Author Topic: Recipes to use up Sausages  (Read 11066 times)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
Recipes to use up Sausages
« on: October 16, 2011, 01:58:21 am »
Does anyone have any recipes that use sausages? I seem to have a glut of them and don't want to revert to boring old fried sausages and vegetables. I currently make the bangers and mash, sausage casserole with dumplings and curried sausages. I'm looking for some more recipes or perhaps recipes where the meat could be subsituted for sausages. Thanks.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipes to use up Sausages
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 02:12:28 am »
Moroccan sausage recipe is nice Twitterpated.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 02:18:31 am »
Here are a couple from my blog - Sausage and Lentil Hotpot and Italian Sausage Gratin. :)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 02:31:38 am »
Thanks ladies. This will help to rid the freezer of the lurking sausages. Knew my forum friends would come to the rescue.

ElsieD

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:36:04 am »
I have a great recipe for a sausage (hot Italian although you could use milder Italian) pasta.  I interested, let me know.  It is not a TMX recipe.  It is a creamy sausage pasta sauce.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 02:40:51 am »
A wonderful recipe that can be found in southern Germany and in France is made with sausage and apples.  The combination of the herby sausage and the sweet/tart apples is wonderful, no matter what recipe you use.

I first had this when I lived for a couple of years in Wisconsin in a village that was composed mostly of people of German descent - emigrated before 1900.  My stepfather was German and his sister taught both my mother and I how to cook many of the more traditional dishes.
I don't really use a recipe but there are several online.

This is one.
which should give you a good idea of how to do it.

And here's another.  

There are many variations.  Sometimes cranberries are added to give a bit more tartness and slightly different flavor.  Sometimes a combination of different sausages (different "flavors") are used.  

There are also stratas - baked, layered "omelets" - sort of like bread pudding but with less bread and more meat and veg.  
I make one with cubed French bread,  sausage (precooked and cut into bite-size pieces) layered with artichoke hearts and grated cheese, then the whole thing covered with beaten eggs with a little cream and baked.  You do not need a lot of seasoning because it is already in the sausage.

I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 06:55:45 am »
Thanks andiesenji. They look really different and can't imagine what they will be like. I have a friend who is an avid sausage maker and have lots of different flavoured sausages. I going to try this recipe with a few different flavours to see how they go. Thanks for taking the time to post. Loved the sound of the stratas too so going to have a go at them. I'll just have to space them out so we don't get sick of sausages.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 10:42:39 pm »
Here are a couple from my blog - Sausage and Lentil Hotpot and Italian Sausage Gratin. :)
Made the Italian Sausage Gratin for dinner one night this week (I never find time on week nights to post reviews) and cooked in individual pots for each. Not a big fan of sausages (had food poisoning from them once) so wasn't sure if I would like this. I used turkish bread in the bottom - I was worried that bread would just turn out soggy - but this was beautiful. The whole family loved it so it has gone on to "to cook again" list. Each meal at our house is discussed and given a rating to determine if we will have it again. You will be pleased to know that this one scored 5/5. Thanks for posting the link.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 02:41:34 am »
That's great. Am glad you liked it.  :)

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 07:26:42 am »
I made Chelsea's Sausage and Lentil Hotpot last night and the family all commented on how much they liked it. Thanks for the link Chelsea.  :D

Moroccan sausage recipe is nice Twitterpated.

BTW JD I forgot to post last week when we had the Moroccan Sausages that they were also a hit. Bit of a scramble between DH and DS for seconds. Will be cooking both recipes again.  ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 10:51:31 am »
Good to hear all the recipes you've done have been a hit with the family Twitterpated.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »
OK this will probly sound very boring, but I make a batch of mashed pototo in TM, cook sausages (in frypan - oven - or varoma, whatever suits) slice sausages down the center (longways) but not all the way through, fill with mash, put tomato, bacon, cheese, pizza topper - whatever suits again - on top, and freeze like that - a quick easy freezer meal. The kids call it "sausage pizza" DH calls it "sausage thingies for my lunch at work please ...!!" I just think "stuffed/filled sausages"  (...oh or you can just heat them and eat straight away, they don't have to be frozen.)
:D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:47 pm »
What a great idea astarra, good idea for left over BBQ sausages.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 07:30:39 am »
Great idea astarra. I will definitely be trying this. Still working my way through the dreaded sausuage cache. Having them once a week but it's getting a bit much for me. These will be great for that "everyone gets their own dinner" nights when we usually pick a frozen leftover meal and heat it in the microwave.

Offline Rogizoja

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 10:47:39 am »
For something a bit different, skin the suasages and use the meat to line a deep pie dish. Then layer in par-boiled, sliced potatoes, whatever veggies you have to hand (e.g. brocolli, mushrooms, browned onions, courgettes etc) and pour over a seasoned mix of eggs, milk/cream. Grate a bit of cheese over the top and bake in the oven at 170C for about 30mins or until the eggs are cooked through.

And there you have your "all-in-one" meal - meat, spuds and veggies in one dish.

This is not a TMX recipe but deeeelicious nevertheless. Enjoy.
If music be the food of love, play a tune on your Thermomix for your loved ones.