Author Topic: cleaning labels off jars  (Read 15985 times)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning labels off jars
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 02:41:52 am »
Hi Cath999, welcome to the forum with your first posting.  Interesting thread this one - by some method or other we are going to remove those pesty labels  ;D ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2011, 07:33:47 am »
This is what i used to get my stick labels off with:

http://www.pascoes.com.au/products.php?which=117&level=6

and of course when the bottle i had was empty, they discontinued it, but I'm glad to see that they've brought it back. I haven't bought a bottle yet, but I will the next chance I get.

cath, I'm keeping your suggestion of the WD40 in mind if I can't get hold of the oomph.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 01:13:07 pm »
Eucalyptus oil gets the nod is this household and has done so for years.  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 01:24:41 pm »
Speaking of eucalyptus oil, we used it today to remove chewing gum from my 2 1/2 yo's hair. Hmmmmm it does have lots of uses doesn't it LOL.  He got hold of some chewing gum from his older brother and what do you know it ended up in his hair !  hmmmmm Kids will be kids !!!

Offline jkmt

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 05:09:43 am »
Some great ideas for me to try here. Just to add to the collection, I give the jars a rub with metho to get off any residue after pulling off the labels.
Jenny, Central Coast NSW

I'd rather cook than clean!

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2011, 06:14:33 am »
I finally got hold of some Skin So Soft a couple of weeks ago and have only used it twice - so far the success rate is precisely 50 / 50!!!  I probably won't persevere as I find the smell way too strong for me, however I may hold my nose and try one or two of its 'other' uses and see what happens.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Bonsai

« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »
Have to agree about the smell of skin so soft (strongly antiseptic ...) - although others may like it. I haven't had much success with using it to remove gummy labels either (or some of the other things some claim it can do). Mind you, I haven't tried to get asphalt out of a horses tail yet  ;)

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2011, 01:57:33 pm »
  :D :D :D :D   I bought some but still haven't found the time to try it on anything yet.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2011, 09:27:51 pm »
Sorry you are not having much success with the SsS.

I'm still using the Skin so Soft after forty years.  I do soak the labels in water first.

It will not work with plastic labels but paper labels are a snap and after the plastic labels are peeled off, it cleans the sticky residue nicely.

At this time of the year when we have lots of bugs, I soak a small cloth with it and brush it around the edges of the outside doorways.
Flies, bees and hornets (yellow jackets here) give it a wide berth and at night it keeps moths away. 

We don't have a mosquito problem up here in the desert but it does repel them and for friends who live near the beach it also discourages sand fleas - an annoying problem along California beaches. 

A few  years ago my daughter and her family lived in Scotland (outside Inverness) for six months and whenever they went into the country they were plagued with midges.  I sent her some of the SsS and it kept the midges at bay and made their outings more enjoyable. 
They have allergies to most insect repellants. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2011, 09:33:09 pm »
Andie, following your comments / encouragement I'll persevere.  Still winter here, but if SSS keeps midges at bay in the Scottish Highlands (and I have had personal up-close contact with those wee #@%^&s) it should keep mosquitos at bay here in Australia.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Merrilyn

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 02:20:03 pm »
Andie, like you, I have been using Skin So Soft for the past 40 years.  Love, love, love the stuff.  A capful in the bath is my favourite indulgence.

I use it for cleaning my glass shower screen doors.  Keeps them clean for weeks.  Also spray our outdoor dining area in the summer to keep the flying insects at bay.

Also keep some in a spray bottle to use on my Chinese Crested Hairless dogs.  It's the only thing that keeps their skin soft and smooth and itch free.  Unfortunately due to the limited gene pool in Australia, a lot of these dogs develop itchy skin.  My 17 year old male  never suffered from this problem, but my 2 current dogs, both 5 years old are super itchy.  SSS works a treat and it's so much better than constantly having them at the vet for cortisone tablets.
Never ask a 2 year old to hold a tomato  :-)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 08:42:23 am »
I know what you mean about being a the vet constantly for cortisone tablets. Unfortunately for our dog it's not the skin that's the problem but a food allergy.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »
Basenjis don't have food allergies all that much but as they groom themselves like a cat, one is limited to the things that can be applied to them to repel bugs.
I wipe the head and neck area with a dilute solution of SsS where they can't reach with their tongues and that seems to keep the flying bugs that like to go for the eyes and ears away.  I use Frontline Plus once a month during the spring, summer and fall.  But it does not deter the gnats and deer flies that like to bite the ears and seem to swarm around the nose and eyes. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 09:25:21 pm »
We had the same problems with hunting dogs and used to smear their ears with thick layers of petroleum jelly so they couldn't get to the skin.

Offline makes_you_go_hmm

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 02:48:30 pm »
Lemon essence works well as a label remover!