Author Topic: Effective Cockroach Control??  (Read 11438 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Effective Cockroach Control??
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:17:24 am »
I'm nearly at my wits end with the Northern Beaches Roach Brigade!  They're totally ignoring - albeit "sniggering" - I can even hear them! at - my efforts to bar their unwelcome entry or to move them on to a more heavenly existence >:(

I've recently had fantastic results using a mixture of honey and boric acid (1:1) to rescue the house from a plague of tiny black ants (mixed a spoon each of  boric acid an honey - or you could use jam, etc. Placed a smear on a small piece of paper and put it in their tracks. 2-3 days later there was not a trace of them.) so went searching the net to see if something similar would work for roaches.

This is what I'm trying today . . . . .
http://housekeepingexpert.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/eradicating-cockroaches-by-easy-and.html
(sugar powder = icing sugar)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Effective Cockroach Control??
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 01:35:46 am »
I have heard that 50 : 50 Borax / sugar is also effective.  Borax is a poison, though, so make sure that pets or kids don't get any where near it.  I also believe that clove essential oil deters them - NB deters, not kills, so this may not be a suitable solution.

There is also a commercially available product called, I think, Cockroach Hotel - apparently they check in but they never check out.  I can't remember where I saw that product so don't know if this is available in Australia, though.

Good luck, 'roaches are a real pain and I don't envy you. 
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 02:38:00 am »
goldfish - my sympathy to you. Roaches are my least favourite insect. I had a method of killing them on the yacht, will have to think about it and get back to you on it when I have a bit more time.

I do like the sound of the hotel though - check in - no check out!

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 02:56:42 am »
I don't like ants but I detest cockroaches. They make me feel yuk.
For the ants we use borax and icing sugar. We sprinkle it near the nests but need to do it each time it rains. Our brick paving always seems to have ant nests coming up everywhere.
For cockroaches I have only ever used a size 11 thong firmly applied. However this isn't the best for the smaller ones. I like the look of the eradication method you linked. Nikkit I will look forward to your method on the yachts.
When we lived in Broome the house issued to us was over 100 years old and quite unique. We used to resort to surface spray on a Friday afternoon after school and then leave town for the weekend. Come back on Sunday and clean up the bodies. We kept all food, crockery and cutlery in the fridge. Yuk!
Good luck in getting rid of the nasties Goldfish.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline djinni373

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 04:40:33 am »
Eeewww cockroaches-one of the few exceptions to the "live and let live" rule.

I like a scattergun approach. Wash the floors with mix of hot water vinegar and eucalyptus (they don't like eucalyptus apparently), get some old fashioned sticky traps (no chemicals just a sticky surface on the floor of the trap) and if you can cope with the thought of sharing some red wine and cake, grease the inside of a dish with oil or butter, put in some red wine and float a piece of cake on top, then put in a place where you know they are hanging out, e.g. under the fridge or stove. Our Hills District cockies took quite a shine to this but haven't needed to waste any red or cake for a long time ;D

I'm waiting to hear Nikkit's method too  :D :D :D

Hope the dough works for you goldfish
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 04:43:04 am by djinni373 »
“Age isn’t a number, it’s an attitude.“

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 06:19:30 am »
sounds like trifle  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 12:58:50 am »
Ok, so after a big weekend where my brother turned 40, a guy was bet 20 bucks he wouldn't ride a bike off the end of the pier - which he promptly did - and then didn't surface, so the bloke that made the bet had to jump in and rescue him and the bike (all ok...)  my brother accidentally ran over another chap  :o, (he's ok -ish too) a motorized lounge suite with disco lights and a massive sound system was the way to get around, plus a few other minor incidents  and I may have one or 7 too many beers...I have finally remembered my cocky killer method!  :-)) :P

Sorry ladies - another story with this one...

