Author Topic: Best "vessel" to make yoghurt  (Read 30427 times)

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
Re: Best "vessel" to make yoghurt
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2010, 01:50:15 am »
For the first time in about 8 months of yoghurt making, after the 8 or so hours, it was still just milk.  So I let it sit for a further 6 hours, and voila - just needed some more time for some reason.  Maybe the cold weather.

Glad I tried the extra time.  Hope this helps someone.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2010, 10:15:23 am »
My yoghurt making is never consistent.  Sometimes I get lovely firm yoghurt and the next time 'slimey' yoghurt. I sterilise everything with boiling water, perhaps I will use Milton next time.
I love to add dried fruit to mine and leave it in there so it gets all puffed up and sort of sweetens the yoghurt.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2010, 12:41:24 pm »
Yes I use the Milton sterilizing tablets for all the stuff that needs it.  They are usually in the baby section.  :)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2010, 12:59:17 am »
JulieO I am considering getting the yoghurt maker you have. I am also planning to buy some culture from cheese links. Has anyone bought from them? I am looking at the aby stronger flavor and thick set. I would love to hear opinions. Also it looks like to buy it as a pack with the culture it is cheaper than buying them separately from the place you linked JO. So if I am going to get it I would like to do that rather than waste postage. Opinions???
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2010, 01:23:34 am »
If you can save money why not.  I haven't tried any of the starters, I have only used pot set yoghurt, so will be interested in what anyone else can tell us too.  :)

Offline leo081977

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2010, 06:27:45 am »
WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo i tried again...I wrapped the thermoserver in a towel adn left it on the bench nearlly 24 hours...and its WORKED YAY :) :) :) :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2010, 06:51:22 am »
I think that means you are one happy chappy Leo081977  :D :D  Well done.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2010, 08:41:52 am »
Congratulations. To achieve the perfect yoghurt is indeed a success. Perhaps I need to give mine more time.

Offline foodiepep

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2010, 03:46:17 am »
I've been making my own yoghurt since reading Valerie's blog.  I've tweaked it a little though.  I start by grinding about 40g of sugar add then adding 2 litres of milk and 1/2 cup of skim milk powder.  I follow Valerie's instructions and add the started yoghurt to it once it has cooled enough.  Once the weather started to get cooler I noticed that it took longer to set in the thermoserve so started wrapping it in a towel. 

Today's yoghurt I added some cherries. I pitted and quartered the cherries and added about a 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar (I never measure) and heated them until the sugar had dissolved.  Once it had all cooled I added it to the yoghurt.  Now we have Cherry Yoghurt.   ;D ;D

Every now and again I use a new yoghurt as a starter.  Not every 4th batch but every month or so.  We also make a batch of yoghurt twice a week. 

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2010, 02:23:55 pm »
My mother always made yogurt when I was little girl, when I left home I took the old brevil yogurt maker with me.  At 39 I still make about 3 - 4 lt a week I do every thing with yogurt.
About 5 years ago I was recommended to try a culture from cheese link and have never looked back!!! a packet of culture lasts me 12 months.  Depending on what I want to do with it I vary the amount of powdered milk to get a creamier or thicker style of yogurt.

I heat the milk (I use UHT) and 1/4 to 1 cup of milk powder in TM to 90 dec and let cool to 37 dec.  This depasturisers it.
Then I add about 5 grains of culture to the milk and put in my new yogurt maker (the old brevil still worked and made individual pots - my new one from cheese link make 1 big batch.

The other web site for tips is http://www.greenlivingaustralia.com.au/yoghurt_culture.html

From cheeslink at the moment they have a special
Type C1 yoghurt starter
 $20.00

Sterile bottle to store yoghurt starter
 $1.00

Easy Yoghurt Maker
 $55.00

Regular Price
 $76.

DISCOUNT
 -$5.00

LOW PRICE
 $71.00

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 02:37:33 pm »
Am I the only one that couldn't make it consistent and decided esiyo was maybe not as good but soooo much easier?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 08:12:56 am »
No Zan, you're not. Mine is still not how it should be. It freezes and makes good icecream or I eat it.

Thanks for your prices berringamababe.  I may have to look at that way to do my yoghurt.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2010, 08:26:41 am »
Good to see you back berringamababe.  Thanks for the links  :-* :-* :-*  I have a yoghurt maker from about 30 years ago  :o :o
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.