Author Topic: Chookie in Vienna  (Read 15427 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Chookie in Vienna
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 06:29:18 pm »
glad to hear you got to stockholm ok chookie and sounds like your having a great time..at least food wise haha...and looking forward to you posting some of these recipes and posting some photos too  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 07:03:30 pm »
Hi to all you nice Thermomixers.  This is a lovely city. Lots of history, music and beautiful cakes.   I have taken photos of some of the cakes as they are unbelievable..  Can't share them from my iPad but will when I get home.  Bought 4small cooking books as each had something different that could be converted.  The hotel is very nice and is decorated in 'Old European' style,  lots of gold crea m and chandeliers.  Had Sacher Torte so we could all make it if we wish.  Just a Medium density chocolate cake, with a layer of apricot jam and covered with a very thick layer of chocolate. To coat.  Have had to go to Mc Donaldson to get the computer to work.  Missing the TMX now as I can see many things to try out.   No doubt Andi has already tried many recipes from this part of the world.  More later .

chookie i just noticed while looking for something to make for a dessert tonight that Sachertorte is in the Travelling with Thermomix french version...i imagine its in the english version also so saves any converting.. Im also not sure if you have the description of the origin of the recipe in the english version but would be interesting to know if they are in fact the same..  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 08:28:46 am »
It's lovely to hear from you Chookie. Your holiday sounds exciting. I can't wait until you return and start trying some of your recipes and hopefully sharing them with us. Enjoy :-* :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 08:51:58 am »
Good luck with finding that cookbook Chookie  :D :D  Boy are we expecting big things from you when you get home with all those books you have bought.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:44 pm »
Hi Frozzie - I've just caught up on the forum and I'm the one in Scotland.  So far only our flight to Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis has been cancelled, but we got through via ferry.  We were able to fly back to Inverness yesterday and hope that the rest of the trip - London / Prague / Munich and back to Australia will be trouble free.

Not nearly as interesting an itinerary as yours, Chookie, but still great to be over in this part of the world for a change - even though the weather is atrocious!!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 03:30:34 pm »
good to hear your ok cuilidh...its never fun when you hit hurdles like that but at least you still got to where you are going..they seem to be much more organised than last year when all hell broke loose and people were stranded for weeks!!  I also hope that the rest of your trip and of course chookies is problem free and you all enjoy your holidays...pity about the weather though..France is having great weather and has been for weeks..they keep telling us we will have a very hot summer...yeahhh!!!!!! looking forward to that (may regret saying that later but I miss the heat long term!)

Offline NICKY 74

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 03:28:35 pm »
hi chookie. i spent 5 years working in austria as a chalet girl. i worked for a british tour company, so our cooking was mostly quite english, but i did serve an austrian meal once a week, either goulash, or schnitzel usually. however, we used to eat out on our night off, and there are a few favourites of mine that i do miss here in oz.
the pancakes that you talked about were they called 'kaiserschmarrn' they were delicious.
did you try tiroler grostle, and kasespatzle. i hope these are on your list of things to translate! i would love to eat these again.
did you go anywhere else in austria or just vienna?
looking forward to hearing more, nicky  :P
the answer is chocolate, who cares what the question is!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 07:04:12 pm »
Mum used to have a recipe for some kind of russian? pancakes that were delish..sorry sidetracking a bit but they were small and round drops that you fried and they kind of puffed up and were served with honey poured over them...they are divine and since mum lost the recipe and I cant remember what they were called Ive been craving them ever since lol...

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:42 pm »
Hi all,   we are now in Sweden.   Have joined a tour to 'do' Scandinavia.  40 on the bus, 7aussies.  Tonight we had the most marvelous meal at an old monor house in Southern Sweden.  Toftaholm Manor.Caulk. Soup,  just a spoonful with a small piece of salmon sitting in the middle.   Then a small pinwheel of salmon with dill/cream cheese between the layers.  Then a small disk of veal,  poached/roasted with a wine gravy and small roast pots.STrawberry mousse with a disk of lacey biscuit.   Food ,  very much part of the culture.   Bought 2 cooking books. 
Nicky74,Yes they are the pancakes and yes the books I bought have the recipes.
Frozzie,  I am sure that we could work something out.
Cuilidh,
  I have been thinking of you and wondering how you were going.   I am glad that it worked out OK.   Have a great Holiday.

We have been having some problems getting messages out. Will send when I can but in the meanwhile will continue to collect recipes.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:12 pm »
glad your enjoying your ongoing adventure chookie...careful with all of those cookbooks or youll be paying excess luggage in no time  :D :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 12:17:52 am »
Chookie's on a mission Frozzie  :D :D :D  Don't be like a relative of Geoff's though Chookie, they went to America and had to send all the books they bought back by post. A lot of books - $56 a box x 17 boxes  :-)) :-))  Not recipe books, just general books on subjects in which they are interested. I told them they can get free shipping online so they are going to look into it.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 07:08:33 pm »
Judy, we post a box back to our daughter,  about every 10 days.   Although at the moment I have a few books in my case as well as a couple of hand made mugs from Stockholm.  I bought the 2 granddaughters a book of Pippy long stocking in Copenhagen,  and the 2boys a jigsaw if a Viking ship.  I had trouble passing up the Legos on the ferry which were duty free and 1/2 price and so many designs that we don't get in  Australia.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 10:14:43 pm »
Wow every ten days!! Guess you would havé to with thé travelling all over and différent flights.... Last Time in oz it cost about 700 dollars sending purchases back to France lol. I hâte excess luggage costs which is why i post large parcels near thé end of m'y trip. Gone are thé days when they let you go with only paying one or two kilos... Seems you havé your system worked out well for you... Must be costing you heaps though still heaps cheaper than excess... Hope u havé ongoing fun on your travels...

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 12:51:20 am »
Good on you Grandma, great buy with the Lego and that's so light to post as well. Wow Christmas every 10 days, bet they love that  :D :D :-* :-*

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »
Judy , I didn't buy the  Lego as I couldn't fit it in..Sob Sob.