Author Topic: Varoma chilli chicken dumplings with dipping sauces  (Read 33194 times)

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
Varoma chilli chicken dumplings with dipping sauces
« on: January 25, 2009, 06:44:36 am »
Dumpling dough.
300g SR flour
100 ml of hot water
3 tbsp oil
Cold water, extra

Add all ingredients to the TM bowl, turn dial to close lid position  and knead for 2 min on interval speed.
After 1 min of kneading, check dough. If it is not coming together to form a ball, add 1 tablespoon of water. Carefully continue to add water until dough forms a ball. If too much water is added  and dough becomes sticky, add an extra sprinkle of flour.
Turn out dough onto a floured surface or a silicon baking mat and roll to 1-2 mm thick. Using an egg ring or large biscuit cutter to cut circles of dough.  If dough is still thick, roll circles flat before filling with meat.

This recipe was converted from “Steam it!”

Tip - no need to wash the bowl before making the meat mixture

Chicken filling
250g chicken breast or thigh meat, roughly chopped
4 spring onions, roughly chopped
45g unsalted peanuts
Small bunch of coriander
1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
Several drops of fish sauce
500ml water

Place chicken, spring onions, peanuts and coriander into TM bowl and turn dial to close lid position.
Pulse several times using the turbo button or until meat mixture is smooth.
Add chili sauce, soy sauce and fish sauce and pulse a further 2 times to combine.
Place teaspoonfuls of mixture onto dumpling circles.  Fold dumpling dough in half to make a pasty shape and press edges with a fork to seal.
Place water into the TM bowl. Lay dumplings in the Varoma and place into position. Steam for 12-15 min on Varoma temp, speed 1.

This recipe has been converted from “Steaming” by Brigid Treloar

Tip; Try adding fresh ginger or garlic to the meat mixture for a different flavour.
For a quick, easy meal simply place spoonfuls of the mince into the Varoma dish and steam. These meatballs are great as a finger food or served with stirfried veggies and rice for a main meal.

Chilli dipping sauce
60 ml rice  wine vinegar
60ml fresh lime juice
2 tsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp water
1 clove garlic
1 small red chili

Chop chili and garlic for 5 sec on speed 7.
Add remaining ingredients and mix on speed 4 for several seconds.

Hoisin and ginger sauce
60 ml hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 cm piece of fresh ginger
1 clove garlic
1 spring onion

Place garlic, ginger and spring onion into bowl and chop for 5 sec on speed 7.
Add remaining ingredients and mix on speed 4 for several seconds.

members' comments

wombleydoo - I didn't have chicken, so I used pork mince. I also used some celery, wombok, ketjap manis and almonds. Still used the shallots and sweet chilli sauce. I couldn't be bothered making a sauce, so just used ketjap manis ( I LOVE that stuff) as a dipping sauce.
They turned out great but next time I might use some ginger and a few other flavoursome things.

cookie - It was the first time I had done anything like that in the Varoma. They were very nice, we simply used sweet chilli sauce as the dipping sauce. We had them with stir fried vegies in the TMX. Great meal and it will be repeated. It is really very nice. Possibly a little time consuming but delicious.

ralo - Thank you so much for this recipe.

I modified it to make it failsafe and have posted it including lots of pics at my blog: http://failsafethermomix.blogspot.com/2009/05/failsafe-varoma-chicken-dumplings.html

My ingredients were:

Dumpling Dough - I needed lots of extra cold water - probably 60 mls

Chicken filling - 1 half chicken breast roughly chopped
3 spring onions, roughly chopped
1 ripe pear, peeled
1/6th purple cabbage, chopped roughly
1 celery stalk
1 T soy sauce

Comments. This meal was a pain to make! I was thinking I wouldn't make it again but everyone loved it so much that I will have to - but its definitely one to make when hubby is around to watch the kids.
The dumpling was a pain - I had to cut out the circles, then roll them again before putting mix on. Next time I might try just dividing dough into balls and then flattening balls - it made no difference if dumplings were perfect circles - in fact ovals were easier.
The other thing is I'm thinking of trying with rice papers?

riv mum - You can use gow gee wrappers if you like, they are in the fridge section near the filo pastry. Don't know if they are failsafe though.

MEP -  I made this using pre-made gyoza wrappers (Japanese dumplings)  from the Asian grocery store and it's much simpler and so cheap that way. In fact, I normally make bulk lot (40 to 60 at a time) of dumplings and wontons and freeze for a quick during the week meal. Very delicious and can highly recommend.

Amy - Well these didn't turn out how I had hoped but I think that's my fault. I must have done something wrong when I made the dough.  It was a bit chewy and "doughy" and sticky. All my dumplings had stuck together and stuck to the varoma. I should have oiled the varoma but I didn't think the dumplings would stick to each other. As I mentioned in a previous post, my dough was very hard to roll so I don't think I got it thin enough. That might be the main problem. To be honest, I don't think I will make this dough again. However, the flavour of the filling was great  I really enjoyed it and I would definitely make it again but maybe just use wonton wrappers.

