Author Topic: Vanilla Slice with NO cream  (Read 90826 times)

funnyfarm2

Vanilla Slice with NO cream
« on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:17 am »
Vanilla Slice
Number of People:9-12
Ingredients:
220g sugar (or less depending on taste - this amount is very sweet!)
95g cornflour
70g custard powder
990g milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
30g butter
2 puff pastry sheets

Preparation:
Place pastry sheets into preheated hot oven for approx 10 minutes or until golden brown. Take out of oven, loosen from tray and press down while warm (be careful the steam coming out is HOT!)

Place all other ingredients, except for butter in thermomix. Mix speed 9 for 3-5 sec to combine ingredients.
Cook for 10 minutes at 90 degrees C on speed 4.
Add butter and mix speed 4 for 30 seconds.
Pour custard onto pastry sheet and top with second pastry sheet, pressing down gently.
Top with icing - I just mix icing sugar, butter and hot water by hand, sorry don't use measurements.

Tips/Hints:
I use my square tupperware cake container which fits a pastry sheet in perfectly, however if you let the custard cool a little it should be thick enough to spread onto pastry without needing to put it in a container.

This custard tastes just like a bought vanilla slice - very yummy and not expensive to make.

A friend of mine has frozen it and says that it freezes well. I must try it one day as it would be great to be able to wrap and freeze in portions.

Members' comments
Coops - This is a great recipe. Thanks for posting it! It's very easy and creates a thick and yummy vanilla slice.  The only different thing I did was I put the sugar, cornflour and custard powder on speed 9 for 20 sec before proceeding with the rest of the recipe, and put some passion fruit pulp on my icing.
I made it for the teachers at my kids school ( I run the canteen ) and there was none left, going to make some more this afternoon.
I wouldn't normally use custard powder but it works for this slice and gives it that shop bought vanilla slice taste that has everyone reminiscing when they taste it.
Made this again yesterday, added some lemon juice to the passion fruit icing , yum.

astarra - I made this for DH last night - he loves vanilla slice! He was very impressed and decided that even if this was the only thing TM could do it would still be worth having... looks like I am in for making a lot of vanilla slice!!  He did ask if I could add more vanilla next time tho. I also only did 200g of sugar, just coz.

dede - I made this yesterday as well. I only added 150g sugar and no butter at all. Yet to slice it up and taste. But nice and easy.

JD - It's great and so easy.  I cut the sugar to 180g and it was delicious.

Chookie - OMG,  made this today.  Very, very easy.  Had visitors for dinner and although this was not on the menu,  they all ate some. I iced them with passionfruit icing.  What surprised me most was that they were easy to cut.  Delicious. Made Raspberry cream match sticks with the sheet of leftover puff pastry. 

Katiej - I made this today - so easy and so delicious. I gave my OH a small piece to try, all he said was "yum, yum, yum....then more please".

deedub - I made these yesterday, reduced sugar to 180g, definitely sweet enough with this amount. Delicious! Won't post a photo, my icing skills not up to scratch, plus I coloured the icing bright pink for DD's birthday - tasted better than they looked but kids loved them. Does anyone know how long they would keep?

JD - Roughly 3 days deedub.  After that the pastry sort of loses it's grip on the filling IYKWIM.

littleramblings - Do you think Tapioca flour would be ok? Also, once you have poured the custard over and placed the second sheet on top, do you then just put it in the fridge to set?

Shazzy - Not sure about the Tapioca Flour but I made this yesterday for the first time and forgot the vanilla (no vanilla in vanilla slice!!) and it still tasted yummy.  I actually left mine out for a while and the custard still set though it is firmer again today after being in the fridge.

knittercook - I used sao biscuits, they are amazing! The custard is the perfect consistency and the Sao biscuits fitted perfectly in the square Tupperware container as well.  A 5/5 recipe, thank you for sharing.

Suzanne - I made this today to take to my mums and it looks and tastes divine, thank you so much.

thermo28 - Made these yesterday, a major hit. I went past the bakery's and they were charging $4.50 for one, knew I had seen this recipe somewhere and was wrapped I didn't need to buy ingredients as I had everything. The best part was they tasted and looked just liked the bought ones, so yummy.

disaster chef - Made these yesterday with Lattice biscuits instead of pastry and they were a huge hit.  Thank you for posting the recipe.

maddy - I succumbed, and made this last night.  Left overnight to chill, so looking forward to tasting and cutting up later.
It's so easy...don't know why I haven't made it before....Hubby a very happy man. Lovely, thanks -  think I'll find a container to fit the sheets without having to cut them to fit.

