Author Topic: Sugar - Rapadura? Muscovado? Sucanat?  (Read 64160 times)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
Re: Sugar - Rapadura? Muscovado? Sucanat?
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 04:42:28 am »
Oh, this is all so frustrating, isn't it!!  I really think different producers do slightly different processes, and there's no 'one way' of making agave, or evaporated cane sugar, so some ways are better than others.  The Madhava agave syrup is considered 'raw' because it's cooked at less than 118o (at least that's what they say), and I know others say that - but then the process described by David Wolfe sounds pretty scary!  I've read of 3 different ways agave is processed - the hydrolysis method (where they add water and cook over low heats) is supposed to be the best - but David Wolfe doesn't mention that one. 

I don't agree about the Rapadura - I wonder where he gets his info about the processing, and lack of vitamins and minerals???  Especially if he says organic molasses is good, which is more refined than Rapadura, as it's the 'mother juice' that is taken away from sugar when it's being heated and spun - and it's not taken away from Rapadura!  And I know a few people who have headaches and candida problems if they eat sugar, but don't get that with Rapadura (which D.W. says you do).  Oh well.  Guess we'll never know all the answers, and just have to do the best with what info we have.
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 06:18:16 am »
I agree Jo.  It is so frustrating.  Every article that I read seems to suggest something different and with so many "experts" on the internet it is hard to check sources and find out the actual truth.

Based on the information that I have read I have decided to stop ordering and using Agave Syrup.  I am not convinced that "raw agave" isn't ok to use, but have decided that I can do without it and that it's safer to give it a miss.

With regard to rapadura, I have decided to continue using it.  I know that the rapadura I source isn't made in the traditional sun-dried method and that it is somewhat "refined", but I believe it is my best option at the moment.  Rapadura doesn't upset my son's stomach or behaviour, which makes me believe that it is significantly different to the refined sugars that create so many problems for him.

And now what about maple syrup and honey?  Anything we should know there???  :D

Offline Russell

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2010, 07:13:40 am »
And now what about maple syrup and honey?  Anything we should know there???  :D

On the FAILSAFE diet, Maple Syrup is allowed, so is Golden Syrup (although I'm not sure why it's OK but brown sugar, due to the molasses isn't). Honey has Salicylates, which are a non-no until you challenge them to see if they affect you.

Russell.

Offline Moonmobile

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2010, 08:47:59 am »
It is such a minefield out there. I am also frustrated by all the conflicting information. I've concluded that all one can do is experiment and hope for the best and see if one reacts to any given sweetener. Honey and fruit seem to be the safest.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2010, 10:02:54 am »
Yes, I use raw honey a lot, and pure maple syrup a little... I'm decreasing my use of agave because I'm just not sure.  (Never used a lot of it anyway, as it's too expensive.)  I often grind up dates to substitute for part of the sugar, and use Rapadura for the rest.  (And most recipes don't need as much sweetening as they say, I think.)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2010, 12:15:44 pm »
Although it's frustrating, at least these differing views are keeping us interested and we're not getting complacent.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2010, 12:40:06 pm »
Although it's frustrating, at least these differing views are keeping us interested and we're not getting complacent.

Very true.  :)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2010, 10:00:37 am »
You'll be glad to know that Debra Lynn Dadd, of Sweet Savvy, is going to help us out with these questions!!!  Answers coming soon...
 ;D

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2010, 10:09:42 am »
Great news Jo.  :)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2010, 11:33:17 pm »
On ya Jo - have to check her site for some more recipes.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2010, 10:14:05 am »
Hi all

I am trying out some rapadura at the moment.  I am a little confused though.  If I am using it in baking for sweetness and cooking it at about 180oc will that then destroy the nutrients left in it from being sun dried? As it is a very expensive sweetener should I reserve it for raw recipes? Also what are the ratios in comparison to raw sugar?

Thanks

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:11 am »
With regard to the ratio, you can use rapadura as a direct substitute (eg 100g raw = 100g rapadura).  I often use a little less rapadura however because it is more expensive and often recipes are heavily sweetened anyway.

With regard to the nutrients it really comes down to personal choice.  A lot of the nutrients in the rapadura are destroyed by high temperature, so raw recipes are certainly a better option nutrionally.  For me personally I do use rapadura in my baking, but more as a form of damage control.  Baking with rapadura certainly doesn't make your baking "healthy" as humans really aren't designed to eat sweetened baked goods.  As we like our cakes and puddings though ;), I use rapadura as it is a far better option than the heavily refined raw sugar.

To cope with the cost of rapadura on one-income, I buy a 5kg sack ($28) every other month and fill up my kitchen container each week from the sack (ration it out). We haven't run out yet and if we come close it is a good indication that we have had too much sweet stuff and need to slow it down anyway. :)

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2010, 01:00:33 pm »
That rationing idea is a good plan Chelsea!  I often cut it down in recipes too - eg. if the recipe says 200g sugar, I might use 100g Rapadura and 50g honey, or even less Rapadura as most recipes are too sweet, as you say!  (Did this with the chocolate chip cookie recipe in the 'My Way of Cooking' book, and still WAY too sweet for me!)

I use raw honey and Rapadura in baking, although they're obviously not 'raw' once baked, but at least (as Chelsea said) it's better than the more refined options.

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2010, 12:55:17 am »
Thanks for that.  Chelsea where to you source your 5kg bags from? 

Thanks again

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2010, 04:52:05 am »
I buy it from Biodistributors here.  I live close to the company though so I only pay a tiny amount of freight (they hand deliver - so cute :D).  I was buying it from a mainland company (organic feast??), but the postage was a killer. It really does pay to shop around and hopefully find something local.  ;D