Author Topic: No Knead, Sour Dough Oat bread  (Read 22299 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Re: No Knead, Sour Dough Oat bread
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 02:15:57 pm »
Chookie I'm in England.   We don't use cups as measures here which is what causes all the confusion.

Anyhow, I kind of winged it and it looks really professional.   It is atiny  bit dense in texture and it could be that I didn't cook it for long enough (I have an AGA and it is always a bit of guesswork as to how long to cook things for) but it's got the sour taste which I love. 

Next time I think I will use a different container and maybe all white flour just to try something different. 

Thanks so much Chookie for this great recipe - I have gained loads of confidence in sour dough bread making and I'm going to keep going until I can perfect the technique.
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 03:32:44 pm »
Looks good Katya - how was the flavour?

Just a question on how you look after your starter while it's growing. Do you cover it with cloth or loosely cover with plastic?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 03:43:53 pm »
The flavour was great.  I think the denseness was due to there being wholemeal flour in the recipe.  I've only ever had white sour dough before.

I keep my starter in a plastic box with lid in the fridge.  I then take it out, feed it and separate it into 2.  Half is put back in the fridge and the rest I just leave out on the work surface uncovered.... maybe I should have covered it but it worked fine this way.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 06:34:16 pm »
A great looking loaf of bread Katya.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 06:55:33 pm »
Thanks CC  :)

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 04:06:35 am »
Noice!!  :)

I have to admit I still haven't tried this recipe as I don't use packaged bread mixes at all... too many extras in them for my food sensitive kids.... :-\

Might need to improvise with my current recipe though...
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 05:57:02 am »
Katya,  the oat loaf is dense,  and you are correct in thinking that it is the wholemeal flour and the oats.  The white loaf that I have put on the forum is more like what you are after.  You don't have to use "mix" just white bakers flour and add 1 teaspoon of salt and the same of sugar.   Also the covering of the loaf or cooking in a covered container (I use a French cast iron casserole dish ) makes for a lighter loaf.  Every thing else you are doing is fine.   I would love an Aga,  you lucky ducky!!!!  The loaf looks terrific,  congratulations.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 09:56:31 am »
Ceejay - I didn't use a mix, I just used flour and added 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar and it was fine.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 04:04:23 am »
Good work Katya - looks great.   :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 08:07:16 am »
 :-[ My starter just refuses to start! It's been on the bench for over a week now, fed every day and it still smells like flour and has no bubbles....

I'm guessing it's just too cold, though we have the aircon going pretty much all day and night. I'm going to try the sourdough starter from Basic Ingredients
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 08:18:03 am »
What sort of flour did you use?  I used unbleached stoneground and spring water & it started within 2 days.  I made a second batch later and put it in the fridge after 24 hours and it still bubbled away after 4 or 5 days - so don't think it would be too cold.

Unbleached flour in Australia seems to have enough yeast without having to add sultanas etc to start it.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.