Author Topic: No Knead, Sour Dough Oat bread  (Read 22414 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
No Knead, Sour Dough Oat bread
« on: December 19, 2009, 04:55:24 am »
Nothing could be easier than this recipe.   You mix in T.M at about 4pm. one day and form it to cook at 10 am the next morning.   It will need to double on the second rise,  so should be ready for lunch.    Because it is 18 hours ( mostly overnight) a good flavour develops.

90g. oats
90g whole wheat flour premix ( I use Lauke)
300g white bread flour premix ( I use Lauke)
1 cup of starter ( about the consistency of thick pancake batter)
1 cup of water, warm
AT 4pm...........
Weigh above ingredients into T.M bowl  Mix 5 seconds on speed 7.
Knead 1min 30 seconds on interval speed.
The mix should be a bit sticky,  if not add another Tablespoon of water and mix at interval for 15 seconds.
Oil a large bowl and pat mix into a round shape and place in bowl.
Spray with water and cover with plastic,a shower cap, glad wrap,or into a plastic shopping bag tied so that it is fairly air tight.
Dont worry if nothing seems to have happened by the time you go to bed  .Just leave it in a warm place.
NEXT MORNING.........
It should have nearly doubled,  by about 10 am. tip it onto your bench and form it into  whatever shape you wish.
Leave on the bench while you prepare tin, Pyrex cooking dish, cast iron pot . or what ever you choose.
Oil tin, coat generously with rolled oats, bottom and sides.
Place dough into tin with any folded seams underneath.   Spray with water, sprinkle with oats, spray again (this helps the oats stick)
Cover with plastic, place in warm place to double.    Should take about an hour to 1 1/2.   If it is cold and the dough is slow to double,  fill the sink with boiling water and place a rack over the water , place the bread on the rack and cover the lot with a table cloth.  or put it in the car which is in the sun, or in the over set at 50 or in the bed with the electric blanket on.

Heat oven to 220
Make a "tent" with foil allowing for a little more "bounce"(growth) in the oven.
Make 1cm. slashes across the top, spray again with water.
Place in center of oven.cook for 30 mins with "lid" on , remove lid and cook for 20 mins. more. Take out of tin turn upside down and bake for a further 10 mins.
Resist cutting, if you can, for 1 hour.

This is a basic loaf that can be adapted in many ways,  but is best to start out simple and get the feel of the bread.
The texture is good fresh but also very good toasted.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: No Knead, Sour Dough Oat bread
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 06:05:02 am »
Thanks Chookie - great work.  Very good indeed.  ...and for those starting out - note how little starter is needed. 

... added this from Chookie's blog
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 10:55:36 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 07:30:11 am »
One question I have been asked is - how do we get the starter?  Is that posted anywhere please?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:38:59 am »
JD  .you can grow your own or I can send you some.   I have dried some as an experiment.   Will test and if O.k could post it to you with instructions.    I made a mistake with the 5 day bread.  I have posted the correction.  Is it possible to correct the original?
It is quite fun to grow your own,   Just mix some bakers flour with rain water or filtered water,  put it out side for a day or 2 ,covered with a chux or similar.   The aim is to capture the wild yeast in the air.  The mix should be fairly sloppy.    After 3 or 4 days it should start to bubble and smell like yeast. If it smells off... throw it out.Let me know what you would like to do. ::

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:48:53 am »
It was Trudy who was asking me if the recipe had been posted.  I guess we can try to make our own with your instructions but exactly how much flour do you start off with. I take it the weather doesn't affect this starter sitting outside for 2 days - what if it is stinking hot ??? ??? I pm'd you on how to correct your own posting, did you understand it?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 12:15:41 pm »
Thanks again for bailing me out, JD.   To make the starter mix 1/2 cup flour with 1 cup of water.    Put it in a sheltered place.  It is rather good fun making a starter as it is truly a part of your environment.   I call mine the' Cherokee Bug ' as I grew it where we live.  All the cultures have a slightly different flavor.   Mine is similar to the San Francisco culture which is a famous sour dough flavor.  It is fairly mild in flavor, unlike some of the European cultures.   It was just luck that I "caught" a good bug.   If you catch a good bug, and you are happy with the smell, you start to feed it like you would a ginger beer plant.   A little flour and water each day for about a week .  Some people put a couple of raisins in to start as these have a natural yeast on them.   I would only use organic ones.
I will try and reconstitute the dried culture tonight and will know by the morning if it works.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 01:05:34 pm »
Thank-you so much for this info.  I will certainly have a go. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 01:30:48 pm »
Me teaching you the odd thing for the computer and this forum Chookwoman is going to be an easier job than you teaching me how to make sour dough bread  ;D ;D ;D  You are a very fast learner. When you say you add a little flour and water each day to the starter, exactly how much is 'a little'?

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 11:42:21 pm »
Me teaching you the odd thing for the computer and this forum Chookwoman is going to be an easier job than you teaching me how to make sour dough bread  ;D ;D ;D  You are a very fast learner. When you say you add a little flour and water each day to the starter, exactly how much is 'a little'?
      About a dessertspoon .     I tried to revive the dried  culture last night but it didn't work.    I must have killed the yeast in drying at too high a temp.     Looks like you will have to grow your own or if you have a  sour dough baker near you  ask if you could buy a small amount of their culture.  If any one is coming this way I would happily give them some ( and a bread making lesson )

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 12:04:36 am »
Thanks for that Chookie, have the recipe all ready to go now and will try it after Christmas/New Year.  Hopefully someone else will have a go before then though.  Sadly, I live too far away to pop in - if I lived closer I'd be popping in quite often  ;D ;D ;D
Bad luck about your dried culture not working but 10/10 for trying  :-* :-*

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 05:19:14 am »
Thanks for that Chookie, have the recipe all ready to go now and will try it after Christmas/New Year.  Hopefully someone else will have a go before then though.  Sadly, I live too far away to pop in - if I lived closer I'd be popping in quite often  ;D ;D ;D
Bad luck about your dried culture not working but 10/10 for trying  :-* :-*
        And you would be more than welcome. :)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 08:54:49 am »
Watch out Chookie, we'll all be "dropping in".  I'm going to give the sourdough a try too. I have done it before but the recipe I used added a cup of flour each day and I ended up with this massive starter and no one to share with. It had a strong flavour which DD and I liked but DH didn't. So it will be interesting to see what happens this time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 11:02:01 am »
Go for it cookie, its such good fun.    If you end up with too much starter make the 5 day bread which uses 2 cups.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 12:36:11 am »

Here is another starter for you Judy. I use if this one to make ciabatta breadand other sour dough breads.

1 Tsp dry yeast
250 mls warm water
350 gms flour

Add yeast to water and stir gently for a couple of minutes then add the flour. Stir to combine. Cover and leave at room temp for at least 12 hours. Easy peasy. Works fine here is Cairns whatever the temp. Of course it is always warm here.

Gretchen

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 12:46:20 am »
Dried sourdough starters can be bought at various online stores both here in Oz and in the US if growing your own seems scary.  I tried to grow my own from wild yeast some years ago, but eventually gave up and bought some.
Here is an Australian site -
http://www.basicingredients.com.au/GLP_SourDo2.html?gclid=CLTEsJ2X5p4CFcQvpAodRV_sIQ
and a US one (which has the San Francisco starter)
http://www.northwestsourdough.com/newsite/store.html
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com