Author Topic: Yoghurt  (Read 70139 times)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Yoghurt
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 05:20:40 am »

Looking forward to you posting the yogurt recipe, Tenina.  Great to hear that you've fixed it. 

Yeah - won't have to resort to the New Zealand Easiyo - although I have been using it for a while ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2008, 09:43:50 pm »
Yeehaa!  I did the yogurt again and it worked this time (used the UK recipe I posted earlier in this thread). 

2 things were different to last time: 
a) husband didn't pick up thermos flask and ask what it was (had florescent DO NOT TOUCH sign on it this time) and
b) the live yogurt culture used was more reliable. 

Not sure which it was that made the difference, but one or both of them did.  ;D

It was slightly thinner than I prefer, so I made some of it slightly runnier still, mixed it with bramble jelly and turned it into drinking yogurt.  The rest I've strained to become Greek yogurt.  Next time I'll add 3 tblsp milk powder rather than 2, and see if that gives me the texture I like.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 10:29:09 pm »
Good work - we are waiting for Tenina's update too.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 02:57:20 am »
Congratulations CarolineW.  I had given up.  I may now try using the 3 tablespoons of milk powder.  Did you use full cream milk to start with? May I ask what brand starter you used too please?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 02:52:30 pm »
I used Yeo Valley organic natural live yogurt.  And I used full fat/cream milk.  I've just put on another batch this morning using the 3 tbsp powdered milk, so I'll post how that worked.
As my picture shows, I've suddenly become younger :-)  DD was of the opinion that her picture should be here, not mine!

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 11:52:11 am »
Well, batch number 3 failed  ???  After thinking about it, I had done one thing differently.  I had left it for the 8 hours stated in the recipe.  With batch 2 I was out of the house, so it was more like 12 hours.  So I put the lid of the thermos back on, and left it for several more hours.  Lift off!  :D

Incidentally, I turned the runny yogurt into a yogurt smoothie.  Blended frozen banana and raspberries on speed 10, then runny yogurt and honey at speed 5.  Sieved it to get the Raspberry seeds out (ostensibly for DD, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.  Why would an adult have a problem with seeds in their smoothie?  So it couldn't be for me too, no of course not  ;D )

Offline UnConundrum

• View Profile
    • What I love to eat
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 12:42:57 am »
Hey guys, can you make a good thick Greek style yoghurt in the TM?  How?

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 01:35:15 am »
Yes, I'd like to be able to do greek yoghurt too.
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 02:50:55 pm »
OK kids, now this won't appear in any TM books, but if you use UHT milk, the process is a lot quicker. Also use a few tablespoons of powdered milk to thicken the mix after heating it and before allowing it to stand PERFECTLY untouched or moved for 5 - 8 hours.
If you are using UHT milk you can use the current recipe in the current Everyday book and I am pretty sure it will work. Use a good pot set yogurt as your starter...full cream if possible at least initially. Reserve some of your own yogurt for your next starter. I promise I will post the recipe...someone send me an email to work please??? I honestly have so much going through my little head, that nothing sticks right now! I am on leave at the end of this week...(Jan 30th)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2009, 01:54:43 am »
Have fun Stateside Tenina. ;D ;D  Good luck in the deep south.
Thermomixer in Australia

Offline CarolineW

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2009, 01:21:46 pm »
Those of you who have been making EasiYo yogurt, take some of the yogurt you've made as a starter.  It's a good quality live starter.  The ones I could get hold of from the supermarket only worked for one batch, then I had to start again.  Reading around the web, that's down to the quality of your starter.  So I went out and got some EasiYo to make, as their whole point is that they're 'extra live', so to speak.  So far it's working well.  I'll keep you posted ...

Offline ~Lauren~

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 03:52:41 pm »
Tenina, any chance you could post that amended yoghurt recipe please? I prefer not to use UHT or powdered milk.
Thanks ;)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 11:15:58 am »
I am hoping to make some yoghurt from the UK cookbook this weekend.  I don't have a thermos or yoghurt maker and was intending to leave it in the TMX for 8 hours but am unclear as to what settings I should use if I do so.

Would I need to set a temperature for the TMX and, if so, what should it be? 

Hope someone out there can help.  ... I've now got a bit alarmed by all the tales of failure here so am feeling a bit cautious.

Offline baf65

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 01:44:21 pm »
you wouldnt be able to leave it in the TM on a particular temperature for 8hrs, and I dont think even the Thermo jug would work just on its own, but I could be wrong.  I have had no sucess with yoghurt either!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 02:04:32 pm »
Me neither, mine turned out like drinking yoghurt and I have an EasyYo container to rest it in.  Someone out there has to have had continued success - it can't be that hard surely. Please let us know if you have.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.