Author Topic: Smelly lid!  (Read 35701 times)

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Smelly lid!
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2010, 11:08:45 am »
Chelsea, you might want a new bowl but it's a lot cheaper to check whether a new seal solves the issue!!!!

I think the problem is that we are pushing the limits.  Our morning smoothies (with 1kg of fruit, 500g of water and blending at speed 10) are a bit too much for our thermie.  When we have a bit less water or fruit (or blend at speed 8  :'() it doesn't leak. 

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2010, 03:20:27 pm »
I reckon it is the seal Chelsea. We have two new seals (I kept the old ones for emergencies or for customers who need one in the interim) however I lent my newer seal to a customer, who is a friend and am using one new and one old seal at home ( we have two tm bowls) and whenever dh does milk for coffee with the old seal in, we get leaks and that is only 500 of milk on spd 8. The seals are only $20. I reckon they are great ;) mine isn't smelly at all either  ???
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2010, 02:28:17 am »
I am looking forward to trying one of the new seals.  My machine came with a split seal (leaking from day 1 >:() and then my second and third seals lasted for less than a month before they started leaking too.  My machine gets used day in and day out, but I am always gentle when I handwash the seals. Perhaps these new seals are a little more hard wearing.

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:45 pm »
Ok job for the day is to organize the new seal as my latest batch of yoghurt, while fantastically thick, has the distinct taste of chutney made 10 days ago!! And washed right away, used in between for things. It is just the really bland things that are the problem
So one batch of yoghurt for yoghurt cheese & quiche, and 1 new seal for yoghurt, butter, smoothies etc to be ordered!!!
deb

loving my tmx!

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 09:50:53 am »
My new seal arrived today.  I think I will keep my new one for blending (juices etc) and keep my old split one for anything that may leave an odour (and that won't leak).  :)

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 11:08:47 am »
I wash mine straight away after use but I put the lid and seal in the dishwasher all the time and this seems to get rid of any smells eg onion,garlic etc.I also store my TM on the bench with the lid unlocked  and the MC off. Even though iuse my TM all the time, I don't seem to ever have a problem with unwanted  smells.
"There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is"
Albert Einstein

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2010, 11:13:42 am »
I just got my thermomix on Monday afternoon ( it's wed night now) the first thing I made by myself the day I got it was pumpkin soup and the lid still smells like pumpkin soup despite it being washed straight away and about 10 times since then!:(

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 12:12:45 pm »
I still think it is the new variety of seal that is causing the problems.  My old one never absorbed smells so I am careful not to use the new one & bowl for anything spicy.  Wonder if H.O. are aware of the problem.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2010, 02:37:08 am »
Yes I agree JD.  I have never had a problem with my old seals smelling. I must say I do like the design of the new seals though. They are a very secure fit.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:50 am »
Debetha does your seal have a clear edge to it?  If so it is one of the new ones.  They are fantastic seals in preventing liquids from leaking out, but they do seem to be retaining smells.  I am sure that HO in Australia is reporting it - it must be happening all over the TM world as they are centrally made, so something will have to be done about it you would think.  My suggestion would be to buy an additional one to have one for savoury & one for sweet.  I don't think you'll completely get rid of the smell from what I gather......Have you told your consultant? The more complaints received, the more there is likely to be a response.

Good luck!

OK guys,

This hasn't been a huge problem, and all of your suggestions are great and will help.
From HO point of view, please do not leave your TM with a closed lid (and seal) when not in use. Just like any other cooking implement, it can retain cooking smells (have you smelt your range-hood extractor fan filters lately? Ewww) and using the dishwasher to clean the TM frequently will also help. We get so accustomed to a quick rinse sometimes, because we need to cook something else in it...that we don't often take the time to put it through the dishwasher. Worse case scenario, get another seal...or dare I say another TM bowl...best thing I ever bought!
Not sure if this helps....hope so.  ;D

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2010, 04:51:23 am »

This hasn't been a huge problem, and all of your suggestions are great and will help.
From HO point of view, please do not leave your TM with a closed lid (and seal) when not in use. Just like any other cooking implement, it can retain cooking smells (have you smelt your range-hood extractor fan filters lately? Ewww) and using the dishwasher to clean the TM frequently will also help. We get so accustomed to a quick rinse sometimes, because we need to cook something else in it...that we don't often take the time to put it through the dishwasher. Worse case scenario, get another seal...or dare I say another TM bowl...best thing I ever bought!
Not sure if this helps....hope so.  ;D

[/quote]

I disagree - it is a NEW problem, for the first few weeks I had my TMX I was very disappointed because I couldn't work out what the problem was, and why flavours were transferring to yoghurt etc, when no one else had the same problem. So it is a manageable problem, but given that it is due to the new seals etc, it needed to be identified and recognised. Now we know what the problem is, it is much easier to sort out, and at least people won't feel let down by their purchase.

I have contacted HO and they are sending me a new seal! Fab. SO I can save that for sweet things, and not have more onion yoghurt for breakfast! Very happy now.

ANd for the record, I never give things a quick rinse, but am meticuous in washing it properly & immediately and airing - the smell still lingers though although fades over a week or so with bicarb/ vinegar/ freezings/ dishwashings etc but still was noticeable in the yoghurt at 10 days...

Deb
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2010, 06:01:45 am »
I have to agree with you Deb, there were no problems with the old type of seal only this new one.  Perhaps the machine should be supplied with 2 seals, one for savoury dishes and one for sweet ones. No-one should have to spend so much time and effort ensuring their seal does not retain odours - the TMX is afterall, supposed to be a timesaver in the kitchen.

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2010, 06:27:39 am »
No-one should have to spend so much time and effort ensuring their seal does not retain odours - the TMX is afterall, supposed to be a timesaver in the kitchen.

It was more that I felt let down by my new wonder machine and couldn't work out why I was having this problem, after spending so much and having such high hopes.
Hopefully now the problem has been idenitified, a second seal may be provided, or at least offered routinely to new purchasers.
Thanks for the support - back to the TMX working like mad before I have my baby TOMORROW MORNING!!! I just wish I had other household devices to do the other stuff I had to do that were as efficient as the TMX!!
deb
deb

loving my tmx!

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2010, 06:41:44 am »
Thanks for the support - back to the TMX working like mad before I have my baby TOMORROW MORNING!!!

OMG debetha, what a time to have your baby  :o !  Congratulations and I hope all goes well for you.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2010, 06:43:44 am »
Good luck with the birth Deb, a great Christmas present apart from the fact you will be in hospital and not be able to join in the festivities with the rest of the family.