are familiar with, but you very quickly get used to it.

From reading the forum, you will know that we all love our machines and very few of us regret making the decision to buy.  Yes, you will undoubtedly start using ingredients that you never used before, but you and your family may not even notice that they are eating something radically different.  Many of us have found that we are making / baking / cooking things we never did before - for me that was things like pastry, real custard, sorbets, mayonnaise.  Even if you only start with 'simple' things like these, some of them will be familiar to your family already and they will probably not even notice the difference - except perhaps for an improvement in taste or texture, etc. and you will know what they are eating so you are immediately up and running with healthy additive free foods.

For me, purchasing the TMX was a very easy decision.  For others, the expense has been a challenge, but they have gone ahead and not regretted it.  You will ready many threads and posts on here about families with fussy eaters and food intolerances and there is always someone else on the forum who can help and support you because they have experienced exactly what you are experiencing.  There is a vast resource on here of all kinds of recipes and I am sure you will find much inspiration for meals that very closely resemble those you currently cook for your family.  Slowly you can start introducing variations and variety and they will get used to these changes - it may not happen overnight, but it will happen.

Good luck with your decision and I hope everything works out for you for the best.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 09:04:11 pm »
hello and welcome to the forum ali, yes it is a lot of money if you dont use it, but i can guarantee you that you will love it  ;D

what do the boys like to eat ?

i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:23 pm »
Hi Ali23 and welcome to the forum.

You are certainly correct when you say that purchasing a TMX is a lot of money, but that doesn't seem to be a hurdle you are faced with.  Like everything new that you buy, whether it be a TMX, a handbag, a car, a new set of towels ... everything is just a little different to what you are familiar with, but you very quickly get used to it.

From reading the forum, you will know that we all love our machines and very few of us regret making the decision to buy.  Yes, you will undoubtedly start using ingredients that you never used before, but you and your family may not even notice that they are eating something radically different.  Many of us have found that we are making / baking / cooking things we never did before - for me that was things like pastry, real custard, sorbets, mayonnaise.  Even if you only start with 'simple' things like these, some of them will be familiar to your family already and they will probably not even notice the difference - except perhaps for an improvement in taste or texture, etc. and you will know what they are eating so you are immediately up and running with healthy additive free foods.

For me, purchasing the TMX was a very easy decision.  For others, the expense has been a challenge, but they have gone ahead and not regretted it.  You will ready many threads and posts on here about families with fussy eaters and food intolerances and there is always someone else on the forum who can help and support you because they have experienced exactly what you are experiencing.  There is a vast resource on here of all kinds of recipes and I am sure you will find much inspiration for meals that very closely resemble those you currently cook for your family.  Slowly you can start introducing variations and variety and they will get used to these changes - it may not happen overnight, but it will happen.

Good luck with your decision and I hope everything works out for you for the best.

Thank you for your advice. I guess you are right, and I will certainly get alot more constructive use out of it than I would a new handbag!! I am however faced with the hurdle of expense as it will use all my savings, but the plan is to gradually put it back in over a period of time, which is why Iam a little unsure about making such a huge purchase. However it is reassuring to know that the forum is here, as youy say for help and support, and a huge part of me feels that it is a decision I won't regret. The sorbet made at the demonstration was heavenly, and I would never of thought to make sorbet before, plus my kids love it. One of my boys even ate the red pepper soup that he would never have touched before, so I guess the answer is staring me in the face really!! Thank you once again for your support.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:53:18 am by judydawn »

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:26:22 pm »
hello and welcome to the forum ali, yes it is a lot of money if you dont use it, but i can guarantee you that you will love it  ;D

what do the boys like to eat?

They like the usual favourites....shepherds pie, lasagne, lamb hotpot, toad in  the hole etc etc but I am getting bored of making these things and want to branch out.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:54:18 am by judydawn »

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:31:36 pm »
Hi Ali23 - a very warm welcome to the forum!  Has your consultant explained the different ways you can pay off your TMX?  If not, have him/her thoroughly explain the ins and outs of each method - you may find a solution there without having to pay the full amount up front.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:44:11 pm »
Welcome to the forum Ali.The TM is a brilliant machine that will change the way you cook and eat but I do agree it is a lot of money.Where do you live Ali.I'm asking because it sounds as though you had UK demonstration menu :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 09:46:26 pm »
I do live in the UK....near Stamford.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:53:48 pm »
I do live in the UK....near Stamford.
Such a shame you are not nearby as you could have popped over and had a play with my TM :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:25:39 pm »
Apologies to everyone who I have sent a msg to and sent it to the wrong place!! I am still getting to grips with the whole forum, and think I have just worked it out!! There is no hope for me with a TM if I can't even work out how to post replies on here!!! Thank you all for your advice and support also.  :-*

mcmich

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:33:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum Ali. With all the recipes here at the forum you will be able cook the boys their favourite meals and branch out.
Soon there will be many new family favourites.

Offline Ali123

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 10:44:03 pm »
Thank you mcmich. Have been looking at the forum for some weeks now and it is great. Have never seen so many recipes. If I do get TM, will be great to branch out and experiment more!! Plus it is so nice to have advice and support from other users.  :D

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 10:52:52 pm »
It is a big decision isn't it? I am still grappling with the price issue too. Welcome to the forum from another newbie.
Kylie

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 11:01:13 pm »
Hello Ali,

I spent about four months doing my homework before I purchased my TM.  There were times I actually thought no I don't really need one and other times yes I must have one, so I really do understand where you are coming from.  I use mine daily and am able to make a lot more in the kitchen now than before, yesterday I made some butter for the first time and it was so quick and easy.  Cakes, custards and desserts are a breeze now, my son doesn't like sandwiches but has to take a cut lunch to work so the pizza scrolls are a favourite of his.  

If I am honest I don't use it for main meals so much, apart from soups and risottos and the occasional pasta dish, but this is due to the fact that my family like grilled/bbq meats and slow cooked stews and roasts.  But I do use it for the preparation of a lot of our main meals, chopping and grating etc.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 11:42:34 pm »
Hi Ali,

Yes this machine is a lot of money, & yes you have the money in your account which would have taken a lot of saving. Its hard to withdraw hard earned savings & naturally you dont want to regret it.

I love my TM, I use it minimum 3 times per day.

I make bread near enough daily, nothing better than home made bread. Soups, sauces, risottos are a cinch.

Alot of the food you make I use the TM for. Now use left over roast meat to make shepherds pie, the best shepherds pie I have made. Every week there is always a mince dish on the menu. . Lasagna is great I make mm bol sauce, bechamel in the TM, grate my cheese & sometimes make the pasta for the lasagna sheets.

Make the batter for toad in the hole in TM.

Cakes are whipped up.

Yesterday needed some terriyaki marinade, the girls on the forum googked a recipe, I made it in the TM, didnt even need to go to the shops to buy the marinade, all healthy no added presevatives.

Your world of cooking is endless, so much adventure & excitement using the TM.

Hope this helps

Hally :)
Mum to Crown Prince......