Author Topic: Etiquette and how to switch counsultants  (Read 10486 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Etiquette and how to switch counsultants
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 12:42:10 pm »
Start even with making some SR flour and then do a batch of baking powder. Easy. Then make a cake. Cooking is always baby steps, and then when you get the hang, you will still never stop learning. Everyone from the forum has something to offer another member, and we love to share our love of cooking.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »
Hope you're a bit more relaxed with your TMX now.  I agree, try CreamPuff63's recipe suggestion.  It might look a little daunting as it is in a couple of different 'parts' because it uses your machine to the fullest extent, but it is such an easy recipe to make and you end up with a superb and really really tasty meal treat at the end of it all. 

I was also a little frustrated with consultant back up, but then I found this forum and it really is the biggest help I have had.

Best advice is to just have a go.  You will find that it's not common to completely ruin the food - there is usually something you can do to adapt it at the end and turn it into a success (... or at least something edible).

I am a very 'literal' and unimaginative cook, but one of the major things I have learned from joining the forum is, through the help, advice and suggestions of this forum family you don't HAVE to follow a recipe slavishly, you can change ingredients if you want and no one is looking over your shoulder scolding you for not following the original exactly - you will find everything much more fun and end up with dishes that suit you and your family perfectly.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 02:32:13 am »
I made the Chicken and Cashews with Coconut Satay Sauce and Coconut Rice last night but changed it to almonds instead. It was delicious. I think I added way to many vegies to the Varoma tray though as they took a while and it was over flowing.

I am trying to find a cob loaf spinach dip today that doesn't use frozen spinach. I made poached eggs yesterday and they were delicious. Have done 3 x bread (loaf, cob loaf and buns) today. And there is still the dip and some muffins to make yet.

I guess it is all about baby steps and taking it slowly to gain confidence.

I will have to look for more one [pot recipes as they are awesome and make the TMX very much worth it.

I think I've been avoiding EDC recipes as I wasn't having much success with them and when I came on here I saw a few were not quite right and another consultant had said similar bout some of the EDC recipes.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Zan

• View Profile
    • My Thermomix Blog
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 03:46:24 am »
Chrissy with any of the cook book recipes I just do a quick search on here to see if there are any tweaks posted (or if everyone hates it, lol). I think most work but a couple of some odd quantities, but mostly the tweaks just make them yummier.
But I'm a real cookbook fan so love looking through them.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 05:31:12 am »
Hi Chrissy, glad you liked my chicken & cashews recipe - it's a great one to play with, there's so many possible variations. I often do one-pot meals - mashed potatoes with veges & meat steaming on top (1 kg potatoes, 200g water, 200g milk, Varoma temp, 20 mins); spaghetti & meatballs (pasta sauce with meatballs steaming on top, add raw spaghetti to bowl towards end), soup/stew with rolls steaming on top... there's so much you can do.  Here's a couple more of my one-pot recipes - the sausage one bakes in the oven, so I spose it's not really one pot, but it's easy and makes heaps!

Meatball, Bean & Vege Soup
Sausage Casserole with Dumplings
Thermomix Fried Rice

Just practice a lot, and don't be afraid to experiment! I didn't have a consultant for the first five years of having a Thermomix, and I didn't know anyone else with a Thermomix, and there were no websites, and just two basic books (a small thin 'basics' one, and another basic one)... so I just played with the basic recipes for a while, changing them to suit our family, then started converting family favourites, and now I invent new ones every week - it's so much fun!  I do think it's good to have a consultant you can ring and get help from, I wish I'd had one, but with all the help here and other places on the internet (like superkitchenmachine.com), it is much easier than it used to be! 

Here's another page on my blog that you may find helpful too: Converting Recipes for the Thermomix. That may give you some ideas.  But definitely find a consultant nearby who is available for you, and have some demos and go to some cooking classes, and you'll get confident very quickly!  :)
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 05:56:56 am »
Thanks you so much Quikycooking. I will add those to next months meal plan.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 06:40:50 am »
You sound as if you are going along OK now Chrissy.  You can cook your own spinach (use the varoma bowl to steam it in), squeeze out the liquid and weigh it to equal what the recipe calls for in the frozen variety.  I grow my own so never buy frozen these days.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 08:45:20 am »
Thanks Judy. Will make it tomorrow. Can't wait it has to be one of my favorite party foods.