Emme - I made this a few days ago using the 180g sugar. Not quite as sweet as DH is used to but he thought it was nice.  He just loves vanilla slice.

DebbiebillG - I made this today and YUM YUM YUM.  My DH's parents are coming over tomorrow with DH's Uncle who's here on holidays from Scotland so plenty of people to eat them !   Just had a try and they're not quite set enough but they taste amazing !!!

Bedlam - Made this today on your recommendation Debbiebillg, not disappointed. Very nice.

Thermesa - Still in progress waiting to ice. My motor slowed considerably at the 8 minute mark so definitely setting firm. Verdict yummm.

jo nz - Oh my goodness.  Just made this and it's cooling now.  The nibbles I've had a yummy, and it's just amazing that I can now make my favourite café slice at home.

DJ - Made this today with left over puff pastry in fridge. Used large Pyrex dish. Custard slightly wider than pastry. It cut ok. Used 180g sugar. Still a bit sweet for us. Ran out of custard powder so made up difference with more cornflour. Sprinkled sliced almonds on top of glacé icing.

Bonsai - Super quick and easy to make. I owed a work colleague A LOT for work he did and know he has a weakness for vanilla slice. I added tinned passionfruit pulp to icing sugar plus a squeeze of lime juice for icing, just wonderful. Enough to share around the office tomorrow.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:42:45 am by judydawn »

Offline Coops

• View Profile
Re: Vanilla Slice with NO cream
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:27:30 pm »
This is a great recipe  ;D thanks for posting it! Has anyone else tried it? It's very easy and creates a thick and yummy vanilla slice.  The only different thing I did was I put the sugar, coenflour and custard powder on speed9 for 20 sec before proceeding with the rest of the recipe, and put some passion fruit pulp on my icing .

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:15:33 am »
That looks really yummy (and my DH's fav).
When my dd makes Vanilla slice she bakes the pastry between 2 trays with a weight on top.
Denise

Offline Coops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:33:58 am »
I made it for the teachers at my kids school ( I run the canteen ) and there was none left, going to make some more this afternoon lol

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 06:59:02 am »
Coops, thanks for bumping this, ds & dh love vanilla slice. I have all the ingredients.

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline DizzyGirl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:07:21 am »
Has anyone made a Vanilla Slice using the custard in the EDC?
Exercise is a dirty word... Every time I hear it, I wash my mouth out with chocolate

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 10:41:37 pm »
I made this for DH last night - he loves vanilla slice! He was very impressed and decided that even if this was the only thing TM could do it would still be worth having... looks like I am in for making alot of vanilla slice!!  :o
He did ask if I could add more vanilla next time tho. I also only did 200g of sugar, just cuz.
Thanx for this recipe, funnyfarm2.  :)
:D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 10:57:12 pm »
I made this yesterday as well. I only added 150g sugar and no butter at all. Yet to slice it up and taste. But nice and easy to make :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2012, 04:44:22 am »
Bit of a run on this one - it's great and so easy.  I cut the sugar to 180g and it was delicious.  Vanilla slice is one thing DH will eat in the dessert line so I'm sure he will do his share of the eating of this one.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:44:08 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2012, 09:11:02 am »
I can't wait to get home and try this. The mob love vanilla slice and it will go down well at car club.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 10:25:37 am »
I love a nice vanilla slice too.  Yours look perfect Judy, I can't wait to make these.  ;D

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 11:53:20 am »
My DH loves vanilla slice as well,might spoil him and make it for him ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 11:59:33 am »
OMG vanilla slice!!! As a child, I was addicted to the vanilla slice sold at the local bakery, with its thick custard and chewy pastry and sticky pink icing...

No! Stop! Stay away calories! ;)

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 12:01:26 pm »
If you cut one in half and eat both halfs it's less calories than eating the whole piece Amy :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 10:26:44 pm »
So I will be eating even less calories if I cut mine in quarters?  Cool..  ;D