Author Topic: Matzoh ball soup  (Read 10030 times)

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
Matzoh ball soup
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:13:05 pm »
I enjoyed this at a great Jewish deli in NYC and wondering if anyone has a good recipe for it. I have sourced matzoh ball mix, and am keen to give it a try, but worried about being disappointed by the result

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Matzoh ball soup
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:09:26 am »
haven't tried in the TMX.  Worth trying just a small amount of the mix first and see?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Bonsai

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 07:43:44 am »
Hi Pinkscrapbooker

I've never made matzo ball soup, but Claudia Roden's "The Book of Jewish Food" gives two recipes for the balls:

a) 'traditional one' - beat 1 egg, add 1 heaped tablespoon melted chicken fat, 2 tablespoons of warm water, salt to taste and 75g of matzo meal - she describes then as 'heavy and stodgy'
b) 2 eggs, separated, 75g matzo meal, salt - beat eggwhites until stiff, fold in lightly beaten yolks and then matzo meal and salt until combined. chill, covered for 30 mins then roll into 2cm balls. She describes the balls as 'light and fluffy'

Either type is cooked in a large pot of boiling water - simmer balls for about 20 mins. She warns against cooking them in the soup as they absorb a lot of liquid and the soup ends up very gluggy (not her exact word  ;)

I think it would be better to make a soup in the TMX and cook matzo balls separately then combine before serving. Chicken soup is the most traditional one but I think you could do it with whatever soup you like!

Let us know how it goes!

stacelee

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:36:35 am »
From the Jewish Mama's Cookbook - Knaidlach or Matzo Balls
"Although these soft jewish dumplings add texture and flavour to any soup, they may be most 'at home' in chicken soup.  Knaidlach are light, fluffy dumplings made from fine ground matzo meal.  Matzo balls are somewhat heavier and they are made from medium-ground matzo meal.  A scarcity of either type of dumpling can cause family disputes, so always make sure that each person is served an equal number of these favourites and have extras on hand for seconds.  Serve these in soup, along with a bit of challah as a first course or as a great light lunch."
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Makes: about 30 small dumplings
250g matzo meal
2 tbs ground almonds
2 tbs chicken fat or vegetable oil
1 large egg
Kosher salt (or cooking salt)
Freshly ground black pepper
475ml simmering soup

1. In a medium bowl, mix together all the ingredients.  Leave to chill for 30 minutes
2. With wet hands, shape the mixture into small balls.  Leave to chill covered, or use immediately
3. Gently drop the dumplings into the simmering soup and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.  If they have been frozen first, allow them to thaw for 15 minutes before using.

Hope that is what you are looking for.  It is from my favourite cookbook which has quite a few recipes I remember my grandmother making.  It has the Ultimate chicken soup recipe in it and a chopped chicken liver recipe which I make in Tom very easily.  Let me know if you want me to post either of them.

Take care
Stacey

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:44:43 pm »
"Knaidlach are light, fluffy dumplings made from fine ground matzo meal.  Matzo balls are somewhat heavier and they are made from medium-ground matzo meal."
Well, this is a new one on me. It has always been my understanding that "matzoh balls" was English for the Yiddish "knaidlach" (the plural of "knaidle"). Regardless and FWIW, even though I don't make my own (and haven't added knaidlech to chicken soup since 1987), many, including my former mother-in-law, swear by substituting seltzer for water in their recipes (I've never known a home cook who uses only eggs) and leaving the pot covered rather than uncovered while they cook. Also (and this also no longer applies to me), "shmaltz" (rendered chicken fat) is the traditional and most delicious fat. It should be included in the recipe proper and absorbed from the soup itself while they simmer.
I've never understood the appeal of extremely fluffy knaidlech; I prefer that they give the spoon a bit of resistance. You need to strike a happy medium. And I've never in my almost 56 years heard of anyone using almonds (or any other kind of nut, for that matter): matzoh meal, eggs, water, shmaltz, salt. Are you sure Mama's Jewish?  ;) Also, they need room to move around, so a pot that has both decent depth and diameter is a must.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:53:16 pm by MacGuffin »
Karen in NYC

Bonsai

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 02:59:11 pm »
Claudia Roden's book uses the terms matzo balls and knaidlach to mean the same thing - I suppose the texture of the dumplings is partly personal preference. They are similar to the dumplings my (non jewish) grandma and mum put in stews - made from self-raising flour, butter (possibly, been a while since I've made them), herbs and maybe milk to bind it together, then simmered on the top of the stew.

I suppose we are trying to avoid anything with a texture of a golf ball!

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 04:27:08 pm »
...or a minie ball! They shouldn't be suitable for non-edible functions!
Your source is correct and actually "knaidle" means "dumpling" in Yiddish, so it's not surprising that they're reminiscent of your grandma's dumplings. What differentiates matzoh balls is the use of matzoh rather than plain ol' flour for the base. It's a Passover dish that caught on for year-round enjoyment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:29:05 pm by MacGuffin »
Karen in NYC

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:41:46 am »
I have never heard of almonds in Matzo Ball soup either. I have used both  duck fat and chicken fat.  I have also used both still and Soda/Seltzer water.  Soda water is better I say.

Haven't made this in years but may have to now just so I can remember the flavours.

Gretchen
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline MacGuffin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 08:59:12 pm »
Oh, you should! The weather here is giving indication of cooler days to come and this is starting to sound like it would hit the spot.
Karen in NYC

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 12:17:28 pm »
Thanks everyone, some good stuff to try here! The mix I have already has the fat etc added I think, just add water. Can almost taste them now...

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 11:12:16 pm »
Well I hope you are not disappointed in your Matzo Ball Soup. From my experience it is never as good as in a NY Deli no matter how hard I try. LOL! ;D

Gretchen

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline pinkscrapbooker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2010, 01:32:06 am »
Well I finally plucked up the courage to try this. Used the chicken stock recipe from the EDC and then mixed the stock with some vege stock concentrate, added angel hair pasta noodles, and floated my matzoh balls. I followed the instructions on the box and cooked then in my stock pot on the stove. All ip I was really happy with the result, but I couldn't get my soup to go deliciously yellow and clear. The matzoh balls were a big hit with the visiting children and friend, so will definitely keep going with this recipe. I will also do the balls in the TM next time, now I know hoe easy they are. Thanks everyone for your suggestions

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2010, 01:42:22 am »
For yellow you do need to use chicken fat! Or you could try a corn fed chicken. There is nothing like starting with a chicken you know.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Gretchen

Offline debetha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 11:57:41 am »
For extra yellow colour I know people who add a whole toamato or some pumpkin to the soup when cooking ( and remove before serving). Not sure I will ever make this in the thermomix, I tend to do huge saucepan full on the stove. Need to use chicken. Plus must have celery in in.
Will def give the matzo balls a go, as the bought ones are full of MSG. My mother in law reckons using egg whites beaten up first makes them fluffier.
Soup weather in melbourne atm even though it is meant to be nearly summer!
deb

loving my tmx!