Author Topic: Trudy Olive's Tortillas  (Read 5891 times)

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
Trudy Olive's Tortillas
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:41 am »
Just want to say that I was very excited when I was waiting to get my TMX and discovered that I'd be able to make torillas as we love Fajitas and Burritos. When I found Trudy Olive's recipe for them, I was most eager to try it out. I have now made it twice and find it a wonderful dough to work with. Have had DH & DS's help to cook them as I roll them and put them on the BBQ plate for them to turn.
I love being able to make things from scratch so I know what is in them. 

Just need to be aware that when rolling the torillas you need plenty of flour on your rolling pin and cupboard - I roll my dough very thin. (I don't have a TM mat and haven't seen one to know if that would be a help when making the tortillas). Will probably try making them in my large non-stick saucepan next time as I don't have a frying pan which is why I have used the bbq plate.

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
Re: Trudy Olive's Tortillas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:01:06 am »
I love my mat for rolling out tortillas.  You don't need as much flour and it makes it all so much easier.  I personally wouldn't bother buying a TMX brand one.  There are lot's of great mats at kitchen stores that will do the same job for less money. Mine is one that can be cut into any shape (to fit a baking tray etc).  And yes I have checked and double-checked that it can be cut!!!  No nasty fibre glass.

Happy cooking Roxy!  :)

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:52:50 pm »
I just rolled mine between two sheets of silicone baking paper. I must get myself a marble rolling pin though, you need a heavy rolling pin or you get strange shapes!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:22:47 am »
A marble rolling pin?  ???  Something else to put on my wishlist.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:11:08 am »
I have a very heavy wooden one (if I can find it) plus a plastic one which gets used all the time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:26:53 am »
Mum had a marble rolling pin but it disappeared after she died. I have a tupperware one but then when my BIL was very ill 12 months ago DH stayed out in his shed on his lathe working. It was how he coped. He made me a lovely jarrah one. It is really heavy and just perfect.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 07:06:26 am »
My DH also had a lathe until recently Cookie - finally all too much for him but in his time he made 6 large & 3 small rocking horses for friends and relatives (all whilst in his wheelchair) plus numerous side tables and odds and ends.  Never thought to ask him to make rolling pins.  Speaking of Jarrah, I used to work for Millars (WA) P/L back in the 70's and it was just my boss and me in the SA office.  He went away once and a Mr Saunders, one of the Sales Directors from Perth, came over to relieve him.  Was that an experience, he used to start dictating letters at 100 mph as soon as he stepped foot in the back door ??? ???  Anyway we got on very well and when he got back to Perth he sent me over a jarrah fruit bowl.  I never used it and it just sat in the cupboard (DH & DF had made me plenty of bowls over the years) and eventually I gave it to Mum's village fete to sell.  If only I had held on to it for a few more years Cookie, I would have sent it over to you. :'( :'(
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.