Author Topic: Review- Creamy Tomato & Salami Fettuccine- EDC  (Read 49119 times)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
Re: Review- Creamy Tomato & Salami Fettuccine- EDC
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2011, 02:45:11 am »
My husband made this last night and apart from adding additional salami he made it exactly as per the recipe. I found it a little oily and would probably cut down on the oil and add some chicken stock as well as the cream as I found it a little too rich. Saying that we all devoured our bowls with husband going back for seconds and son enjoying it despite saying he wasn't going to eat it - we did however hide the zucchini when he was in the kitchen and told him the salami was ham!!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2011, 04:59:22 am »
I love this recipe and "doctor" it regularly to include more vegies. Put broccoli in it last time and almost got caught as it was a bit grainy. I often use milk instead of cream or a light evaporated milk and put bacon instead of salami in it. I make sure the bacon is in large enough to see pieces so the boys are attracted to eating it.  ;)
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 05:40:32 am »
I made this with chicken thigh in place of the salami, cut into really small pieces added with the pasta and it was really yummy. One of my customers suggested it. The recipe is so versatile.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2011, 06:09:34 am »
replacing the salami with mushrooms is a great option with this recipe too. This recipe is a standby in our house too  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »
replacing the salami with mushrooms is a great option with this recipe too. This recipe is a standby in our house too  ;)

Agree!  That's our vegetarian version, including some zuchinni.  I only use 120-250g cream and top it up with water and found best to use spaghetti no 3.  We have this once a week as the whole family enjoy it.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2011, 08:06:05 pm »
Made this tonight for the first time for supper, very simple to make,we all enjoyed it.Substituted bacon for the salami.;) Liked all your ideas for different variations and will keep it mind next time I make it. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Millipede

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2011, 07:31:36 am »
I've only made this recipe only once (a few years ago when I first got my TM) and my notes on the recipe page say "Nice but not fab. Too floury because the pasta is stirred. Maybe cook pasta seperate". I didnt think enough of the meal the first time to bother tryingit again with my suggestion.

It always bothers me when members love a recipe that I think is average-awful. Is it just that members tend to post positive reviews and remain silent on the recipes they dont like... or should I begin to doubt my cooking skills  :o :P

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2011, 08:15:33 am »
Maybe try different pasta?  I make this nearly every week, as the whole family love this.  Tried angel hair pasta, fettucini, bigger spaghetti but my fav is with spaghetti no 3. 
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:39 pm »
Interesting, my DH made this and used meat stock concentrate by accident and it tasted way too salty. I think there are lots of variants. I like it with corriander and it completely diffent if you use tinned tomatoes versus fresh.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 05:03:21 am »
At the risk of being a forum hog I have yet another question, sorry !

Does the tomato in this cook down so you cant see it?  doing it tonight and my hubby and kids wont eat it if the tomatoes are still in chunks.  Also this seems like a lot of liquid does it cook down a lot?

thank you
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:05:56 am by auds »

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 05:25:20 am »
If you let it sit for 5 minutes after cooking auds, the pasta will absorb the liquid as you do for risotto.  You can pour it into a thermosaver or just leave it in the TM bowl.  Perhaps cut the tomato into smaller pieces to disguise them.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline auds

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2011, 11:19:50 am »
ok I made this for dinner tonight.  before I started I blitzed the tomatoes into a liquid and then put it into a bowl.

then I started as per the recipe.  Tweaks were I only put about 100g water in as I thought the tomato liquid would help (also read another review that said the sauce was a bit too liquidy)  I also put about 170g salami in as another review again said there wasnt enough in there.

Result - I thought 100g salami would have been fine.  I didnt let it sit but the sauce was very thick.  Next time I think I would use the tomato liquid + 200g water.  I would also maybe put a whole capsicum in it (loved the taste)  I put the lot into a big bowl and stirred through a big bunch of baby spinach before serving yum

Son no 2 didnt like it but he doesnt like salami.  The rest of us thought it was delicious.

I would give this a 4.5/5 and will definately cook again maybe put a bit of chicken in instead of salami for no 2 child
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:21:44 am by auds »

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2011, 11:24:31 am »
Well it didn't sound too bad auds, you learn as you go - just remember to make notes in the recipe book too.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2012, 04:45:26 am »
I had never considered making this before, just didn't sound like my cup of tea. However there were so many glowing reviews that I just had to try it, and I'm so glad I did. This was delicious, and so easy. Unfortunately the kids didn't love it, but I told them too bad because we'll be having it again!
It just shows that reviews are important as people like me depend on them to decide what to cook, so thank you to all those who take the time to post reviews!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:21 am »
Would you believe I still haven't made this, even after all the great reviews. I do make a similar one though using salami, pasta, bocconcini, tomatoes and spinach. Will do this one one day. :P
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/