Author Topic: Help! My new Thermomix dial will not turn from open  (Read 23094 times)

Offline mairim

• View Profile
Help! My new Thermomix dial will not turn from open
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:58:14 pm »
Opened the package yesterday and set up the new Thermomix.  Today I made vegetable soup concentrate, mixing several recipes I found online.  Ended up with far too much, 2 pint jars (almost a liter).  That's okay, I can give one jar to a friend who will love it for risotto.  But now I can't turn the dial from the little open image to closed  *:or on.  It just won't turn.  I don't want to force it, but I need help.  What am I doing wrong, and how can I coax the machine to turn on.  I am also having trouble with the weighing image. When I press it nothing happens.  I suspect it's me, with newbie difficulties, not the machine, but I sure do need advice. >:(

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Help! My new Thermomix dial will not turn from open
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:02:02 pm »
try turning it off and unplugging the machine for 10 mins then replugging it in..make sure it is unplugged not just switched off at the power point!  is it marking any error on the screen???

let us know how you go  :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:04:50 pm »
if that doesnt seem to reset it or correct the problem..we have all had weird and wonderful things like that happen at one time but if there is still a problem after that (and the weigh button seems strange) I would call your consultant or HO immediatley and explain the problem and not force anything as they have a set of questions and steps they ask you to do normally to see if it can be 'fixed' right there or has to be sent back...

how horrible and only on your first day  :(

Offline mairim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:47:43 pm »
Unplugging it for ten minutes did the trick!  It now turns on. Thank you so much!

But I still get no action when I press the little scale button.  Alas, I don't have a consultant -- I'm in the US and bought my Thermomix from Canada. All of you on this forum are going to have to act as my consultant(s).  I guess in an emergency I could email the Canadian firm who sold me the Thermomix.  But I'm hoping someone here will have the solution to the scale problem.  I suspect it's like the problems one has with a new computer, the machine senses that you're unsure and acts up! As soon as you know what you're doing, it stops being difficult.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:58:54 pm »
is there any error on the screen ??

the weigh button not working sounds more like a default...not common especially new but can happen...you may have to wait for a few hours until some of the consultnats come on line (im not a consultant just an avid user  :)) and they may be able to help you but if not you may have to send it back to where you bougtht it or wherever they get fixed in the US or Canada (not sure of procedure there)

did the weigh button ever work?? when you feel it is it pressed in at all?? maybe the element got blocked under the rubber??? if it never worked then im guessing it is a manufacturing fault?

hope someone can help you and as for help on this forum..ask anything and someone will help you...there are many consutants and users alike and so many are willing to help out and generally someone is always online...good luck and hope it gets sorted out soon  :)

Offline mairim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »
I just figured out what was wrong.  It was, as I suspected, me -- not the Thermomix.  I was pressing the little image of a scale rather than the rubber button pointing to the scale.  This, I guess, is one of the difficulties of not having a consultant demonstrate everything in front of you.  I received two DVDs with my new Thermomix, but it's hard to see details as the demonstrator floats through her recipes, with everything looking relatively effortless.

In any case, next project: chicken stock paste.  I won't have to make and freeze vats of chicken stock from now on, Bimby will make the consentrate for me.  Oh joy!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 08:25:14 pm »
glad u figured it out..as for help there is a guide for new owners on here i will post for you after dinner...dinner time here unless someone beats me to it...will help you quite a bit  :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:46 pm »
Good to hear that you have sorted out your problems.  It's scary when something isn't working as it should and you have no one standing right beside you to help you out.  Sometimes I am not patient enough with my weighing and press the button and immediately start loading up the jug only to notice it is not registering - problem was, I wasn't waiting that vital second or two for the weighing option to kick in - now I try to remember to wait just a bit then gently touch the shoulder of the machine anch check the screen to make sure that the scales are registering.

Good luck with your TMX adventure and, as Frozzie said, if you have problems, need advice or just want to chat, there are usually a couple of people on here at any given time so you should get some sort of response fairly quickly.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 08:30:23 pm »
I have occasionally had a problem with my dial not turning and it happens at odd times, after it has been working fine.

I found that after the bowl is in place I push the power switch and if heat is required, FIRST set the time and then push the temp button that I want (mine runs hotter than the temp shown so I have to "customize" it)

Sometimes I have to fasten the lid two or three times before the dial will turn.   I just release it and close it again, trying the dial each time until it works.

I don't know if this is an anomaly in my unit but other people have told me they have the same problem from time to time - apparently the sensor that "knows" the lid is sealed, just doesn't always get the message.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 08:34:32 pm »
I sometimes have to re-close the lid a couple of times as well until it is settled in the correct position to enable the machine to operate.

Remembering to set the time before the temperature is always my problem so the way I solved it is to remember a very popular chocolate biscuit over here (trust me to relate it to chocolate).  The biscuits are called Tim Tams and my link is Tim = Time and it comes first - screwy logic?  Yes, I think so too, but it does work for me so I keep with it.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 08:51:31 pm »
ooooo sidetracking here but lurrrvvvvvvv timtams yum yum  ;D

here is the link for new owners..read through it ..could be quite helpful to you  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 02:47:54 am »
As already said the lid must be in exactly the right place for the dial to move. I still find that often I go to turn the dial and it won't move, so it has become automatic to just push the lid a bit. Good luck.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 03:25:55 am »
I find my lid is very sensitive and I quite often need to give it a little more of a push than at others to make sure it's locked in securely

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 06:37:03 am »
mairim that list should be a good read for you. I always make sure that my cord has been pulled out and that nothing is hindering it, and then I press the Weigh button and weigh my MC to make sure it reads between 25-30g and then I'm set to cook!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:06:30 am »
ok how many of us just got up and weighed the mc cup, i did my read 35 with cord in and 30 with cord out  :o

i did read about the cord thing but i really did not believe it .my bad  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian