Author Topic: Lemon Cleaning Concentrate from the UK Thermomix site  (Read 99166 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Lemon Cleaning Concentrate from the UK Thermomix site
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:29:44 am »
This recipe is a great way to use up excess lemons, is cheap to make and would make great gifts.  Unlike the other lemon cleaner which uses coarse salt which causes damage to the bowl, this recipe is more gentle on it and I have only heard of 1 incidence of damage.  However, it has been requested that a warning be put on this recipe to that affect and it's up to you as to whether you make it or not. Personally I have had no problems whatsoever with this recipe and make sure I clean the bowl immediately after the mixture has been cooked and removed from the bowl. 

400 - 500g lemons (approx 4 large, cut into 3cm chunks)
300g salt - use fine cooking salt, not rock or sea salt flakes as they could damage your bowl.
300g water
100g vinegar

Place the lemon chunks including skin and pips in the TM bowl.  Chop 30 sec/speed 10.
Scrape down the bowl with a spatula then add the salt and water. Cook 5 mins/100oC/speed 4.
Add the vinegar.  Cook again 5 mins/100oC/speed 4.
Scrape down the bowl with the spatula. Blend 1 min/speed 10 - it will resemble lemon curd in appearance.
Do not leave the mixture in the TM bowl, once cooked pour into a jar or a heatproof plastic container. Allow cleaning concentrate to cool before covering with a vinegar-proof lid (either plastic or a metal one with an inside coating of plastic).
Straight away add enough water to your TM bowl to cover the blades and self-clean for 20 sec/speed 8 then rinse and dry.
Note - your bowl will be refreshed and shinier after making this recipe!
Mark the container clearly as to it's contents - this recipe is not for human consumption.

Check out the various uses on the above link.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 10:32:17 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
Re: Lemon Cleaning Concentrate from the UK Thermomix site
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:41:29 am »
Looks great and thanks so much for posting JD.  I've been on the lookout for something I can make and use that doesn't involve any harsh chemical nasties.  Very versatile too by the looks.

*sigh* oh to have a lemon tree!  (it is in my dreams, and one day it will come true)...

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:57:34 am »
I had to really scrounge my neighbour's overhanging lemon tree this morning o2k - I've used most of them for lemonade during the hot weather.  Maybe I could reach the higher branches if I get up the ladder....... I'd love to make more batches and give to everyone. Love the idea of a tablespoon in the washing machine and who doesn't like the smell of lemons in their house.

Offline opi2kenopi

• View Profile
    • The Opies: Family Food
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:16:31 am »
Without doubt, lemon is my favourite flavour/scent for just about anything!

And yes, brilliant gift idea...

Which gives me an idea...one of my besties just had a baby, what a perfect thing to add to my gift(s) for her.  Might just have to go out and buy me some lemons...

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:20:52 am »
thanks JD, how have you found it say for wiping a bench or stove down with?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 04:01:52 am »
Only just made it CP, cleaned the bathroom basin, stainless steel kitchen sink and wiped down the laminex topped cupboards.  Worked fine for me and I love the smell. I have a glass topped stove so don't know how it would go on there, I'll probably stick with my usual mix of water, dishwashing detergent and a dash of cloudy ammonia for that (my window cleaner uses that mix so I pinched the idea off him).

Offline earth mumma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:00:36 am »
Judydawn this recipe is very similar to the dishwashing one (that wrecked my bowl!!)  Is it very abrasive?  When making this I would probably get it out of the TM as soon as it is done to prevent it from etching the bottom of the TM jug.  ??? ???

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 06:49:51 am »
It is a little bit like that one earth mumma but I didn't use rock salt, just ordinary cooking salt.  It isn't all that abrasive.  I had completely forgotten about that other one and haven't made it since this warning was given , thanks for reminding me.  I might email H.O. and ask for their advice before making another batch.
I have emailed H.O. so will get back to you when I receive an answer.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:58:18 am by judydawn »

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:27:46 pm »
sounds interesting but think I will wait to hear back from what others thought of it once used..the info on the uK website is putting me off ie may need to rinse straight away and redo if marks..sounds like more work than its worth but like the handwash idea and the washing boost as well...look forward to hearing back from you JD re what HO says re affecting the bowl etc !
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 05:12:30 am »
EEK! I thought this sounded good and had on my list to do next week until reminded about the other one.

Will wait to see what you hear back from HO JD :)

Offline Snoozie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 12:51:29 am »
Any news?

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 01:41:22 am »
Would you believe I have only just come off the phone to a lovely young lass called Laura who contacted me from Mawson Lakes in Adelaide's northern suburbs.  H.O. had put her onto me as I had written to them about 4 weeks ago (!) telling them I didn't have a consultant and asking to be put in touch with someone close. She was only handed this request plus the one about the lemon/salt concentrate just recently.

So, apart from the good news that I now have a consultant who is going to put me on her list for emails about upcoming events and specials the other news is that H.O. sees no reason why this recipe from the UK should harm our machines.  I would definitely only use cooking salt though, not rock or sea salt flakes.

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 02:06:14 am »
Thanks for letting us know JD. We can all breath a sigh of relief now - phew!! It looked really good but I was concerned about some of the comments. I'll just need to remember to use only cooking salt. Is there any way to amend the original recipe to say so in case someone reads the recipe without all the posts? BTW glad to hear that you have a new consultant.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:51 am »
Thanks Twitterpated, have added a comment to my recipe but of course can't do anything about the UK link's ingredients.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 03:19:19 am »
If you only have rock salt, then grind it down to cooking salt before starting the recipe  ;) I know people have had concerns about this too after the other post but we are encouraged to do this as a consultant and we concluded that it was the rock salt, lemon and cooking etc that did the damage.

Saves another container in the pantry!!  ;) :D

Thanks for letting us know JD - might give this a whirl I think as I was pretty pleased with the dishwasher cleaner as a cleaner after my dishwasher decided that it didn't like it!
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!