Author Topic: Tangy Lamb Patties  (Read 9066 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tangy Lamb Patties
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:59:48 am »
Name of Recipe: Tangy Lamb Patties - this idea came from a Drake Supermarket specials brochure.
Number of People: 4 serves
Ingredients:

Medium sized onion cut into 4
1 clove garlic
1 tblspn oil
500g lamb mince (or make your own in the TMX)
1 teaspn curry powder
3 tblspns sweet chilli sauce (used the TMX version)
Juice of 1 lemon

Preparation:

Chop the onion & garlic for 3 seconds on speed 5.
Add the oil and saute on Varoma temp for 2 mins speed 1.
Add the curry powder, chilli sauce and lemon juice and mix together for 30 seconds speed 1.
Add the mince meat and mix on reverse for 1 minute on speed 2, no heat.

Roll into balls the size of a golf ball, place on a baking paper lined tray or dish and refrigerate until ready to cook.
Spray a non-stick frypan with olive oil and place the balls in the pan.  Press down to form a patty and cook until caramelized on both sides.  Makes approx 20-25 patties but you can make less by making them bigger.

For the sauce I thawed out some tomato & onion sauce leftover from something, added it to the pan and the lovely caramelization of the pan mixed in with the tomatoes made a nice, rich, dark sauce. Lovely with mashed potatoes and peas.

You could serve them with a mint/yoghurt dipping sauce with rice and pappadams.

members' comments

faffa - made these thanks JD - made my own mince from lamb rump that I had in the freezer (always buy it when I see it as the Moroccan lamb is a standby in our family). These are really yummy and would definitely make them again. They would also hold up to some veg being hidden in them for those of us that have fusspots and need to do so.

CP - I made these but they were very sloppy in texture before cooking. I plopped them onto baking paper in the frypan (with a mix of butter and oil) which meant they were easier to turn over and they held together better that way. Once they started to cook they started to crumble and they would've stuck to the frypan otherwise without the baking paper. Made up a gravy using the caramelized stuff and the vegie stock, water and with a bit of plain flour and served it with mashed potatoes and beans. I will have to make up some TM sweet chilli sauce because perhaps the commercial sort I used was what made it sloppy. They were very tasty and were gobbled up in 2 secs flat. Thanks JD for another great recipe.

JD - Don't know why they were so sloppy CP63, did you leave them to rest in the fridge for very long?  They sounded like a disaster to me and I was so surprised when you said they were very tasty at the end. I remember having to turn them carefully when I made them but they all stayed together OK. My home made chilli sauce was very thick so maybe that was the difference.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:28:33 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tangy Lamb Patties
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:52:20 am »
These would be nice with the chilli sauce in. Thanks for adding to my repertoire-again.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 12:41:40 pm »
Mmm thanks judy, another one to try.  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:24:04 pm »
Bewdy mate - Sam Kekovich would love you!!  Real Ozzie.  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 01:33:23 am »
Sounds like great Australia Day fare, along with some damper! ;D
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 07:06:21 am »
Sounds great Judy.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 01:50:37 pm »
made these for dinner last night thanks JD - made my own mince from lamb rump that I had in the freezer (always buy it when I see it as the Moroccan lamb is a standby in our family  ;)) These are really yummy and would defiantly make them again. They would also hold up to some veg being hidden in them for those of us that have fusspots and need to do so.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:10:55 am »
Thanks for trying & reviewing them Kathryn  :-* :-*

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 02:08:58 am »
Thanks for the recipe JD  :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 08:21:51 am »
I made these last night, but they were very sloppy in texture before cooking. I plopped them onto baking paper in the frypan (with a mix of butter and oil) which meant they were easier to turn over, and they held together better that way. Once they started to cook they started to crumble and they would've stuck to the frypan otherwise without the BP. Made up a gravy using the caremelized stuff and the vege stock, water and with a bit of plain flour, and served it with mashed potatoes and beans. I will have to make up some TM sweet chilli sauce because perhaps the commercial sort I used was what made it sloppy (and I know its going to kill me  :o). They were very tasty, and were gobbled up in 2 secs flat. Thanks JD for another great recipe  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:51:43 am »
Don't know why they were so sloppy CP63, did you leave them to rest in the fridge for very long?  They sounded like a disaster to me and I was so surprised when you said they were very tasty at the end :o :o  I remember having to turn them carefully when I made them but they all stayed together OK. My home made chilli sauce was very thick so maybe that was the difference.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 02:43:32 am »
They were not a disaster as I think the baking paper saved the day. The caremelisation under the patty helped abit to keep it together as well  ;) If your sauce is quite thick, I think thats the difference because the bought stuff was very runny.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand