Author Topic: Parsley  (Read 14696 times)

Offline 4getfulelephant

• View Profile
Parsley
« on: April 08, 2013, 08:29:02 pm »
Does anyone have a recipe for parsley paste - or some easy way to preserve the abundance of parsley in my garden for use over winter?  I don't like dried and freezing can be fiddly and messy...  You can buy parsley paste from the grocery store and it keeps for ages - but I'd rather make my own and would be grateful for any tips :)
If you see someone without a smile - give them one of yours   :(  ;)  :)  ;D  :D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Parsley
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 08:52:49 pm »
I'm just making a bit of a stab in the dark here, but would something like the parsley equivalent of mint sauce or mint jelly work?  ... on thinking about it, perhaps both of these would fall more under condiments than flavourings or additions to meal preparation.

Have you tried googling for ideas?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 10:04:10 pm »
Maybe a few ideas from here . .?  Good luck!  :D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=312543  (read whole thread)

http://www.deliaonline.com/news-and-features/christmas-freezing.html  says . .
 Freeze the parsley sauce in a plastic container with tight-fitting lid, allowing enough headspace for expansion. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight. Reheat thoroughly before serving.

Parsley Pesto - freezing
http://www.countryliving.com/recipefinder/parsley-walnut-pesto-3625

. . or main dishes like the chicken, leek and parsley pie which you could freeze . . http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6036/
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:38:07 pm by goldfish »

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 10:26:16 pm »
Maybe you could go by the Coriander Paste recipe in Indian cookbook?
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 06:04:16 am »
Let us know if you have success as there are probably quite a few people in the same boat. Last year I simply picked stalks of it, washed and dried it and put it in a plastic bag.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:23:42 am »
I would make Parsley Pesto.  Will look up Eat You Books for you.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:44:02 am »
I've had a look.  I have 216 pages of recipes that use parsley!!!  I had a look through and most are for sauces to dress dishes.  However these may be of interest.
Pesto made with Parsley and Walnuts.  Pesto made with parsley and Pinenuts.and lemon ;D
Parsley Soup,  Broth, White wine, leeks, nutmeg, Pots, and Parmigian cheese
Caper, anchovy and Parsley Butter.
Tabouli
Hope this is of some help.

I sometimes make a potato soup with parsley and Land cress.

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 10:28:49 am »
This recipe from achookwoman is really lovely:  http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=3027.0

It is a herb paste using parsley and basil, and stores well in the freezer.  Perfect for marinating any meat before cooking - especially fish and chicken before steaming.  Also good to dollop on veggies .......
Karen in Adelaide

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:02:49 am »
Karen,,i had completely forgotten about this one.  thanks for reminding me. ;D

Offline Winn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 01:42:23 pm »
I use parsley for garlic paste, quite a few of my friends like it as well, they like to remind me when they're getting low on the paste.   I wrote the ingredients down, unfortunately I cannot remember from which site or even when, so if anyone recognises it, thankyou for the recipe.

GARLIC PASTE

75g sea salt
75g herbs (40g parsley,25g chives, 10g basil)
300g garlic (yes 300g cloves, peeled)

Process all into a paste, 1 minute at speed 6.

Add to cream cheese (nice on crackers) or butter.  Stews or literally anything. 

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
Winn- this sounds wonderful!! How well does it keep? (Fridge/freezer?). Thanks for posting it! :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 03:18:57 pm »
Winn I hope you don't mind but I've posted another copy in Condiments and Sauces so other people see this wonderful recipe ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Winn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:01:54 pm »
in reply to Goldfish, i keep it in the fridge, it keeps for simply ages, (weeks & weeks) I think the amount of salt preserves it.  When I first used it with cream cheese, I only added up to half a teaspoon to a half packet of cream cheese to try.  Add as little or as much to suit your taste. It's really moreish!!! Heaped teaspoon to stews etc.  Thanks CC, for adding to Condiments & Sauces section as well.

Offline 4getfulelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 08:08:37 pm »
EVERYONE... THANKS for your replies!  I am really wanting to preserve parsley I guess.  For example - when a recipe calls for 1 cup of parsley, I can use my parsley paste instead.  I don't have the Indian Cookbook (maybe I should... my husband isn't a great fan of Indian...).  Both the garlic paste and the herb paste look DELISH and I will definitely try those!  Will also google 'parsley paste' and see what I come up with...
If you see someone without a smile - give them one of yours   :(  ;)  :)  ;D  :D

Offline 4getfulelephant

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:17 pm »
Do you think it would work if I just minced the fresh parsley and added enough olive oil to bind it into a paste?  How long should it keep in the fridge like that, and how much would you use as an alternative to fresh parsley?  i.e. 3 Tsp parsley paste instead of 1 C fresh parsley?  Thanks for any suggestions... :)