Author Topic: Where to buy ingredients from?  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
Where to buy ingredients from?
« on: April 11, 2012, 05:22:45 am »
Hi there,

I'm eagerly awaiting my TMX (ordered yesterday).  Just wondered if I could get some advice on where to source ingredients.

I've read all the things people suggest to stock their cupboard with before it arrives and most ingredients are pretty straight forward but I was wondering where people get their grains from?  Things like wholewheat?  I'm presuming you can't get this sort of thing from a normal supermarket.  Do you buy them from health food shops? 

My main justification to DH on buying the TMX was the fact that my bread maker died so bread will be one of the main things I'd like to make.  Having two young boys who I have always tried to give wholemeal/grain bread to, I would like to continue this tradition.  Are there any really good bread recipes which have whole grains in them which you would recommend?  We currently have the Helga's sorts of grain/rye/wholemeal type ones.

Also, does anybody strain their juices and if so what do they use?

I have asked my rep if we can make the veg stock concentrate for the first recipe.  What do I need?  I know salt is an ingredient based on everything I've read (and lots of it LOL!). Is it a particular type of salt?

Questions, questions, question.......sorry!

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy ingredients from?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:52:43 am »
Hi Brumington -

Your consultant will probably let you know the ingredients for the veg stock a little closer to delivery . . but what you need is:
200 gm celery, a couple of carrots, 1 onion, 1 tomato, 1 zucchini 1 garlic clove, a bay leaf, some basil, sage and rosemary, small bunch of parsley, rock salt and oil . . . .My DD adopts the idea for veg stock that it's a good time to clean out the fridge :D  Basically, as you feel more confident, you can use anything you wish!

As for grains, it depends on what you're after.  Some grains you can buy in Indian and Asian markets, health food shops, etc. I always check the origin of the grains on the packets, etc.   If you want certified organic ingredients you can't go past ordering online -

e.g.    http://santostrading.com.au/bulkfood/grain_seed.html

Hope this helps a little . . . . :)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:01:30 am »
I would try a health food shop first as they have a huge variety of whole grains , cereals, flours etc. get yourself familiar on what's about. Ask questions so you are prepared ready for when your TM arrives.
 I don't usually use whole grains when making bread so I'm no help for you there. But I'm sure someone else can help you out more.
Some times it's a bit of a trial and error thing until you find the recipe that suits best.
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:46:43 am »
here's the recipe, although I think your EDC may not have the mushrooms included.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:52 am »
This is a good seed bread recipe you could try
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 07:41:02 am »
here's the recipe, although I think your EDC may not have the mushrooms included.

Thanks CP - this sounds way better!!  I'll be using this one from now on . . . . :D :D

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:26:09 am »
Hello Brunington,  I use the veg stock a lot and only put in half the salt, there is a nicer recipe in the Full Steam Ahead book , it has mushrooms, Parmesan Cheese and white wine, in addition to the ingredients already mentioned.  I make this one all the time now.  I have bought some wheat from the Health food store but as yet I haven't used it, maybe tomorrow.  I had my neighbours in today helping me cut up a large fallen tree and it was so good being able to nick inside and make some homemade lemonade, then serve them homemade bread and soup for lunch. 

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:22:14 am »
The vegetable stock is definitely the first thing you should make although I agree to only use half the salt in the EDC recipe. I go through my jars of stock so quickly that the lesser preserving time available with half the salt content doesn't seem to make a difference and unlike commercial stock cubes and pastes wtc, at least you can vary exactly what is going into it. Have fun with your thermie when it arrives though!
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:03:16 pm »
Excellent. Thank you for all of your replies.
Yep, I'm going to have a good squizz through a local health food shop to see what is available. I'm really looking forward to using healthier products in my cooking. A bit worried about all of the extra kg's I'll be putting on as a result of all of the yummy things to try though!  :D
Thank you cream puff for the recipe and also Aussie Brenda and Merlin for the advice about the salt for the veggie stock. Do people use this instead of chicken stock?
The wait is unbearable! Tick tock, tick tock!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 12:05:20 pm »
I don't Brumington, I like chicken stock for chicken meals and am currently using Tenina's stock powder from her latest book For Food's Sake.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.