Author Topic: Sterilizing Jars  (Read 26884 times)

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
Sterilizing Jars
« on: May 04, 2011, 02:29:36 am »
Hi I am just wondering if I could have some advice please about sterilizing jars and bottles.  I realise that there are many different ways to do this but is there some ways more effective or easier than others? My sister and I tried Jam on the weekend and washed the jars and then poured boiling water in them. We then filled them with the hot jam and turned them upside down.  4 of the jars made a sucking type sound but the other 2 didnt - are they supposed to???? Also I am wondering about making sauces and syrups and how to store those. I usually buy them in a plastic aqueeze bottle but if I am making my own I am wondering how people store them (Ie brownie or coffee syrup) so that they can easily be poured. I realise that this is probably a fairly basic question - but I have never done this before as sterilizing jars has always put me off!!!!!! Thanks for any help. Sharyn

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
Re: Sterilizing Jars
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:15:17 am »
I like to wash and rinse my jars before putting them into a low oven to dry and sterilise them.

The sucking sound is the vacuum being created as the jars cool. When you open them, they'll pop just like store bought jarred products.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 03:57:01 am »
I scrub mine in hot soapy water and then rinse with boiling water.  I put them upside down on an oven tray and put them in the oven (at around 140 degrees) until they are completely dry (about 20 minutes).

I would use your batch of jam up in the next couple of months as I don't think your jars would have been sterile and mould could be a problem.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 04:18:12 am »
Shazzy, I use my old soy sauce etc bottles for storing syrups or sauces as they aren't too big.  There are some more ways to sterilize jars here.  I use the microwave or dishwasher method. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:48:32 am »
Hi Sharyn  ;) *wave*
I use bpa free decor brand squeeze bottles from bigw for brownie milk syrup, wash in soapy water then poor slightly cooled boiled kettle water in it and then store it in the fridge.
I buy jars and lids in bulk for my jam, lemon butter, stock and sauces. I was the jars and lids in soapy water rinse and heat in the o en at 150 for 10-20 mins, then when in the jar tip upside down for 10 mins.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Shazzy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:22:42 am »
Thanks everyone - Looks like we will be eating lots of plum jam over the next month! Thanks for all your tips and advice.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 04:03:46 am »
Quick question.... when you turn your jars upside down to create a seal, is it normal for some of the contents to spill out?  I have tried this method twice now (Beetroot Relish and Plum Jam) and on both occasions I've had some of the relish/jam spill out onto the bench.  Any ideas why this happens?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:34:56 am »
It hasn't happened to me Vieve, are you sure the lids were threaded on correctly?  What did you do, remove the lid, clean things up then try again?

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:46:25 am »
I am pretty sure the lids were threaded on correctly JD.  The first time I used a cheap KMart jar so wasn't that surprised when it happened but this time i was using Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni preserving jars. 

I just left the jars upside down for 15 minutes and did the cleaning up afterwards.  Hopefully they have all sealed properly.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:11:56 am »
When this has happened to me Vieve, the lid has not been on properly.  It has stopped sometimes when I have tightened it a bit more, or I have removed the lid, cleaned it and around the thread on the jar and screwed it on again  and that has usually worked.  I have not used the jars you have but I have found the lids on the jars I use need to be put on fairly tight.  Hope this helps  :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 11:09:42 am »
I haven't had it happen to me yet, though I did have one jar crack the other day
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 11:20:39 am »
OK, sounds like I am doing something wrong when putting on the lids of my jars  ???

I am wondering if it is because the jars were really hot (taken straight from the oven after sterilisation) and hence the metal lid is not making contact correctly.  Maybe next time I will cool the jars a bit before I pour in the relish/jam.  Do you think this could be the problem?  I need to make another batch of something to test it out.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 11:27:10 am »
I thought the jars had to be pretty hot when you pour the mixture in, maybe it's got something to do with the lid being hot.  I'm guessing here  :D

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 11:37:07 am »
I thought they needed to be hot too JD.  Oh well, I guess I'll see what happens next time.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 06:31:31 pm »
This lid sealing has been a grey area for me as well.  I'll be interested to read what happens with your next batch.  I have always put the lid on immediately after filling the jars and everything is generally way too hot to handle and am never confident that I have a good seal.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.