Author Topic: Sterilizing Jars  (Read 26881 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Sterilizing Jars
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2012, 07:56:50 am »
I don't usually have the jars all that hot, if they are clean and dry I put them in the oven to warm them then pour in the hot jam till about 1/2 inch from top then I put the lid on and screw on very tightly.  Tip the jar upside down on a wooden board or newspaper leave about 1/2 hour then I turn them up the right way.  Usually you will then hear the lids make a little noise as the centre is sucked down. (They don't do this straight away)  Leave until cold.   To see if they are sealed, press in the centre if the lid does not go down it has sealed (you will be able to feel that it is indented) if the centre moves up and down it has not sealed. Like Jamberie I would use that one first.  Hope that makes sense

Marie

This is pretty close to what I do,  except I only turn them on their lid for 10 mins.   I also sterilize the jars with the lids on in the Microwave.  I put 1 cm  of water into the jars,  put the lid on,  not tight, and microwave for 2 mins on high.  ( 3 jars, 6 mins).   empty water out and let the jars cool a bit.  It is best to have the jars warm,  so they don't crack when the boiling jan goes in.
I have been doing this process for years.   
I probably lose 1 in 100 jars .  It is best to use jars with the small rubber ring in the lid,  like Dolmio jars
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:04:51 am by achookwoman »

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2012, 08:24:38 am »
I actually heard the sweet chilli sauce jar "pop" today after I turned it back up the right way:  it was probably 20 - 30 minutes afterwards so you are right Marie, it doesn't happen straight away. 

I've also just checked the Plum Jam jars I made yesterday and they all appear to have sealed correctly.  At least, the centre of their lids does not go 'up and down' like an unsealed jar.  I am giving them away as part of christmas hampers so I might just mention to the recipients that it is probably best for them to use it sooner rather than later just to be on the safe side.

Now that I have started making my own jam and seen how easy it is I am keen to try more .... the possibilities are endless.

Chookie, you said you also put the lids in the microwave when sterilising the jars.  Are they metal lids?  I didn't think you could put metal in the microwave without disastrous results (some of which I have experienced before!)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2012, 09:24:57 am »
V,  this is the most common question I am asked about this process.  No,  the metal lids don't react at all.  No sparks or  arking.  I usually do 4 or 5 jars at a time.  I also bottle fruit using this method.  I have posted a long description here some where.   With the bottled fruit,  I don't add any sugar.

Bottled fruit recipe from Chookie's blog
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:45:56 am by judydawn »

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2012, 09:43:15 am »
Thanks Chookie, I'll do a search to find your thread as i am interested in bottled fruit without sugar.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 09:54:22 am »
Ha Ha, thanks Judy.

Offline Brumington

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 10:27:53 am »
I use the microwave method like achookwoman has described but can I give you one word of warning? I'm sure you're not as stupid as me, but about a month ago I was lucky to not have had a bad scalding. I'd microwaved one jar and think I might have screwed the lid on too tight. When the two mins was up I opened the door and heard a hissing sound which I 'knew' was the steam. Stupidly I then undid the lid and the build up of pressure made the water and lid 'explode' over my face. It was lucky I had a tea towel which shielded me from most of the scalding hot water. Just be very careful. It is a great and east sterilising method but be aware to NOT screw the lid on too much to stop the steam escaping. If you hear a hissing sound leave it a while before unscrewing the lid.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 11:01:07 am »
Very good advice B.

Offline rostess

• View Profile
Re: Re: Sterilizing Jars
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2012, 12:09:20 pm »
I have made a few batches of tenina's strawberry vanilla jam and with my first batch I used some recycled jars and they sealed nicely, creating a vacuum. This time I used some jars that I had bought, and I sterilized them and put the jam in while it and the jars were hot, but I haven't been able to create a vacuum, even though I've tried heating both the jam and the jar up again. I think they might just be dodgy jars. I was wondering though - since the jars are still sterile, will the jam keep for a while? I wanted to give it as gifts but am hesitant to if it's not going to have a long shelf life. I've also made some salted caramel sauce and would hate to have to eat it all myself ;-P

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2012, 01:21:00 pm »
Hi I have made several lots of jam since having TMX.  Never done the vacuum thing just dunk jars in boiling water for five mins then dry in oven must have had luck on my side as none of my jam has gone off.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2012, 08:37:31 pm »
Rostess,  that is simply awful.  Did these jars have that small white ring in the lid ?  I really don't know about the keeping potential of these 2 products.  I think the sauce would be OK but  would be inclined to bring the jam to the boil again and rebottle in jars that will seal.

Offline rostess

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2012, 09:38:20 am »
Has anyone tried using these? I thought I could use them with the jars to get a good seal.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »
The transparent covers work well just by themselves but I think they might rip if you screwed a lid on top.  They might be strong enough, though - could be worth giving it a go some time.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2012, 08:04:16 pm »
I have used those covers by themselves, in fact they were the only covers we had for jam years ago.  The jam used to keep very well, and if a bit of mould was on the top of the jam dare I say it, we took that off plus a little bit below it and ate the jam.  I am not suggesting anyone else do that though   ;D   I agree with Cuilidh that they may tear if used under the screw lids especially if used dry.  My mother use to use vinegar to dampened them with.   

Marie 

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2012, 09:14:04 pm »
Emmett I could have wrote that post done all that, I use the microwave method but I just put the lids in boiling water and put a piece of glad wrap under the lid, I'm only making small amounts so it isn't on the shelf too long.

Offline cooking-good-looking

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2012, 12:52:57 am »
I normally just wash my jars hot soapy water and add hot contents whilst jars still hot- put lids on and they vacuum themselves in. Is this enough?