Author Topic: Steaming cakes?  (Read 18928 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Steaming cakes?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 02:24:28 pm »
I think it is 8 silicone cup cake moulds you can fit in the varoma tray (it could also be 12 lol)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 10:24:26 am »
We used 14 regular sized silicon cup cake moulds in the two trays last time, and they fit fine.  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 12:57:33 pm »
lol goes to show how much attention I paid ... on another note that means the kids ate more than I thought!  :o :o
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline cazza

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 11:42:16 am »
i cooked some sticky date puddings,  i steamed them,they came out great,i didnt know how long to do this for so i just kept checking,i used the single silicon  patty cake things???,they are  great 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 12:57:02 pm »
Well done cazza.. welcome to the forum too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 04:30:21 am »
Last night I made Sussex Pond Puddings.  These are funny little steamed puds,  with a scone type dough used to line 1/2 cup ceramic dishes.  The center that is hollow is filled with 1/4 of a lemon and a sugar and butter mix,  then a lid is placed on top.  4 dishes fitted in the top steamer and cooked for 1  1/2  hours.  I would like to tweak the recipe a little and then will post if anyone is interested.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 04:37:15 am »
i'm interested chookie  ;D i got a special mention at the gym this morning that the reason i probably couldn't do the excercise properly was because i enjoyed my desserts too much (ouch!) true, but not going to cut them out, probably just take a slightly smaller portion...maybe...not!
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 04:54:50 am »
Hi Kezza,  I have seen silicon patty cake molds, for six and also for 12 at cookware shops and also BigW and I think Tupperware sell them.  These should keep firm and allow the mixture to rise while being steamed.  Good luck!!

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 10:47:41 am »
I'll try the silicon moulds next time. I like the idea of the sticky date puddings cooked in the moulds. I normally make the mixture in the TMX as well as the sauce, so that would be a complete TMX recipe!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline kezza

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 11:37:53 am »
Hi Trudy, thanks for that.  I have some patty cake silicon moulds, but the other night I tried a chocolate/date pudding recipe in dariole moulds.  I could fit 8 in Varoma, but only made 6 because I was experimenting with the recipe and wasn't sure how much it would rise.  They puffed up beautifully, but a little too much, so I think I could make 8 out of the mixuture. I want to do this recipe again ( it is a tweaking of a Stephanie Alexander recipe) and once I am happy with it I will post it, as I made it all in the TMX and then steamed in Varoma.  Big thankyou to you all for your ideas on this one.  :)  I am currently trying to work out a recipe for a self-saucing pudding in the Varoma too.  Has anyone tried this?

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 11:55:38 am »
I am currently trying to work out a recipe for a self-saucing pudding in the Varoma too.  Has anyone tried this?

No, but I was thinking the same thing - I think it would work well!
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 03:00:40 pm »
Hmm...you would need a casserole dish that fitted in the lower steaming compartment.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 05:16:48 am »
i have a dish that fits in the bottom, but it covers up the holes - would that still work?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2010, 06:17:02 am »
Probably not as the steam won't rise up. You'd need one with a small base.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2010, 09:02:45 am »
Over the last few months I have been experimenting with different sizes in pyrex and similar dishes.  To avoid blocking up the steam holes,  sit an egg ring under the dish.  I have been carting the Varoma around with me,  when i go shopping.   :-[ :-[ :-[  the shop assistants have been very helpful,  and I now have a variety of dishes, ( some with lids and some without).

With the steamed puds,  in the Varoma,  only fill the dishes 2/3 full.   This doesn't look much but when cooked will fill the dish.   I can't see why a self saucing pud wouldn't work.   I think that the moulds,  small or large should be covered so that they are not wet on the top.   I don't like the look of pale steamed puds,  so I usually sprinkle the tops with cinnamon.   Hope this helps.