Author Topic: Chookie in Holland  (Read 4119 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Chookie in Holland
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:40:35 pm »
For the past 10 days I have been looking for a recipe that would represent our stay in Holland,  and would be convertible to the TMX.  Yesterday I finally found one,  It is a delicious dessert, infact an ice cream.  The ice cream is based on Advocaat Liqeur and turned into ice cream.  It was set in a mould , topped with cream and sat in a brandy sauce.   The brandy sauce was sprinkled with roasted flaked almonds.

I think that Thermomixer had a recipe for Advocaat.   I will test this recipe when we get home.
 We are staying in .Utrecht,  which is a beautiful ancient city, 2000 years old.  We have visited The Hague ,  and Amsterdam today.  We head for Vienna on Monday.  The food is not very inspiring in Holland.  The people nice and the history fascinating.   I am REALLY missing my TMX now.   OH for some soup and bread!!!!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Chookie in Holland
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 08:49:40 pm »
Hi Chookie, good to hear from you and catch up on your travels.  Keep on enjoying every moment because, before you know it, you'll be winding down and heading back home and to bowls of wonderful hot soup and plates of freshly baked breads and your travels will seem like a dream.

We head off to Scotland next week and I'm having TMX withdrawals already!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline knittercook

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »
The food is not very inspiring in Holland........

My in-laws are Dutch and I must admit that food and cooking has never been their strong point, shhhhhh did I say that!  ;)

Enjoy your stay and I look forward to hearing more about that dessert, there is an advocaat recipe in the Festive flavour cookbook.
Seize the moment.  Remember all those women on the Titanic who waved off the dessert cart.  ~Erma Bombeck

my blog http://shazknit.blogspot.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:00:31 am »
Hi Chookie, lovely to see you posting from your current destination.  So you won't be moving to Holland then   ;) ;)
As you know, they've had snow where you live so enjoy the sunshine & warmth whilst you can, it's darn cold back here.  :-* :-* :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 03:18:18 am »
Hi Chookie,  Wish I was with you travelling to all these fantastic places.  You will love Vienna, or at least I do.  e all look forward to you getting home and converting all the lovely recipes you have collected along the way.

Trudy

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 04:28:33 am »
Lovely to hear from yoou Chookie. Your holiday sounds wonderful. I'm looking forward to your new recipes when you get home. :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 01:51:56 pm »
Good to hear from you! Hope you can get some decent food soon, I know what it's like when you just crave something simple and you can't get hold of it!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »
good your having a good time chookie....and know the feeling of missing certain foods...adding more places and experiences to your belt though...love travelling but its nice to get back home too...hope its not too cool up there...we are having loving weather this week..could almost believe it was summer  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 09:02:49 am »
I can just picture the new cook book.

"Chookies travelling without Thermomix" - it could be the next in the International series  ;)