Author Topic: Food glossary for Non-Aussies  (Read 46479 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Food glossary for Non-Aussies
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 12:52:57 am »
Remember the free bottle of milk we had given to us each day girls?  The crates were delivered early in the morning and sat outside the office in the sun until someone bought them in - they then expected us to drink it for morning recess???  I've always hated plain milk so I used to take pink flavouring to try and make it drinkable then I found I really didn't have to drink it if I didn't want to ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 02:58:02 am »
Chunder is value added food.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 03:04:08 am »
Remember the free bottle of milk we had given to us each day girls?  The crates were delivered early in the morning and sat outside the office in the sun until someone bought them in - they then expected us to drink it for morning recess???  I've always hated plain milk so I used to take pink flavouring to try and make it drinkable then I found I really didn't have to drink it if I didn't want to ;D
That milk was revolting, Judy, sadly, I still remember it well after all these years.

Gert, that is an interesting definition - it doesn't make it any more appealing, though.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2014, 04:24:09 am »

In winter ours were sat next to the wood heater in the class room. And were made to drink it.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2014, 04:49:55 am »
We never had bottles as we were in the bush. For a while it was dropped off in tetra packs. It sat in the sun like Judy's for hours. It was always sour. I don't like milk on its own either Judy.
When I started work the kids were still having free milk. If it was someone's birthday we used to ask if they would like strawberry or banana milk. We then dropped the appropriate colour food colouring in the bottle.  8)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2014, 08:58:20 am »
Mum remembers the milk at school Judy.
What about snot blocks 😄

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:19 am »
I am of the vintage when free milk was not at school - thank goodness! I remember Mum and Dad talking about it and neither of them could drink milk!

My Mum was the queen of sangas. She would make all sorts and it was always interesting to say the least to see what she had packed me for the day. One of her faves was peanut paste, celery and sultanas. Or grated carrot and sultanas. I would beg for a vegemite sanga so I would be deemed "normal"! Thank goodness she was also the queen of no germs, and our lunches had to be cold, so I never ate anything that was soggy or floppy regardless of the heat ;D

Ok Kimmy - you've got me on the snot blocks. As soon as you say what they are I'll go "oh yeah I remember them"...

And yes I remember the trip home on the bus Cookie. It would take about an hour - if the driver didn't have a bit of a chat to one of the Mum's or Dad's on the way, it was hot, the seats were vinyl and would sear a pattern in your bum and the backs of your legs when you sat down, someone would always fart which would make someone else threaten to chunder, the bus driver would hit the brakes hard so we'd end up hurtling over the seat and landing in a heap on the seat in front of you, it was always dusty (no sealed roads on my bus ride home) and if I never had any water left to drink  :(

If it was really really hot (over 45) the bus driver would stop at the roadhouse on the way out of town and buy us all an icypole and a cool drink. Which was fantastic for the first 5 minutes, but when you'd finished it all you wanted was a drink of water to wash the sugar down!
You really are bringing back some memories now Cookie! And not all of them good!!

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2014, 09:55:03 am »
Lol Nikkit. It's a vanilla slice!
Like the sound of carrot and sultana sandwiches. Must try it one day.
Germs not a big problem in our house. Nan would always say "you've gotta eat so much dirt before you die". Tough love hey!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 09:57:40 am »
You had a lovely bus driver Nikkit. Ours was a meanie. Sometimes he bought us an icy pole at Christmas. He would try and split us up by putting some up the front of the bus and some down the back. It didnt help. He had a little bald patch on his head and we used to try and hit it with paper in an elastic band. I managed to jag it one day. He was sort of cross. I was the bus prefect too. Gosh I was a bugger. Such fun at the time though.

Mum used to give us apple and sultana sandwiches. I loved them. They tasted like toffee apple.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 11:11:44 am »
Wouldn't the apple go brown Cookie?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 12:00:26 pm »
I don't really remember to be honest Judy. I think it may have at the edges of the sandwich. It was grated apple.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 12:08:53 pm »
I remember the school milk program but my kids never ever drank it. The never drank milk really. Water babies they were. I guess because I never liked milk so rarely bought it. Full of sugar anyway but they did eat lots of  cheese. Neither one drink milk today and my grandkids don't drink  much milk either unless it is fresh un homogenised . I guess  there is lots of that in India. Actually I think milk is overrated! greasy and quite disgusting.  Butter is good though.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline LauraTO

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2014, 01:02:20 pm »
I think you ladies have given me a good sense of the word "chunder" so thanks so much for that lol. :) what are sangas? Sandwiches?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2014, 01:03:34 pm »
Spot on, you're getting good at this Laura LOL.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2014, 01:14:02 pm »
Spot on, you're getting good at this Laura LOL.

Yes she is Judy. Someone mentioned "Bubble and Squeek  in another thread. Explain that one.

What about "fair suck of the Sav". That is a food item. Dagwood dog anyone.

Gert