Author Topic: Chookie in Vienna  (Read 15426 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Chookie in Vienna
« on: May 21, 2011, 07:41:03 am »
Hi to all you nice Thermomixers.  This is a lovely city. Lots of history, music and beautiful cakes.   I have taken photos of some of the cakes as they are unbelievable..  Can't share them from my iPad but will when I get home.  Bought 4small cooking books as each had something different that could be converted.  The hotel is very nice and is decorated in 'Old European' style,  lots of gold crea m and chandeliers.  Had Sacher Torte so we could all make it if we wish.  Just a Medium density chocolate cake, with a layer of apricot jam and covered with a very thick layer of chocolate. To coat.  Have had to go to Mc Donaldson to get the computer to work.  Missing the TMX now as I can see many things to try out.   No doubt Andi has already tried many recipes from this part of the world.  More later .

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
Re: Chookie in Vienna
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:34:59 am »
Hi Chookie hope you are still having a lovely time sounds fabulous looking forward to the new recipes.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 12:21:21 pm »
Hey, lovely to hear from you! Glad the trip is still going well.
Vienna is one of those few places I've not been and would like to go to.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 01:17:42 pm »
Keep walking those cakes off Chookie  ;) ;)  How many cookbooks have you bought on your holiday so far?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 01:50:58 pm »
Judy, 6 so far. 

Offline BimbyPT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 08:06:04 pm »
I was in Vienna last October and fell totally in love with the city.
Didn't have much chance to try many cakes (short budget), I did try Sacher Torte but didn't like it at all! I didn't notice the apricot jam, though  ???
Enjoy yourself, it's really beautiful worth every second you spend there!
Thermomixing from Porto, Portugal

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »
We leave this beautiful city tomorrow morning,  if the volcano in Iceland will let us fly to Stockholm.  Had a typical Austrian meal for tea.  Boiled beef with horseradish sauce,  delicious, took photo.   Followed by Strawberry dumplings.  Got the cooking instructions for these.   At breakfast,  in the hotel, they serve a pancake,  which is quite different and also delicious.  Well suited to the TMX.  Can't wait to try it out when I get home.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 07:52:21 pm »
good to hear your having a great time...will be thinking of you tomorrow and hope you get your flight ok with the volcanic ash cloud problem...you should be fine though as your flying from the east of france and the cloud is heading south via UK..guess it will depend who your flying with and where you fly via...hope your flying up and over France...today in france there were 500 flights cancelled but they are saying that each countries is alot more prepared than the same thing last year which has to be a plus...

however there is a member in scotland on holiday...cant remember who though... where they cancelled 252 flights today..thinking of her and hope somehow she got her flight  :(
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:12:58 pm by Frozzie »
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:01:14 pm »
You sound as though you are having a great time Chookie.Fingers crossed that your flight takes off tomorrow. :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »
Chookie you are certainly having a special time - what's a holiday without smiles and of course somersaults (re volcanic cloud!!!!!!).  :)  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:50:26 pm »
I do hope your travel plans are not interrupted by the ash problem Chookie although if you have to stay where you are, at least it is a lovely place to be stranded.  Will await your next check-in posting hoping it is a good news one.  :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 03:21:23 am »
glad you are having a wonderful holiday chookie. i bet you are itching to whack out a loaf of fresh bread  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 03:35:40 am »
What a holiday Chookie!
My parents are heading there in about 2 weeks....and they won't need any encouragement to sample the cakes  :P
Keep enjoying yourself  :)
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline BimbyPT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 09:11:54 pm »
Hope you managed to travel, I heard Germany was quite affected, haven't heard anything about Austria.

Don't forget to share those recipes!
Thermomixing from Porto, Portugal

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 04:47:06 pm »
HI,  from Stockholm.  We managed to arrive O.K.  Could see the edge of the Volcanic cloud out the window of the plane.  Had a cinnamon scroll for lunch.   Looked really good,  but didn't taste as good as the ones we have been making.  I took a photo as I feel we could learn from the professional presentation.  It was cooked in a large muffin pan, with a paper liner,  but it was the top that was interesting.  It had strips of pastry, rolled in cinnamon and sugar,  swirled on top.  Swedish meat balls for dinner last night.  Just 3 large ones.   Very tasty.  Must find an authentic Swedish cooking book.!!!!