Author Topic: Tick induced allergy to red meat :(  (Read 6129 times)

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Tick induced allergy to red meat :(
« on: December 26, 2013, 11:54:57 pm »

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/just-one-bite-ticks-and-allergies-on-the-north-shore-20131226-2zxru.html

Now it seems official - for just over 3 years now I've not been able to enjoy the simply grilled lamb chops I was raised on -  or any other red meat for that matter! My first experience was when my body reacted in such a way my torso resembled one of those relief maps (all in red, raised vast areas) of the world.  When this happened (of course, late at night :-))) I honestly thought something had gotten into the bed and had bitten me all over ???  I had a shower, poured what seemed gallons of white vinegar over the affected areas, etc, etc, etc.  Within a couple of days, those bright red incredibly itchy "continents" gradually began to fade into pale pink.  We examined the contents of the previous night's meal - a beautifully spiced casserole with lamb chops  . . was it the spices?  The second time it happened - it was after eating steak.  After a couple more experiences  I began to blame the meat, I changed butchers (several times :-))), blamed additives in the meat - whatever I could think of next.  (even Ikea Swedish meat balls - I loved them!! - even produced angry red hives within an hour)

It wasn't until I mentioned it to a new friend who was a naturopath and she asked if I'd been bitten by ticks that some explanation, as weird as it seemed, was out there. . . . .I thought for a moment, the last one been almost a year before when I had one on the back of my neck.  Later, a dr asked the same question but didn't confirm anything.  So, now I guess it's official . . thanks to the SMH ;D ;D  I've stuck to seafood, poultry, all manner of egg dishes, etc, and I thank my lucky stars though as it seems I can tolerate small amounts of chorizo . . .  but I do miss a lamb roast!!  :'( :'(

I'm not sure if it will ever go away, just not willing to take the risk atm . . . .

I live on the northern beaches of Sydney and I wonder if this phenomenon is confined to this area or is it becoming widespread.  If you do live in a "tick area" please take extra care and be more than vigilant in checking yourselves (and your pets - vet fees are exorbitant!!) for them and pulling them out asap.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tick induced allergy to red meat :(
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:12:00 am »
GF I am glad that you found out what was causing the rash. I sympathise with you over the lamb roast. We don't eat a lot of red meat but not being able to have it if you wished must be agonising.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:22:42 am »
Very interesting, and then maybe you should read this: Lyme Disease. Authorities like to deny it exists in Australia despite recorded sufferers.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 05:28:34 am »
I find it confusing that the authorities say we don't have it here, when we obviously do.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:19:45 am »
Gee GF that's terrible but bet your glad you have some answers. Do you think you will ever be able to tolerate read meat again?

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:55:00 am »
Very interesting.
Lyme disease is prevalent over here.
Dd was bitten when young and then tested for Lyme disease a bit after.
Never heard of the meat thing before and wonder if the allergy is worldwide?
Glad you are ok GF.
My DH would not cope, he doesn't like fish.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32:25 am »
Wow GF I'm glad you found out what was causing the nasty rash.It must be hard for you to refrain from eating red meat especially your favourite lamb roast.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:56:39 am »
That stinks >:(

I do love rack of lamb :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 11:12:12 am »
GF,  that is awful.  At least you have an answer.  Is there a possibility that you will grow out of it? 

mcmich

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 04:14:39 pm »
That's awful for you GF. Lyme Disease is a nasty piece of business too.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »
Glad you found out the cause GF it will be hard to stay away from lamb

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 07:37:19 pm »
GF, glad you have found an answer hope it might be something that your immune system might overcome.  Hugs.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 11:53:21 am »
GF, how awful for you and how difficult to diagnose. I hope for your sake your intolerance decreases.
Ticks are the bain of our employees life.  They have become a huge problem in recent years. It used to be they were only a big problem around eneabba but now are prevalent in all areas of the forest. Fortunately no one has had a reaction like this. Generally it is localised redness and itching.  A new bite tends to set off older bites.  We are unable to offer much to protect from these.
Denise

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2014, 12:48:48 am »
Bedlam when my DH was doing his national service in QLD they were given an injection against ticks. Admittedly this was over 40 years ago. It was probably only for a short time too.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 10:45:40 am »
GF were you just on "Today Tonight"?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand