Author Topic: Plain White rolls - no fuss  (Read 341105 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Plain White rolls - no fuss
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2010, 05:35:36 am »
Funji,  I have to reduce the size of the photo on the camera.  Worth a try.  I have used the recipe for a whole pizza and it worked fine .  Good luck.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2010, 08:14:05 pm »
I don't know much about bread improver or what is in it and so have never been happy to use it.  I have a niggling memory that it is full of artificial chemicals, etc.  Can anyone tell me about what it comprises?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »
I've thrown my box out Cuilidh and store it in a lidded container so unable to list the ingredients at the moment.  I have read on the forum that you can add 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon of absorbic acid at the same time as the yeast though and this works as a 'bread improver'.   All I know is that my bread works much better with bread improver than without.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2010, 10:07:25 pm »
I haven't got my box either, but when it runs out I will be getting the natural one from Simply No Knead as per link.  I find the improver does improve my bread so will continue using it.

http://www.snk.com.au/html/s02_article/article_view.asp?id=99&nav_cat_id=129&nav_top_id=55

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:58 pm »
Thanks to both of you for your responses.  I use ascorbic acid in my bread anyway so perhaps I am doing the same thing without knowing it - I'll look into the Simply No Knead product as well.  It certainly puts my mind to rest on this subject and I feel more relaxed about using bread improver now.  Your support is greatly appreciated,
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2011, 04:17:41 am »
Just wanted to thank you for this recipe! I've made it two days in a row now and my children all love it - they say it tastes most like store-bought bread, which, coming from them, is most complementary!  ;)

Offline Lovemythermo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2011, 06:16:30 am »
I also tried this recipe for the first time today, I don't know why it took me so long! after many failed attempts at the recipe in the EDC it was such a relief to finally have some success. I think having my water at the correct temperature for lukewarm has certainly helped!

I know this is a bit off topic but I was just reading a post on another forum of a new owner who is extremely disappointed with their new purchase. It made me think that with the recipes in the EDC being so unreliable how lucky we are to have this great forum. I can imagine new owners who don't know we're here could be more than a little disappointed in their new purchase - I don't know what I would do without it.

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2011, 08:49:16 am »
Sounds good! Will give this a go tomorrow :)

Offline Ninny

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2011, 09:31:25 am »
I also tried this recipe for the first time today, I don't know why it took me so long! after many failed attempts at the recipe in the EDC it was such a relief to finally have some success. I think having my water at the correct temperature for lukewarm has certainly helped!

I know this is a bit off topic but I was just reading a post on another forum of a new owner who is extremely disappointed with their new purchase. It made me think that with the recipes in the EDC being so unreliable how lucky we are to have this great forum. I can imagine new owners who don't know we're here could be more than a little disappointed in their new purchase - I don't know what I would do without it.

I'm with you Lovemythermo, there isn't alot in the EDC that appeals to me. Thank goodness for the forum or I wouldn't be cooking much at all! Jenny
Jenny ~ Lake Macquarie

Offline Kath

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2011, 09:52:39 am »

Did you direct her over here?  :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2011, 09:55:45 am »
I did Kath  :-)) :-))  I sent her a pm.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2011, 10:42:52 pm »
Kathy, glad the kids like it.   Easy too.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2011, 02:27:47 am »
Here, here to all the "we love this bread" comments.  WE love this bread too.  Made it into hotdog rolls for lunch today to fill with leftover sausages from dinner last night.

Apart from the unevenness, they look like bought ones!  And yes, 2 of them have already been scoffed!  :-))

That dough also made the 2 (large) dinner rolls that DH & I will have tonight.

Thanks for posting  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2011, 03:44:11 am »
Opi, glad you posted a photo,  and love this recipe.   Yours look much better than mine.   mine always look a bit agricultural.   keep up the good work.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2011, 03:48:06 am »
Absolutely nothing wrong with agricutural!  Was born and bred on a farm in country SA and proud of it!   ;D