Author Topic: Fruit Loaf - with photos  (Read 77098 times)

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Fruit Loaf - with photos
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 09:18:09 am »
thermie, thankyou for posting back on your success.  I think I'll have to re-visit this recipe myself.  :D

Offline dingdonny

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 11:33:57 am »
JulieO
Wow this looks fantastic. I am impressed with your skill. Can't wait to try it.
Don

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 01:17:27 pm »
Thankyou Don, I hope you enjoy it.  :)

Offline dingdonny

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 09:22:19 am »
Hey Julio: I made youir bread with 300gm of fruit .It turned out looking and eating really well.
I chopped the fruit and wish I had left it in larger pieces as it seems to be cut into very small bits during the initial process.
I would be inclined to add some walnuts next time and even more than 300 gm fruit.
On the whole though it is great and the loaf looks very profeessional.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Donny

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 11:11:44 am »
You're quite welcome dingdonny, it's good to alter it to your likes.  Thanks for reviewing.  :D

Offline lauraj

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 09:43:36 am »
I made this bread today and it was delicious. I used a big loaf tin and it cooked in about 35 min at 200 fan forced but the top was pretty much black. The rest of the bread was perfect. Great texture and taste and cooked all the way through etc, so light and fluffy. So why did the top burn and how can I fix it next time? I'm assuming it was the sugar in the brush that made it burn but you've all assumedly done the same thing? Should I bake it at 180 next time or should I try putting foil over it once it's risen to max height? It's a massive loaf of bread so was thinking doing a smaller tin next time and using the rest for rolls or something like that. But would love suggestions or hints about the burnt top. Also just so you know, I used 300g fruit (sultanas and chopped dried apricots) as well as 460g water and it seemed perfect. I want to perfect the recipe before I start experimenting with more expensive fruit like dried figs, cranberries etc.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 10:47:26 am »
JulieO made this comment on this thread 'If you are finding that the outside is turning too brown before the inside is cooked, maybe bake on a slightly lower temp for longer.' or suggests baking it in 2 tins. Maybe you could put it on a lower rack in the oven and keep an eye on it, cover it with alfoil if it appears to be browning too quickly.  Others will comment I'm sure lauraj.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 12:55:16 pm »
laura, glad you like the fruit loaf.  Haven't made it for a while, but I remember it being quite a high loaf?  Could you bake it on a shelf lower in your oven, or try what Judy copied in her post.  I love fruit loaf, you've made me want to make it again.  :D

Offline dingdonny

• View Profile
Fruit loaf
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2011, 07:34:25 am »
Hi
We have a favourite coffee shop that serves a great thickly fruited bread toasted and I was wondering how to do this.
I had an idea in middle of the night for improving on my previous attempts at fruit bread making.I now use the five seed bread recipe and exchange seeds for fruit. I add about 60 gms (even a little more)each of dried apricots, sultanas, figs, raisens mixed peel and also add a generous amount of broken walnuts. The first lot I made we decided I could leave the pieces of apricots and figs in a larger size , about a third of an apricot size. At first I was worried it wouldn't rise but it does with all that weight and it is absolutely super.We slice it thickly and freeze it and it is great to take out a piece to toast for lunch or a snack. The bread is a lovely consistancy, light and so good and healthy.
I really recommend you try this ladies and guys.
By the way does anyone else play the ukulele?Leigh (my wife) and I have joined a local Ukulele Club, they are everywhere now ,ours is in North Sydney and the members are so friendly and helpful, a ukulele costs only about $30 and it is relatively easy to learn to strum a tune.The internet has lots of easy lessons available, so you don't need a teacher.
For this old guy who turned 79 on Monday 15th Aug life is so so busy. Gym 5 times a week, spin classes and body pump and my wife gave "us" a series of dancing lessons on Modern Jive which we are about to start next week.Ready for hitting the dance floor on the five week cruise we are to take next February. Retirement years are the best years of your life.I am here to tell you.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:47 am »
Your loaf looks great Julie.  Thanks so much for sharing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2011, 07:48:46 am »
It certainly does sound like it for you guys dingdonny  :) :).  You are lucky you enjoy good health to be able to partake in all these activities - I take my hat off to you.  As far as ukulele strumming goes, I'm sure no-one could teach this little black duck how to be musical - I am hopeless and I have been asked not to sing by my 3 yr old grand-son so I must be bad  :D :D Happy birthday for last Monday and get those dancing shoes on ready for that wonderful cruise next year.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2011, 09:25:34 am »
Yes Happy Birthday dingdonny, very impressive ,dancing lesson and ukulele and a thermo cook as well. Enjoy the cruise,5 week, sounds wonderful.
Denise

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:35 am »
Made this last night, forgot to glaze  :P  DH doesn't like sultana, I put dried pear and cranberry only 480gr water.  Worried that the dough too soft, but turn out beautiful.  DD looooooves this, really lovely and not as dense as my normal bread.  Thank you, JulieO.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:29 am »
I could do with a slice of that right now with my coffee. It looks lovely.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Denzelmum

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 02:08:37 am »
Thanks Cookie!  Wish you're just around the corner, so I can drop some for you.
Vegetarian family in Sydney

When you take time to prepare healthy food for family and friends, you are offering them a special gift.  Not only will they feel nourished by the nutrients in the food but also by your generosity in creating delicious treats for their enjoyment.