Author Topic: Bread Tin Preparation  (Read 25042 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bread Tin Preparation
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:56:04 am »
I used one of my new bread tins today to make isi's normal bread as a loaf as I have had success both as a loaf and as rolls before.  I tried to find information on how to prepare the tin beforehand but couldn't find anything except 'flour it'.
I washed it in detergent, dried it and tried to flour it but the flour didn't stick to the sides or bottom at all (as I expected it wouldn't) and I wasn't sure if I should oil it or not.  I placed a piece of baking paper in the bottom though to prevent that sticking but it was a disaster.  When it cooked I couldn't get it out of the tin.  I ran a knife around the sides and accidentally cut into the bread whilst doing so and when I finally got it out using an egg lifter, it sort of fell apart because I had cut into the sides. Help, what do I do next time to my bread tin?  The bread was perfect by the way albeit slightly mangled.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
Re: Bread Tin Preparation
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 09:30:44 am »
I use baking paper on every side with mine or it is always well greased and floured.  The main point I have always been told is to never wash them in between uses.  You can wipe them out but not wash.  Guess it's a bit like seasoning a wok.   :)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 09:38:27 am »
JD as C said you are not supposed to wash them  ??? sorry!! I have not done anything to mine except wipe it out with a damp cloth before the first time I used mine and I haven't done anything with them since unless they have something like seeds in them which I just shake out. Mine come out eaily every single time - even the wet mixes like the seed loaf from the EDC
I hope it is ok. Maybe leave it in the oven while it is cooling from cooking something else to get rid of any extra moisture.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:21:29 am »
That's good to know as I had a run of loafs breaking in half as the bottom half stayed in the tin. I used macadamia oil as the instructions said not to use olive oil....
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:23:34 am »
JD,   I think you are supposed to paint them with oil and heat them in a very hot oven.  It is called 'seasoning'  them.   A few tricks that I have learned....... use canola oil to spray your tins.  It seems to prevent the dough sticking better than other oils.   I also put seeds or rolled oats in the base and  tip it around to cover the sides and get into the corners,  I just wipe out the tins if I want to change the seeds,  and then spray again.  We have all had things stick and it is very upsetting,   I love the look of a loaf when it comes out of the tin clean.    This is something we all aim for.   I'm not sure if you can season after you have already cooked in the tin.   I think i would just spray very generously with canola and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  i have used this method with isi's buttermilk and potato bread which is very wet,  and it didn't stick. Others may have other ideas.  Work out what you think is most likely to work for you. ;)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 01:27:56 pm »
Thanks for the tips girls.  I am ticked off that there were no instructions with a $33 loaf tin. Might spray it AND line it next time to be sure it drops out nicely.  The seed trick sounds good too Chookie.  The smaller tin is still as I bought it so that one definately won't be getting washed. I even came to the computer to see if you were online Chookie and I was going to PM you whilst the bread was rising but I see you were busy in your kitchen most of the day. 

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:04:31 pm »
I'm with Meagan and never wash mine and don't put anything into it except for the dough.

I rather suspect it depends on what your bread tin is made from - do you have a manufacturer's name that you could research on the web?  You might find some hints there - or perhaps contact the shop you bought it from.  2 friends of mine run a wonderful cookshop and I always get stuff from there as it's great quality and they are full of knowledge about all their products.   Shame you don't live closer  :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 01:57:20 am »
No name on mine Katya.  It is a heavy tin, black on the outside and silver on the inside. Weird that it had no manufacturer's name or paperwork to go with it.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 02:49:08 am »
What brand are yours Meagan?  They sounds good.  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 01:49:44 pm »
JD, that sounds like the same ones that All About Bread sell. I have two different ones, one is black (All About Bread) on the outside and one silver. I haven't washed either. I don't oil, line or flour them and have never had any sticking problems! I just wipe them out each time.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 01:55:06 pm »
What brand are yours Meagan?  They sounds good.  :)
Chelsea they are from all about bread - the same as MJ's. I have the ones that are silver on the outside, with the slide on lid to make a block loaf if I want to (which I imagine I will need to when my boys start school and want bread that looks like everyone elses!!) They are the same as professional bread tins with the folded edges. Not cheap ( can't remember exactly how much) but worth every penny. When I bought them I was told not to wash them at all, ever!!!
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »
 If I have a failure I tend to go back into my box but I have to use these tins now that I have paid so much for them.  Will work out which path to go down when next I bake a loaf - thanks everyone.  :-*

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 02:05:28 pm »
I try to use Gladbake generously wherever possible, and will re-use it as many times as possible. Am really lazy on washing the Tefal (or similar coated tins/slides) unless there is a drip or two but would try to "chip it off". 

I fail on washing frypans...how to get a frypan clean that has had something frying in it without giving it a bit of a going over with at least some detergent is beyond me...I have totally ruined them.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33:22 am »
I'm saving up for some bread tins so I will look for those ones.  Thanks MJ and Meagan.  :)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 04:52:07 am »
My favorite bread tin at the moment is a $2.50 one from Aldi,  although I have to admit that the proper bread tins do cook the crust better,