AB -  I used pork mince.  I too had trouble with the dough, I had to add heaps of flour then another egg it was a pain. I put it through the pasta machine and got it nice and thin in the end it was lovely, but you couldn't stack them as mine stuck too.  The next day I fried them in a little oil to reheat and that made them delicious.

Katiej - I didn't make the dough, as suggested I headed to my Asian supermarket and purchased the wrappers. They had several types to choose from, but no "gyoza" wrappers as recommended by MEP. They did have "jiao zi" dumpling wrappers so I went with these.
I left the peanuts out of the filling as my DH has a nut allergy but I added some ginger and a couple of extra chilli's. I sprayed my Varoma with canola oil so they didn't stick. They turned out beautifully.
I made both the sauces - the hoisin sauce was definitely our favourite. I also made some chicken cold rolls - way too much for two! My DH really loved the meal and thought I'd been slaving away in the kitchen all day! Thanks for the recipe!

Wonder - I made a version of these using 250g chicken mince, 1/2 scallion, 1 glove garlic, small piece of ginger, a little chilli and some ketjap manis. Mixed together and put in purchased gow gee wrappers. A quick afternoon snack which were all gone in about 10 mins.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:42:22 am by judydawn »
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
Re: Varoma chilli chicken dumplings with dipping sauces
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:16:32 am »
These sound great!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline wombleydoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 10:14:33 am »
I just tried these out.. but...

I didn't have chicken, so I used pork mince. I also used some celery, wombok, ketjap manis and almonds. Still used the shallots and sweet chilli sauce. I couldn't be bothered making a sauce, so just used ketjap manis ( I LOVE that stuff) as a dipping sauce.

This was just what I felt like eating tonight! They turned out great, but next time I might use some ginger and a few other flavoursome things.

Thanks for posting the recipe!
Cathy
Living the QLD life with DH and 4 kids.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 12:29:55 am »
Thanks riv mum - another great recipe.  Really appreciate the use of the much underutilized Varoma  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:58:18 am »
A "review" from cookie

Last night we had the Varoma chilli chicken dumplings from this site. It was the first time I had done anything like that in the Varoma. They were very nice, we simply used sweet chilli sauce as the dipping sauce. We had them with stir fried vegies in the TMX. Great meal and it will be repeated.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline ralo

• View Profile
    • Failsafe cooking with the Thermomix
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 05:13:12 am »
Thank you so much for this recipe.

I modified it to make it failsafe and have posted it including lots of pics at my blog: http://failsafethermomix.blogspot.com/2009/05/failsafe-varoma-chicken-dumplings.html

My ingredients were:

Dumpling Dough - I needed lots of extra cold water - probably 60 mls

Chicken filling - 1 half chicken breast roughly chopped
3 spring onions, roughly chopped
1 ripe pear, peeled
1/6th purple cabbage, chopped roughly
1 celery stalk
1 T soy sauce

Comments. This meal was a pain to make! I was thinking I woudn't make it again but everyone loved it so much that I will have to - but its definitely one to make when hubby is around to watch the kids.

The dumpling was a pain - I had to cut out the circles, then roll them again before putting mix on. Next time I might try just dividing dough into balls and then flattening balls - it made no difference if dumplings were perfect circles - in fact ovals were easier.

The other thing is I'm thinking of trying with rice papers?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 05:19:45 am by ralo »
FAILSAFE and Dairy-free cooking is so much easier with a Thermomix!

My blog: failsafethermomix.blogspot.com

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:20:08 pm »
You can use gow gee wrappers if you like, they are in the fridge section near the filo pastry. Dont know if they are failsafe though.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:50:48 pm »
Do you have a pasta roller?  You can put it through that and cut into rectangles.

The wrappers are great -round and square.  May be easier to find in a Chinese or Vietnamese grocers.
Thermomixer in Australia

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Varoma chilli chicken dumplings with dipping sauces
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 06:24:13 am »
I know this is a really old thread but just not wanting to lose it before I can get it printed off plus I'm sure others may like to try it too

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 07:59:53 am »
Thanks. It is really very nice. Possibly a little time consuming but delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:25 am »
Thanks for bump. I want to try this too now ;)

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 08:23:30 pm »
Thanks for bumping. I made this using pre-made gyoza wrappers (Japanese dumplings)  from the Asian grocery store and it's much simpler and so cheap that way. In fact, I normally make bulk lot (40 to 60 at a time) of dumplings and wontons and freeze for a quick during the week meal.

Very deliicious and can highly recommend.
From Perth WA

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2013, 08:03:24 am »
It would certainly make it easier too.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 11:06:54 am »
Yes, much easier Cookie.
From Perth WA

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 11:16:16 pm »
Oh yummy, I'll try these too. Thanks for bumping Suzanne :D