I worked with a bloke who also lived on a yacht, and he had an unfortunate cockroach infestation, which I did not realise until he made me a very bad cup of coffee one day - with a roach floating in it.  :o unfortunately I did not see this roach until AFTER I had taken my first sip (and had then decided the coffee was bad and I was wondering if I could secretly pour it overboard) The cocky floated to the top, I saw it, did the old girly squeal thing, tossed the cup over board and promptly puked everywhere.  :o

I'm not too sure if he was more peeved about losing the cup or me puking all over the deck!

Not really a good look! And I don't think I ever went back on his boat again - or let him make me another coffee!

Anyway - It was not long after that incident that I began to notice cockies on our yacht. I think one may have hitched a ride with me from his boat. Either that or they came on board when we had tied up to a friends Indonesian fishing boat.

It wasn't good, they bred like rabbits. They were everywhere. My hippy/holistic/don't hurt the environment method of mint and lavender and eucalyptus oil and all the other "feel good" ideas I was told about did diddly squat. I think the errr... dope smoke.... made them rather frisky and they were jumping each other like no tomorrow - and they were always eating! (gave them the munchies too! :-))

So I resorted to some good old chemical warfare. (Although I did call my Grandma and ask her and she said "DDT Nik, only way to go" Hmmmm....maybe not quite THAT much chemical warfare Grandma!)

I bought a couple of cans of the spray stuff where you shut everything up tight,  turn it on and bolt out the door. And don't come back for a week. Bit hard when it was our only home and we had no-where else to go! I'd clear out the inside (plates etc) and put them all up on deck, close all the portholes, set off a bomb, climb the steps, shut the hatch, realise I hadn't checked to make sure the lights were off or the gas was turned off, open the hatch, hold my breath, check everything and leave.  Gasp!

Go to work, come home, open everything up and sleep on deck that night as it was pretty gassy down stairs!

Dead cockies everywhere! It worked...sort of. I had to do this a lot as they just kept coming out of the wood work. It took a month or so of continual bombing before we saw a change. The cockies got lighter in colour and smaller and then began to breed new ones that were rather deformed. They were not pretty at all.

We did finally get rid of the cockies, but at a price. The paint peeled off the walls of the yacht where the bombs were put, the herbs I had forgotten to put up on deck all died, I used hundreds of litres of water washing everything from top to bottom - easy outside as it was a bucket in the ocean job, but inside I washed with fresh water, so I carted a lot of 20 litre containers. And we had headaches for a while! (I don't want to know what was in those bombs...)

In hindsight Grandma's DDT may have been a better option as I bet I would have only had to use it once!

So I really don't have a good method of killing cockies.   I take a deep breath now and squash them thoroughly with whatever I have handy. I don't like the idea of lots of chemicals anymore, and I have used the borax/sugar bait here at home (which must work as I don't have a lot of roaches).

AND I might add I haven't used the dope smoke method in a long time either. Not that it worked  :-))

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 01:34:30 am »
Oh Nikkit,  ........what a life. ;) : :o

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 02:33:18 am »
Life has never been dull for you Nikkit  :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 02:55:06 am »
It has settled somewhat Judy! I'm not too sure if I could keep up now :)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 03:35:29 am »
Nikkits story reminds me of our local Asian restaurant that had a cockroach problem, after closing they set of 10 of those cockroach bombs, but forgot to turn off the gas pilot light on there stove, boom they blew the side wall out of there shop, no cockroaches in a ten k radius for years. Luckily no human as injured.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:28 am »
OMG Jen! How funny! 10 of those bombs would have well and truly cleaned the place out even without blowing the joint half to bits!!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 05:01:16 am »
That's one way to get rid of them  :D  Lucky no one was hurt though.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 05:28:41 am »
Oh girls my iPad screen is all spittled on. Very funny stories. Thank you.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 05:34:47 am »
I detest cockroaches as much as the rest of you; like your solution Coolie1, size 11 thong sounds good. We also had the Broome problem where they ate our potatoes and also our clothes. Yuk.