Author Topic: What was the first thing you ever made in the THX?  (Read 43713 times)

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
Re: What was the first thing you ever made in the THX?
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 08:05:53 am »
Pumpkin Soup!
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 10:43:09 am »
Chocolate Hazelnut custard,

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »
Dulce de leche must have been the first thing I made.  I went back to where I had posted on eGullet to see what I'd written - I'm including my post from there for your entertainment.

"Valuable lesson number 1 - RTFM - if you fail to RTFM you will not have discovered that the maximum capacity of the TM31 is 2 litres. Therefore you will take your standard dulce de leche recipe and break it in half and add 3 litres of milk plus 400 grams of sugar to the bowl. This - in combination with following the directions mentioned above - which has you use varoma heat (>100º C) and speed 5 - will result in a Mount Vesuvius like reaction . Not a good look for my counter. And of course I didn't know which buttons to bang first to turn it off.

But after splitting my remaining rescued batch (ie that which wasn't on the counter or the floor) and cooking for about 90 minutes or so at 100º C gave me a wonderful DDL quite painlessly.

I'm questioning whether I'll be able to use the Thermomix to make chewy caramel. I'm going to have to figure out the size of my batch. It's also going to require finding a way to insert a thermometer into the batch without hitting the blades. "

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 05:18:51 pm »

I'm questioning whether I'll be able to use the Thermomix to make chewy caramel. I'm going to have to figure out the size of my batch. It's also going to require finding a way to insert a thermometer into the batch without hitting the blades. "

I drilled a hole into the flange of my TMX  spatula so I could insert the probe of my Thermapen and the tip of the probe extends almost to the tip of the spatula.   It has worked fine for me and the Thermapen accuracy is better than that of the TMX. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline chocdoc

• View Profile
    • the Chocolate Doctor
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »

I drilled a hole into the flange of my TMX  spatula so I could insert the probe of my Thermapen and the tip of the probe extends almost to the tip of the spatula.   It has worked fine for me and the Thermapen accuracy is better than that of the TMX. 

Brilliant Andi, and elegant in it's simplicity.  Heading to hubbies shop to find a drill.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 11:13:18 pm »
Well done Andi - there's no stopping you. Maybe that's another thing we could add to the list for the new model - the hole already drilled for a thermapen ;) ;)
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Woerd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2010, 11:58:25 pm »
Pastry dough then lemonaid, lemonaid, then more lemonaid.  I have made Hollandaise twice which was not very successful.  The second time was much better than the first though.  If at first you don't succeed......

I have made many things since.  The poor thing never seems to get a rest.  :)

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 12:59:57 am »
Good work Andie - I have tried using a Blue Gizmo to check temps, but with the blades spinning it varies so much and the temp on the dial really relates more to what's on the base - so great idea.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline ThermomixBlogger

• Thermomix blogging fan from Canada.
    • View Profile
    • SuperKitchenMachine is an unofficial fan blog for fun cooking with Thermomix!
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 03:52:23 am »
Love your "Spatula Mod" Andiesenji - thanks for sharing that!  8)

First thing I ever cooked was "stir fry" ... that recipe is part of the Canadian demo my friend Bill experienced. He came back from the demo with a TMX in hand and stopped at my house to show it off. The stir fry made itself while we sat in the garden and he told me all about the demo he'd seen that day....the smell of cooking garlic wafted out the screen door and hit our nostrils just before the timer sounded. I was pretty much hooked from that moment.

So hooked was I, that I insisted he leave the machine at my house so I could properly um... test it out...  ;)  I think I spent more time trying to talk myself OUT of buying one, than I did in deciding to buy it. To no avail -- obviously.

... and, as they say...  the rest is history.

Happy new year everyone!
TMB - Helene
ThermomixBlogger Helene

News, recipes and videos for Thermomix fans
around the world and at home.
Click: http://www.superkitchenmachine.com

Also Kitchen Kits for people who love Thermomix!
http://SuperKitchenKits.com

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2010, 06:28:25 am »
Great work Andiesenji. Thanks for the photo. Now if I need one I can say 'drill the hole like this please'.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Purplehat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2010, 07:51:47 am »
A smoothie was the first thing we made. No recipe books required, but we did RTFM before hand. ;) The first food we made was the stock concentrate so we could make the risotto. I didn't have enough celery (in the garden!) so I just used what we had. Surprisingly it turned out pretty well, but quite yellow because of all the oil - I forgot to reduce that bit considering I had hardly any of the other ingredients, and we don't eat onion or garlic or cooked tomato.  :D I replaced the onion with a bit of spring onion and the smell nearly knocked me for 6. haha. I'm really not use to onion anymore!  :-))

I have made the stock concentrate since and it was much better. Green in colour because of the parsley and made the pumpkin soup really very yummy.

Offline LA Mummy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2010, 01:53:07 pm »
Mashed potato. Of course, old habits die hard and I forgot to weigh/measure so it turned out a bit like smooth potato soup. :) But still yummy and the boys liked it, which was the exciting bit ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 12:22:38 am »
I've learnt with mashed potato to only add liquid in small amounts as I think it needs it during the whipping process.  Most recipes have far too much liquid in them and it is just slop, albeit it tasty slop  :D :D  It depends on the type of potato you use as well as to how much liquid they need so I now apply this method whenever I am mashing potato.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 10:11:05 am »
Andie,    You are just wonderful.    Nothing stops you.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 09:03:23 am »
Pastry dough then lemonaid, lemonaid, then more lemonaid.  I have made Hollandaise twice which was not very successful.  The second time was much better than the first though.  If at first you don't succeed......

I have made many things since.  The poor thing never seems to get a rest.  :)

Off hand (and I'm limited with time so can't go and check for you) but on either the recipes section of www.thermomix.com.au or on www.tenina.com, Tenina has posted an improved Hollandaise recipe.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog