Author Topic: Turkey Rolls with sweet and sour sauce - FSA  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
Turkey Rolls with sweet and sour sauce - FSA
« on: March 19, 2014, 03:10:16 am »
This recipe has a whole lot going on and not a lot of it good. I can't see how a can of coke in a sauce is good. Just saying...

Therefore I do not make the sauce.

I have simplified it a bit to suit me and my family. I make this every Christmas as it is great cold. Slices beautifully and it freezes well. (So I make about 6-8, cook them all and freeze any leftover ones)

I use chicken breasts (as many as you like) and cut them in half almost all the way through so they are 'butterflied'. If they need to be a bit more even I bash them a bit with a mallet.

Lay out about 3 rashers of normal bacon per breast, rinds removed. The amount of bacon will vary as to how big your breasts... err....chicken breasts are. :o
Lay chicken breast on top, then top with a slice or 2  of nice ham, a slice or 2 of your favourite cheese (I like swiss, use something tasty) and then a line of pitted prunes near to the top where you will start rolling.
Roll up as tight as you can. Then transfer onto a piece of gladwrap and roll up tight again.

Place into Varoma, and cook for 40 minutes, varoma, speed 2.
Check the water in the bowl after about 20 mins. If needed top up with boiling water.

Once the rolls are cooked I let them cool in the wrap as it keeps the moisture in. Into the fridge and the next day I unwrap and slice as needed. Yummy on a platter of cold meats, and good in sandwiches too.

If I freeze them, I wrap them again and freeze whole.

Linked JD
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:39:52 am by judydawn »

txiqueta

Re: Turkey Rolls with sweet and sour sauce - FSA
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 07:38:22 pm »
Hi, Nikkit!

Neither I prepare the sauce.

When I cook this recipe for 40 minutes eventually the breasts become too dry (be patient, I'm a newbie but I promise I'll be acquiring more English foodie vocabulary as I read you all  ;D).

When this happens I have to improvise some kind of sauce (tomato, mayonaise, honey mustard... etc). I never cook them for more than 25-30 minutes, depending on the sice of the rolls.

Cheers!

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
Re: Turkey Rolls with sweet and sour sauce - FSA
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 10:40:10 pm »
Hi txiqueta,

Glad to hear someone else doesn't like the sauce in the book  ;D

Thanks for letting me know how long you cook the rolls for, I''ll reduce my cooking time next time I make them and see how they go.

I found one in my freezer the other day and it was really big, I remember only being able to fit 2 of the rolls into the varoma, so I cooked them for 40 minutes.

And you are doing pretty well with your vocab. If you want to be confused go to the thread about Aussie slang, I can't remember what the thread was called or where it is, but it is pretty funny  ;D