Author Topic: Banana, Walnut and Date Bread, EDC  (Read 11107 times)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
Banana, Walnut and Date Bread, EDC
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:42:35 am »
I made this today and was really disappointed. It's gluggy, even though it was cooked through.The bananas I used were quite large and that may have been the issue.

The dates definitely do not need to be processed for 1 minute, mine were glued to the outside of the bowl after 30 seconds.

It also rises strangely and cracks on top. I notice the picture in the book does the same.

Also far too sweet with dates and sugar. Next time, I'd reduce the liquid by half and sugar to 100g. Though, I think I prefer my regular recipe which is very popular in my house! I'll post it later and link back.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Re: Banana, Walnut and Date Bread, EDC
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:35 am »
MJ, thanks for an honest review and recommendations.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 06:30:40 am »
thanks MJ i have been waiting to try this when the bananas went down in price , i have 3 bananas ready to go now. i will now wait for your recipe now  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline nazar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:42:51 pm »
 l like banana bread  would be good to try your version when you post it

South West WA AUSTRALIA

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:09 am »
Okay, here's my recipe: Mrs Woo's Banana Cake
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:44:10 am »
I've made this a few times and I agree, the texture is definitely not like a banana bread or cake is expected to be, and mine too always has a couple of cracks on the top. I wondered if it was something I was doing wrong (dense texture) but I continue to make it because we really like the taste! I mill the dates with the nuts to prevent sticking and it creates a nice crumbly mixture that comes away easily. I make it in a slice pan (and the overall shape doesn't have the big hump) and think of it as a slice rather than a cake or bread otherwise I too, would be disappointed and abandon it.  I like the combination of dates, walnuts and banana and also with the milled whole wheat grains it is quite wholesome and filling slice/snack. I reduced the amount of sugar a bit because as you say, the dates do give a lot of the sweetness. I made it again today with hazelnuts and raisins as I didn't have the other ingredients and the result was very similar.
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 11:50:13 am »
Kelsha, great idea to make it as a slice! It was tasty, but just too dense. As a slice it would be much lighter as it would take less time to cook. I'll make a note to mill the dates and nuts together.

Glad you persisted! Thanks so much.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Lisa70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »
Wow, I was so surprised when I read the earlier posts. I love this recipe, I've made it time and time again and everyone loves it. The only thing I do differently is cook it for 45 minutes, doesn't need the full hour in my oven. It does crack at the top but it doesn't effect the taste. I love the fact that you mill the grain. Fantastic recipe  :o

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:21:07 am »
Thanks Lisa. It's good to get lots of opinions.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 06:02:38 am »
i made this today and was very disappointed :( very dry on top, gluggy on bottom and not a nice taste :(
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline csrobinson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 06:34:23 am »
I have made this lots of times and it never lasts long in our house because it's so yummy. I love it's dense texture

I will say that I do tweak it a fair bit, playing around with sugar amounts and different flours. I have also subbed in zuchinni and carrot and it has still worked out great.

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 03:42:32 am »
Despite the mixed reviews I liked the sound of this.

I processed the dates and the nuts together, used 100g sugar, 1 egg (not in the mood for a lone egg yolk in the fridge ATM) halved the oil and added an extra banana.

It did crack on the top, and as you can see, I should have checked it before the hour was up :-))
However it is lovely and fairly healthy although still a little too sweet IMHO. Next time I'll try even less sugar and set the timer for 45 mins.

This lot love it so I don't know how well it keeps  ;D
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »
That looks really nice djinni ! I haven't made this for awhile, must make again.
Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 08:06:47 pm »
Djinni,  thanks for the suggestions. Will try this.