Author Topic: Pumpkin and corn roll  (Read 4581 times)

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
Pumpkin and corn roll
« on: June 17, 2011, 04:20:56 am »
I got this recipe from a recent women's weekly publication called "easy baking". It didn't take much to adapt it to the thermomix but I have altered with the amounts of some of the ingredients because I found their mix didn't completely fill the pipe tin.  I like this recipe because it contains veggies and wholemeal flour but still has a sweet cake like taste that make it palatable to kids  ;). Its also visually interesting when cooked in the pipe tin.

Ingredients:
100g softened butter
80g firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
125g creamed corn
125g cold mashed pumpkin
200g wholemeal SR flour
2 tbspn milk

Method:
1. Prepare your pipe tin (8cm diameter x 20cm long) by putting on the base lid and then melting approx 30-50g butter and pouring it inside the tin. Add the top lid and then roll the butter around to liberally coat the inside of the tin.
2. Rearrange your oven shelves so that the pipe tin will be able to stand upright in the oven, and then preheat the oven to 170deg Celsius
3. Cream the butter and sugar in the  *: at Sp4(ish) for a few  minutes. I stop frequently to scrape down the sides of the bowl. But even then it wont cream up like you are used to in a regular mixer (but the cake still works out fine).
4. With the machine still running at Sp4 add the egg through the lid and mix for approx 10 seconds. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix for 30sec at Sp4.
5.Spoon the mixture into the tin, tap tin firmly to on the bench to remove air bubbles. Add the top lid.
6. Bake the roll UPRIGHT in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven, stand for 5 minutes and then remove lids and slide out of the tin and onto a wire rack to cool.

NOTES:
*If you dont have a pipe tin use a regular loaf tin and cover it with pleated alfoil to mimic the cook environment of the pipe tin. I made it this way the first time, so make sure I like the recipe before I invested in a pipe tin. I bought my pipe tin at Kitchen Warehouse for $12.
*I made up a batch mashed pumpkin in the TM and then froze portions of mashed pumpkin/corn mix (125g of each).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:24:02 am by Millipede »

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Pumpkin and corn roll
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:00:58 am »
This looks lovely Millipede. I actually call the tin you use a nut roll tin-I guess that is an old fashioned name. We used to make nut rolls in them often with lots of dried fruit.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 12:34:24 pm »
I have been contemplating buying one of these tins. They make for an interesting shaped cake. And I like the look of the Pumpkin and corn roll. How did you find the flavour??
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 01:28:03 pm »
Would you spread butter on it to serve?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:03:27 am »
The flavour is sweet and cakeish- but its a bit heavier than a proper cake. You could get away with putting a slice or two in a lunch box instead of a sandwhich- but equally it works as a pieceof cake for morning tea.

Yes I spread it with butter. A warm piece fresh out of the over with butter...mmmmmmmm.  ;D