Author Topic: Bread Tin Preparation  (Read 25044 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Bread Tin Preparation
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 05:04:10 am »
My favorite bread tin at the moment is a $2.50 one from Aldi,  although I have to admit that the proper bread tins do cook the crust better,
I feel better now - that's what I've been using for a while.  No one here would notice the difference if I bought more expensive pans.

By the way in case anyone is interested, they have 50g packets of dried shitake mushrooms and other dried mushrooms at the moment in their specials section.  And my shop still have the porcini 20g packets ($2.79) from a while ago so I stocked up today.  JD - I could post you some...
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 07:12:20 am »
Cathy79,  I hate to tell you this,  but after spending many,  many $ on expensive porcini mushrooms,   they can be replaced with the less expensive chinese dried ones.   I put some in the TMX and grind them up and when I want some mushroom flavor just add to whatever.

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 08:07:36 am »
Cathy79,  I hate to tell you this,  but after spending many,  many $ on expensive porcini mushrooms,   they can be replaced with the less expensive chinese dried ones.   I put some in the TMX and grind them up and when I want some mushroom flavor just add to whatever.
Better to know now than never.  Thanks Chookie!
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 08:31:11 am »
Because of your information Chookie, I have declined Cathy's kind offer of sending me some cheaper porcinis - cheap dried ones for me from now on.  I wouldn't have wasted my money on those expensive bread tins either if I had read of your $2.50 favourite tin  :-)) :-)) :-))  Think I am going to have to ask you before I ever buy anything again Chookie  ;D ;D ;D :-* :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2010, 06:34:48 am »
Thanks Chookie & others.  You can buy pre-seasoned tins, which means they have already had the oil/heat combo.  A bit like seasoning woks. 

Then don't wash - just oil well first.

If you do wash the need to re-season them.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline KL_inTheMiX

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 10:51:42 am »
I've only just started making bread and use some random loaf shape tin I found in the back of my cupboard.
Buttered and floured (kinda like what you do for a souffle dish) and the loaf just plonks right out!! Easy peasy.

Oh, I wash it or dishwasher it too.

:)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2010, 11:02:22 am »
Yes KL,  I use all sorts of tins,  depending on the end result I want.  Well covered in Canola oil, no probs.  I also use my cast iron cook ware,   but do the spray with canola trick and then sprinkle plenty of sesame seeds or rolled oats in to cover bottom and sides.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 07:28:31 am »
I find that my bread tins that are silver on the inside seem to release the bread easily, but the one I have that is dark inside is a real horror. Both were bought at the same shop but are vastly different sizes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 01:40:31 pm »
I find that my bread tins that are silver on the inside seem to release the bread easily, but the one I have that is dark inside is a real horror. Both were bought at the same shop but are vastly different sizes.
Interesting observation cookie! Mine are both silver inside.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Depome

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 05:08:59 am »
Mine came from a dedicated bread making shop here, and it is very silver. The edge is rolled outwards over a piece of rectangular wire that maintains the shape of the top. The corners are folded. It's quite the work of art  :P Was about $35 I think. I don't have to do anything to this tin. It must be non-stick, but it doesn't have a black coating or anything. I washed it the first time, but it kinda leaked rusty water from the corners then  :o So now we just wipe the crumbs out. No paper, no oil, no flour, just the dough, and then I tip the bread out. Absolutely zero issues. I love it :) That's why I asked for it for Christmas  ;D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15:02 pm »
All mine a bread tins bought from Kitchen Warehouse, just all different sizes. If I buy anymore I will make sure they have silver inside.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 12:32:17 am »
My bread tins come from a a shop for professionals and they were all $35 plu,s I think. The advisory baker there told me never to do anything to them including washing them and I haven't . I just wipe them out  when needs be. I have never had a problem with them. I often release the bread just before it is finished and put it back in the oven to crisp up. All depends on the type of bread I am making.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 03:14:19 am »
MIne are silver on the inside too  ;D
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 07:15:58 am »
I have just been given my first bread tin (thanks to my MIL).  It was just over $30, from a kitchen store, is silver inside and out and doesn't come with any instructions. The ladies at the shop suggested to my MIL that I wash the tin in hot soapy water and then brush it with oil before use.  I am thinking however (after reading this thread) that I should season it and then try just putting the dough in without oil.  Is this taking too much of a risk though? Perhaps I should line it?  Oh I don't know!  ??? ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 11:54:00 am »
Chelsea, I would play it safe and fully line it - it is not worth ruining a loaf by trusting it to just fall out.  That's what I am going to do with my tins.  I saw those all silver ones when I got my bread tins which were the heavy black ones with the silver lining but I wouldn't believe anything they told me in those shops as I really don't think they know for sure. Just my opinion and experience.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.