Author Topic: Artisan no-knead bread in 5 mins  (Read 40163 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Artisan no-knead bread in 5 mins
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2010, 05:58:33 pm »
Here you see that I am wearing the timer this morning.  As I took the photo it had counted down to 1 hour 39 minutes of 2 hours.
I am marinating chicken thighs in a marinade that has to be stopped at 2 hours, otherwise the meat gets mushy, and the marinade actually has to be rinsed off.  I am going to pre-cook the chicken in the oven and later today it will go on the barbecue for finishing with a homemade barbecue sauce.  Some of my neighbors and I are getting together to celebrate the Fourth and my contribution is the chicken and a pile of tomatoes and bunches of lettuce from my garden. 

This timer is also a clock, has a strong magnet on the back so it can be stuck on a fridge or other magnetic appliance or ?.
It is small enough that it does not get in the way and if I do need to remove it, it has a pop-apart catch on the short strap so I can retain the neck cord, which reminds me that I am actually timing something. 

I do love gadgets!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 02:09:20 am by andiesenji »
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2010, 06:46:18 am »
Andi,  this is fantastic,  I'm wondering if a person who is so technically challenged could work it.?

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2010, 01:17:55 pm »
Awesome! Can you give us a website where we could order one?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2010, 07:41:53 pm »
I couldn't find any reference to Polder kitchen timers  sold in Australia with a Google search.

However, when I did an eBay Australia search I found  this item, which has most of the same functions  as the Polder I have.  Neat color too.

Since you know something similar is available, you might be able to source it at another store.

The Polder I have is  the  Polder 898-95 Clock, Timer and Stopwatch, Black.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 07:44:11 pm by andiesenji »

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2010, 05:17:32 am »
Thanks Andi, I'll check it out...
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline leaf

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2010, 10:48:51 am »
I just read the recipe and thought I might warn everyone in Oz that the US tablespoon is 15 ml whereas the Australian tablespoon is supposed to be 20 mls.  The shops sell both sizes so it is worth checking what size yours is before using this US recipe.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2010, 05:04:32 pm »
I just read the recipe and thought I might warn everyone in Oz that the US tablespoon is 15 ml whereas the Australian tablespoon is supposed to be 20 mls.  The shops sell both sizes so it is worth checking what size yours is before using this US recipe.

On page 3 of this topic  tonydav has converted the recipe to TMX  weights and measures guidelines.

Offline tonydav

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:09 pm »
What I didn't know until recently is that a US "cup" is different to our "cup".

US cup = 237mLs

as per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_%28unit%29

Having said that, when I changed the measures I didn't notice any difference. I have however started adding bread improver (1gm per 100gms flour) and this has been a plus with a far more open hole structure.

Still the best bread for toast! I miss it if I have to use "normal" bread. I'd make about 3 loaves a week now.

FWIW, my current recipe, all converted (including those cup sizes :)) is:

710 g lukewarm water
add 15 g yeast
add 20 g salt
mix thoroughly with any residue from the last batch, normally use a stick blender for this
add 925 g unbleached flour
add 9 g bread improver
mix together, leave 2 hrs and put in fridge.

BTW: I always make a triple mixture as my loaves are pretty big. I'd get 2 from this mix. I don't use the TMX to mix anymore as for three mixes I need to do it three times - easier with a wooden spoon.

When making, remove from fridge and gently work into a ball shape by pulling the sides down to the bottom for a minute or so. Place on baking paper (if you want put sesame seed on the sheet first). Leave at most 90 mins and if hotter weather leave less. It's important not to let it over rise as otherwise you'll get very little "oven spring".

The cooking is a bit flexible and depends on the size of the loaf. Mine are around 800g-1kg.

I turn my oven to 230 C and when the oven is at about 150 place my enamelled cast iron caserole dish on middle shelf. When at 230 put bread, on baking paper in dish, cover. Cook for 45mins with cover on. Remove cover and keep cooking until fully cooked - around 10-15 mins. Should be a dark brown (not black) colour. Test with skewer (will still be a tiny little bit wet - it never dries out totally) or better use an instant read thermometer.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2010, 02:17:20 am »
I Made the Berry & Lemon Curd Ring mentioned earlier in this thread. http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=641
Used the Brioch recipe in the EDC.  After the dough had risen for an hour I halved it and made 1 Raspberry & Lemon Curd and the other I made using a half quantity of custard from the EDC, 2 granny smith apples chopped a few seconds in the TMX, cinnamon and raw sugar. Both were delicious.

I must have been living in the Twilight Zone because i've completely missed this thread.  ???

VHJ, I love your brioche rings, and I think they look better than on the original website. You've made me want to give these a try.  I recently made the Swedish Sexy Buns of Jamie Olivers that had blueberries in them and didn't like them at all.  Made them two days running in case it was just me, but no they were far tooo dry.  Anyway these look really good, thanks for posting a photo.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2010, 10:12:47 am »
Thanks tonydav - good to see you around
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline bellesy

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2010, 12:45:35 pm »
After making this no-knead bread quite a bit I decided to try Isi's bread rolls (http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=2729.0), and Isi's are much lighter/flufflier than the no-knead bread, which I find a little solid and dense.  The quickness to prepare a loaf is great with the artisan recipe, but Isi's are my favourite!

Offline icor611

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 01:06:51 am »
It's awesome, isn't it!  And so easy. 

Loved your pics, Jo:  sensational!

Here's my daily bread (since devoured with our lunch):

Where is the recipe? Thx, Im new here and new to forums as well. My THMX should be on it's way tonight. Trying to show my wife how easy it is to use. Brian

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 01:24:05 am »
Hi Brian you will nearly always find the recipe on the first page at the top, I had a quick look and there is a link to the recipe for this, didn't check to see if it still works,  our Bread expert is Achookwoman, she has posted some great recipes and hints for baking bread.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 05:48:43 am »
Isi's bread rolls, ( link above) and Chookie's no fuss rolls make great breads Brian. Happy thermomixing.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 11:11:43 am »
Brian, I would definitely start with chookies no fuss bread if you wanted to show off the thermomix.  I do like this artisan bread but you need to leave the dough in the fridge for at least three days before baking for it to develop that sourdough taste.