Author Topic: Spicy Herb Salt from the Indian cookbook page 26 - Review  (Read 9430 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Spicy Herb Salt from the Indian cookbook page 26 - Review
« on: November 23, 2010, 10:40:46 am »
Well this is sort of a review. I thought, being a non-perishable item, it might be good for my hampers so, wary of what Andie was saying happens when you grind spicy things (eg dried red chillies etc), I put a face mask on and got stuck into it.  It is quite an involved recipe but it does make a lot (this is only a small quantity from the jar it made) but OMG, it nearly killed me making it.  I was coughing & spluttering, had burning lips (even with the mask on, it went right through that) and my nasal passages have had a good clear out.  I will be be happy if I wake up and find myself still alive in the morning.  I found I had to grind it twice as long as the recipe said and now I have to decide what to do with it.  As my first hamper is being used as a prize in a raffle and as a lot of the carers are elderly people, I just can't see them using it but I do have a SIL who loves anything spicy so I think it will go in their hamper.  I sprinkled a little on a piece of tomato to see if it knocked me off my feet and there was nothing about it I didn't like but I think sprinkled in soups, stews etc will be the way to go. Has anyone else out there made this - I don't know if I was brave or stupid when I picked this to make.  Oh and the lad at Foodland who helped me find the seaweed - I told him I would take a sample in for him to try on Thursday - poor lad, he doesn't know what he has let himself in for.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:07:03 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Spicy Herb Salt from the Indian cookbook page 26 - Review
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 11:30:17 am »
I was laughing right through your review of this Judy, especially the tomato bit.The things you do for us here on the forum.I'm just waiting for you to report back to the reaction of the lad at Foodland when he samples it.Make sure you have a camera. :D :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »
 :o Right, thanks Judy. Perhaps a bit less chilli?
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 07:33:14 pm »
We made this to put in our Christmas Cooking Class "goodie bags" and I didn't wear a mask and had no problems. Everyone who tasted it just loved it. Worst part was drying the celery etc in oven - took hours.
Used Nori for the dried seaweed.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 10:21:42 pm »
I thought the drying process was the easiest of all Shayla although wasn't too happy with having to have the oven on for so long during a very hot day. I also used Nori sheets.  Interesting about you not being affected by the fumes etc, you should have been in my kitchen  :D :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 05:16:58 am »
Judy I am pleased that yu woke up to find youself alive this morning. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Thanks for a great chuckle.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:24:57 am »
Made some more potato chips today and tried a few more spice/salt mixtures.  This was my favourite.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 07:55:36 am »
Judy .. Loved your review !!! It has inspired me to go look it up and to give it a go! Thank you!!! ( had images going on in my head...  Lol - glad you survived it all!!)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:02 am »
 ;D  I'll be interested in your review GF.